hibs.net Messageboard

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar

Wee family Christmas traditions.

What wee traditions do you have that are probably not mainstream.

Taking a photo of our 8 year old this year filling up 2 glasses of whisky for Santa and his elf before going to bed. I've done this every year and had a look back at the wee collection we now have and it's a brilliant snap shot in time showing how he's grown.

Merry Christmas everyone!

2. Log in to remove the advert

For years we would open our presents in the morning then my Dad would go to ‘make the breakfast’, ‘clear the rubbish’ or some other excuse. He’d disappear for a few minutes then reappear with another present for my sister and I that ‘Santa had left with him’. As we got older we started to joke about it but now that it’s stopped I miss it. I’m hopeful it will make a comeback for his 1st Christmas with his granddaughter tomorrow.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    We always go to the brunton theatre in Musselburgh to see the funbox Christmas show on Christmas Eve before heading up to winter wonderland. We go to Santa’s grotto then go on a few off the rides. Seeing the joy on my wee girls face is better than any present I could ever get. When we come home she goes out and sprinkles the reindeer food on the path before leaving Santa’s whisky and mince pies and a carrot for Rudolph. I’m sitting enjoying the big fellas whisky and mince pies now.
    Merry Christmas.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For years we would open our presents in the morning then my Dad would go to ‘make the breakfast’, ‘clear the rubbish’ or some other excuse. He’d disappear for a few minutes then reappear with another present for my sister and I that ‘Santa had left with him’. As we got older we started to joke about it but now that it’s stopped I miss it. I’m hopeful it will make a comeback for his 1st Christmas with his granddaughter tomorrow.
    If you've not already told him how much you enjoyed it then you definitely should. Sounds like a great tradition and is the sort of thing I was thinking about, maybe you should continue it with your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    We always go to the brunton theatre in Musselburgh to see the funbox Christmas show on Christmas Eve before heading up to winter wonderland. We go to Santa’s grotto then go on a few off the rides. Seeing the joy on my wee girls face is better than any present I could ever get. When we come home she goes out and sprinkles the reindeer food on the path before leaving Santa’s whisky and mince pies and a carrot for Rudolph. I’m sitting enjoying the big fellas whisky and mince pies now.
    Merry Christmas.
    Merry Christmas LB. I come from Musselburgh but have never heard of those events. Maybe it's time I spent another Christmas there.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We used to do similar - after all my presents were opened there would always be a subtle, or not too subtle, reason for me to look behind the couch where one last pressie would be lurking!
    Mon the Hibs.

As kids, we weren’t allowed to go into the living room until my dad had peeked in first to see if Santa had been.

my sister (and brother in law) now does the same with my nephews

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Merry Christmas LB. I come from Musselburgh but have never heard of those events. Maybe it's time I spent another Christmas there.
    The brunton is great at Christmas. They do a pantomime and also the funbox show. I prefer it to the Kings theatre.
    Merry Christmas to you as well.

United we stand here....

Me, my Father in law & two of my Wifes Uncles used to go to the Jewel Miners & Christen Christmas with a few beers whilst women cooked the meal. One Uncle died, then there were three if us, another Uncle died then there were two of us. The Father in law died & that left me, **** that, would cost me a fortune drinking on my own 😆

We used to get our presents in a sack and at the bottom there always used to be a satsuma and a 50p piece.

That’s what I remember over all the main gifts.