hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was excellent against Celtc, very good against The Rangers, poor against Aberdeen (but so were all of his teammates).

He was ok today, probably poor against his own standards but I don't think the formation suits him.
    Agree. Seems to deep for me, trying to do too much and exposed when we lose the ball with 2 wingers against most teams. Answer is to play narrower but also quite enjoying some of this wing play so?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
    Agree. Seems to deep for me, trying to do too much and exposed when we lose the ball with 2 wingers against most teams. Answer is to play narrower but also quite enjoying some of this wing play so?
    Even if our wingers don't always see that much of the ball they're a constant threat to the wing backs who have to remain aware of them which keeps the wing backs minds occupied.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    John McGinn is the most pivotal player in our team. Even if he isn’t at his best he’s our best player. Only Dylan McGeough has as much influence, and he’s lost without McGinn.
    He’s a player that we won’t be able to replace.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Not saying he’s staying or going but I think if he is going should stay until after cup game against Hearts.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoYO! View Post
    He's also probably picking up on the fact that the fans are getting on his back/ moaning if he's not absolutely perfect...
    He had betterr get used to that then, it's all part of being a pro foitballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Word on the street in Paisley is that he could be off to West Brom for 3 Million
    No idea if any milage in this or just St Mirren fans desperate for their cut of a Big TransferFee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    there's nae word on the street at the East End o' Embra but I have said before that it could be entirely possible that some

panic stricken English championship club, or even a Premiership club might fling in some silly money to the club, and to the player and his agent. hopefully not this coming window. The Baggies may well be in the bracket I mentioned though.

Quote Originally Posted by seanshow View Post
    Every day John McGinn is with us he will remain a legend, but do you think any of these options are the cause of more error strewn performances recently.

• Carrying an injury/illness/personal issue.
    • Slight loss of form,tired and ready for the winter break.
    • Saving himself for bigger games ahead.
    • Behind the scene negotiations/pre contract with other club arranged.
    • Unhappy with his team mates, thinks he's carrying the team.

He quickly applauded the crowd at the end of the game today and was the first person up the tunnel, very unlike him.
    1) ..... He doesn't look injured or unfit.
    2) ..... Possibly, but his schedule hasn't been any tougher than that of guys currently playing better than him.
    3) ..... I don't think SJM is the kind of guy to deliberately drop his effort in order to up it in 'bigger' games ... besides its not his effort which has dropped.
    4) ..... I suppose its possible, but if it was a pre contract I'm sure the press would have been tipped off.
    5) ..... That I cant believe, it seems to me as if there's still a very good team spirit at ER just now and I cant think of a period since he joined us where I thought he was carrying the team, in which case I don't see how he could think that .... it is possible he isn't happy about being in a two man midfield all the time, because its stifling his opportunities to get forward.

Whatever is going on he is clearly off form at the moment, but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened to him and if there's one thing he has shown its that his effort. application and willingness to get on the ball never diminish and because of that he will get back to his best, as he always does. He aint Super John McGinn for nothin'

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Lennon mentioned he was harsh on the players after the Dons match - they were tired
    after a fought couple of hard fought games.

Add this to the fact that SJM over the last 2 seasons has not had much of a break either on Hibs business (on or off doing promotions) of away on Scotland duty - the guys a bit of a machine but he’s human. It’s not just about fitness there’s the mental fatigue that can creep in it’s a funny time of year November in my workplace had a few folks that would benefit from a wee break.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I was just thinking he wasn't himself at all today when during the second half he weighted a lovely pass with his right foot in front of Boyle.

He's set a high bar for himself, that's for sure, but I there's no way watching that game that you'd have thought McGinn was our most saleable asset. Many players played a lot better than him today.

I heard a rumour from a fairly decent source a few weeks ago, that he is off to West Ham for £4.5 million in January.
    If we get offered that kind of money I'd take it tbh...he hasn't been at his best for quite sometime and that money could be used wisely to strengthen the squad. Fwiw k don't think we will get anything like that for SJM...he is a good midfielder but has become very inconsistent this season at top level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Scott Brown could be an impetuous idiot at times when he was that age and very immature with it.

McGinn will mature into a fantastic player at a very high level. Been a pleasure to have him.
    Exactly this, a dip in form for young guy whom we have loaded pressure on for so long now, he will com good again starting wednesday I reckon ...the corners and.freekicks thing is a weird one as his ability to hit a moving ball is great why not a static one ??

Probably just a load of rubbish and pure coincidence, but.. A few weeks ago I did notice that John did start following a chap by the name of Ross Wilson on Instagram. Ross Wilson just happens to be Director of Football Operations at Southampton.

Possibly distracted by a move?

Ross_Wilson7 - for anyone who fancies a look.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    I can't say I've ever seen a really bad performance from John. I'd class a really bad game as uninvolved, hiding or generally being a liability. The least I can ever say of his performances is that he demands the ball, takes responsibility, tries to make incisive passes and runs, and covers more of the pitch than anyone else. It may not always come off, the opposition may play specifically to restrict him, but he always offers something.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He was poor today but still played the pass of the match to put Boyle in one on one. He’ll be better at Tynie with Bartley behind him.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    there's nae word on the street at the East End o' Embra but I have said before that it could be entirely possible that some

panic stricken English championship club, or even a Premiership club might fling in some silly money to the club, and to the player and his agent. hopefully not this coming window. The Baggies may well be in the bracket I mentioned though.
    It was West Ham notThe Baggies My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He was poor today but still played the pass of the match to put Boyle in one on one. He’ll be better at Tynie with Bartley behind him.
    That was Stokes not McGinn.

He was brilliant against Celtic and then went off the boil a bit since then, he'll be back to his best on Wednesday I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    That was Stokes not McGinn.
    The "defence splitter" was from Stokes, but McGinn knocked a lovely ball out wide to Boyle in the second half as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The "defence splitter" was from Stokes, but McGinn knocked a lovely ball out wide to Boyle in the second half as well.

He played a superb diagonal just inside our half right onto Boyle's chest in the 1st half, must've been 40 yards, Stokes tried the same pass 5 mins later and it sailed over Boyle's head, both great players on their day.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    He played a superb diagonal just inside our half right onto Boyle's chest in the 1st half, must've been 40 yards, Stokes tried the same pass 5 mins later and it sailed over Boyle's head, both great players on their day.
    McGinn also sent a few diagonals into the stand yesterday.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    In fairness to John, I was shouting for the ball

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I think his form has dipped a wee bit of late and suspect it's due to a wee bit of fatigue more than anything else - he's played pretty much every 90 mins for us this season and probably sometimes while nursing wee knocks. I suspect he's probably looking forward to a short break (just hope he's still in a Hibs jersey at the end of it).

Yes there's been some speculation about him of late but he doesn't seem the type to let that affect his game - still putting plenty of effort in - just the odd stray pass creeping in = fatigue I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    My point was they both played a couple of superb passes but they also played a few shockers too, particularly McGinns free kicks and corners, some where brutal.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    As we already knocked back a 1.7m offer before SJM had any caps and was plying his trade in the championship. 4m should be the starting bid imo .
    I would like to see him sign a contract extension, thus giving him better wages and guaranteeing us top dollar when he does go ( preferably next season or being greedy , the next again )
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

We really need a minimum of 2 clubs to show a serious interest in Super John, we'd all hate him to go at a knock down price.

Did anyone see Leeann Dempster on Sky Sports today, she said they are not welcoming bids or attention but she knows there will be people interested.