hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Remember him?

Remember him?

Clayton Donaldson... Scored twice for Sheff Unt.V villa.....MOTM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Was at us at a very unfortunate time. Had pace to burn and had a brilliant career.

Good player now. Was raw when at us but the potential was there. I think his spell with us helped his development.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Never forget his hatrick against Killie. I'm sure he missed a penalty too?

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He did.pretty sure Dean sheils scored a pen tho.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Was at us at a very unfortunate time. Had pace to burn and had a brilliant career.
    Brilliant career? “Decent” would be a better description.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    He's carved out a very decent career down here. Good luck to him.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member
    Yeah I remember Clayton - the great striking hope as signed by Johnny Collins.

He had pace to burn and knew where the goal was but his play was a bit one dimensional as I recall. First touch was a bit shakey and yes he was definately a bit raw - too raw at that time to make a big impact in the Scottish top flight.

However he's gone on to have a decent career - I think he went to a lower league English club after Hibs where he had the rough edges knocked off a bit more. Interesting contrast between SPL and lower English leagues (which probably have similar budgets) is that physique and athletic ability seems to be more highly valued in the English lower leagues with technical ability a bit lower down the priorities. I suppose it's maybe partly to do with the massive amount of games they play in these leagues (46 games a season - f-ing ridiculous really). And at the same time maybe I'm hitting upon the reason English International sides are historically so sheight - their league system does the opposite of encouraging skillful players to come through.

Yes and I remember him and a few others. Ones in the same boat include James Collins and Eoin Doyle, raw talents who have "found themselves" down South.

Not sure what the purpose of these threads regarding successful ex-players is though. They're gone and they ain't coming back.

Donaldson was another poor Collins signing for me.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think Collins tipped him to play for England. He was part of a rapidly declining Hibs side so we probably didn't get the best out of him. His career has been pretty good though and I imagine he'd do well in our current side.

Edit: Having checked his wiki page I see he's now playing for Jamaica at international level. Played for the England National Game XI just before joining us along with Craig Mackail Smith.
    Last edited by G B Young; 24-12-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    I think Collins tipped him to play for England. He was part of a rapidly declining Hibs side so we probably didn't get the best out of him. His career has been pretty good though and I imagine he'd do well in our current side.

Edit: Having checked his wiki page I see he's now playing for Jamaica at international level. Played for the England National Game XI just before joining us along with Craig Mackail Smith.
    Thought he was class with us and people didn't like him because he wasn't GOC or Riordan.

@hibs.net private member micksoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
    He did.pretty sure Dean sheils scored a pen tho.
    He missed a penalty and scored 2 penalties, other scorer was Curier

Think Donaldson was unlucky at hibs. Collins seen a player in there and signed him up and Collins has been proved right. There was a player there. He just wasn't ready ready yet and for whatever reason hibs didn't want to give him the time to develop into the hood striker he has been for the past 5 years.

Seemed like an eternity before we eventually signed him from York City and The Kit Kat Stadium. Ex Hibs player Billy McEwan ( There's only one King Billy that's McEwan fame) didn't want him to go as I don't think any fee was required.

Decent player.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post

In the grand scheme of things, considering the thousands of hopeful players who come through every year and never sign a pro contract, yes he's had a brilliant career.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDomofFife84 View Post
    Donaldson was another poor Collins signing for me.

Dear me.

There's a set narrative isn't there, and people just cannot re-evaluate things.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    I comparison to the majority of players that come and go through us over the past 20 years or any of JC signings I would say yes, brilliant.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Thought he was class with us and people didn't like him because he wasn't GOC or Riordan.
    He didn't link well with Fletcher and that was a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes and I remember him and a few others. Ones in the same boat include James Collins and Eoin Doyle, raw talents who have "found themselves" down South.

Not sure what the purpose of these threads regarding successful ex-players is though. They're gone and they ain't coming back.
    Just a wee bit stimulating conversation buddy 😀😀

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post

what a game that was, sure he scored at least one penalty that day, missed another and big Macka ended up saving one for us, ended up 4/5-1 to us did it not? As for Donaldson anyway I was always a fan and he was definitely one of JC's better signings. was sorry he never stayed with us a bit longer but he's someone I've always watched out for and seems to have done pretty well since moving on, key player for Birmingham previously. wish him all the best.