hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We weren’t speaking to him first, Hearts had spoke to him a few times we then said we’d like to have him in for a chat Hearts shat it threw silly money at him and he signed. No offer was made from us thankfully.
    Regardless of how it happened, I’m surprised that Kyle Lafferty and Anthony Stokes were ever on a list of computer generated suitable players

2. Log in to remove the advert

Great video. Shame about the presenters scarf tho

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    The three years pre and post relegation are like night and day though. At our end of the market there are no certainties but it’s frightening how bad some of the huddies signed by Butcher and Fenlon were.
    This. And it’s not just about the recruitment of new players, it’s the retention and early contract extension offers of currently players that seems to have improved. Plus, with this new structure in place, I believe we’ll have better continuity in the squad and playing style for future managers when Lennon eventually moves on (hopefully not for a long time).

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
    Regardless of how it happened, I’m surprised that Kyle Lafferty and Anthony Stokes were ever on a list of computer generated suitable players
    Think the relevant bit you've missed there is that it's not all done by computer. There's players who show up great based on statistics but are not fancied by the management team, likewise there's players who will have really bad statistics but the manager really likes. It's not a black and white way of defining if a player is good or not.

FWIW i was delighted to hear that as i hate this management by spreadsheet that seems to be creeping into football, yards covered, assists, % of passes, hot spot areas on the pitch etc etc etc.......There can be some use for it obviously but when assessing how a player or the team has played IMO a manager should be able to make a judgement on a player based on their eyes, experience and gut feeling (this isn't obviously relevant for identifying new players).

Great watch. This club is really moving forward. Makes you see the relative success on the park isn't a fluke.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    The Daily Record have a really interesting video up about the science and strategy of how Hibs identify and recruit talent. I know many of you don't like clicking through to Daily Record articles but this is well worth 20 minutes of your time. Great to see how well the club appear to be working behind the scenes. It's no coincidence that the quality of our signings have got so much better in the last few years. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/f...-club-11758466
    Well spotted.

That was a great watch, it gives me massive confidence that - even if we have short term setbacks - that the club is on such a good course strategically.

I was supposed to be at the last .net visit to HTC, but had to pull pout last minute, so really interesting to hear from all these people - who seem really dedicated.

What a great insight into the team behind the team. Promoting the video through a National Newspaper is a master stroke and will give it a good chance of a wider audience. First 3 names on the team sheet - Dempster, Craig, Lennon. I am really proud to be a Hibby.

I can see a big difference coming between the top four and the rest of the league in the future, maybe with hertz scraping 5th. The rest of the league will find it difficult to keep up.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    This is our biggest and best chance of consistently challenging and growing at the top end of the table. Financially, we are one of the stronger teams in the league, broadly comparable with Aberdeen and Hearts, though both probably have the edge on us financially at this moment in time (Aberdeen because they have some people plugging money into them, and have also had European football and some good finishes in the league, Hearts because of the huge amounts of money the fans put in via FoH).

Spending what we have in the right areas and in the right way could be the thing that gives us the advantage over similarly sized clubs, and done well can close or virtually eradicate the gap between us and The Rangers (I think the gap to Celtic is too big, and will remain too big for a considerable period).

The Rangers will eventually have to downscale their spending - their hopes rest on European football but for me, they're miles away from being good enough to guarantee it, and without it they can't afford to spend enough to compete with Celtic. There's not a huge difference in the standard of player that they can attract over the players that Aberdeen, Hearts, or ourselves could. They're more likely to pay over the odds for players of similar ability to the ones we're all signing.

That brings them back into the pack with the rest of us, so having a solid set up at the club and a well executed recruitment strategy could see us grow to a point where we're consistently second, and who knows, we might even get close enough at some point to challenge for top spot.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    We haven't really seen the success stories under Lennon that we did under Stubbs. All our best players were here when Stubbs arrived or were signed by him.

Admittedly, we seem to be beyond signing junk but then we are spending more money.

It's still reasonably early in Lennon's Hibs career and there is no doubt he is doing his job and he undoubtedly has some great qualities. It will be the next couple of windows that will decide whether he is getting more out of Stubb's signings and the bulk of his team or if he has benefited from them improving as good players quite often do. A couple of really good signings that were not known quantities would see my own undecided view on Lennon change to a positive one fairly quickly.
    I prefer Lennon as a manager, but there is no doubt that at this moment it looks like Stubbs made the better signinings.