hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics

Winter Olympics

ANyone else think it's going to miss the roided out Russians?? Being in Sweden it's always quite a big event as they generally do well. Looking forward to it think the ioc have bottled it a bit with letting the Russians compete under non country rules.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ANyone else think it's going to miss the roided out Russians?? Being in Sweden it's always quite a big event as they generally do well. Looking forward to it think the ioc have bottled it a bit with letting the Russians compete under non country rules.
    The IOC have acted in the spirit of the Olympics. Clean Russian athletes deserve to compete under a neutral flag.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Looking forward to the hockey. The NHL aren't on board but a few big names will be playing regardless.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Agree about the hockey. I usually look forward to it but not sure now.

I thought it was in S Korea?

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    Agree about the hockey. I usually look forward to it but not sure now.

I thought it was in S Korea?
    It is in South Korea. I think the poster meant that he lives in Sweden and the WO is a big deal there
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I similarly misunderstood the OP, was sure it was in South Korea not Sweden

A wonderful country that I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of years living and working in, I'm watching as much to see how the country is shown to the world as the sport itself...i usually enjoy the winter olympics more than the summer games anyway...

My knowledge of some of the sports in the Winter Olympics is really limited, but I was just watching a snowboarding event which was really exciting, then back to curling which, to me, is really boring in comparison. There's obviously a lot of skill involved in curling, and credit to the competitors too, but I really can't get into it at all. It looks like bowls on ice to me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    My knowledge of some of the sports in the Winter Olympics is really limited, but I was just watching a snowboarding event which was really exciting, then back to curling which, to me, is really boring in comparison. There's obviously a lot of skill involved in curling, and credit to the competitors too, but I really can't get into it at all. It looks like bowls on ice to me.
    Curling certainly requires skill and accuracy but it’s a bit more than that. Tactics and chess-like strategy is important. I’ve never curled in my life but I don’t mind watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Curling certainly requires skill and accuracy but it’s a bit more than that. Tactics and chess-like strategy is important. I’ve never curled in my life but I don’t mind watching it.
    It's OK. Beats some of the games I've endured at ER in the past.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Curling has been enjoyable but the ice hockey and speed skating has been fantastic entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Curling has been enjoyable but the ice hockey and speed skating has been fantastic entertainment.

Curling is like bowls for me. Never played either, but they have a strange hypnotic effect and I can end up watching either for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Curling is like bowls for me. Never played either, but they have a strange hypnotic effect and I can end up watching either for hours.
    Steve Cram is Mr Curling too!

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    The speed skating has been enjoyable this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    The speed skating has been enjoyable this morning.
    I see Elise Christie fell over again, didn't that happen at the last Winter Olympics and didn't she get disqualified then as well? I do feel for her, she's a really good speed skater but this wasn't her stronger event.

I see Elise Christie fell over again, didn't that happen at the last Winter Olympics and didn't she get disqualified then as well? I do feel for her, she's a really good speed skater but this wasn't her stronger event.
    I like your empathy, it reflects well on you. My first thought was, repeatedly falling over in major finals might be a sign that she should find herself a sport shes actually good at. But im a **** like that

Im liking Chloe Kim at the snowboarding. Fantastic.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I’ve been watching loads of the Winter Olympics for the first time. I have to say I’ve become hooked on it. I found the whole carry on with the ski jump and the wind to be a bit tedious though.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I like your empathy, it reflects well on you. My first thought was, repeatedly falling over in major finals might be a sign that she should find herself a sport shes actually good at. But im a **** like that

Im liking Chloe Kim at the snowboarding. Fantastic.
    Christie would probably be really good at the snowboarding, they all seem to fall over as well

Britain up and running in the medal table. Looking good for at least one medal in the women’s skeleton bob as well. I’ve been absolutely hooked on all this years events, especially the curling.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Question.

In the figure skating and ice dancing, are the couples allowed to be same-sex?

Edit.... too slow, Hibs.net. They're not .
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 16-02-2018 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Question.

In the figure skating and ice dancing, are the couples allowed to be same-sex?

Edit.... too slow, Hibs.net. They're not .
    They can definitely be same sex in the single skating

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Same for me. Never played bowls or curling in my life but if they are on TV I can sit and watch for hours.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Elise Christie fell again in the semi final. It was her fault this time though. The final run of the skeleton is coming up. Britain in with a good chance in this one.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Elise Christie fell again in the semi final. It was her fault this time though. The final run of the skeleton is coming up. Britain in with a good chance in this one.
    From my limited knowledge of the sport that looked some run by Yarnold. Think she's got the gold.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

And the other British lady gets the bronze as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    she loves falling over. Floor gymnastics is maybe her sport.

I feel sorry for Christie. World champion in a sport Scotland has little heritage with and still in contention for an Olympic medal.

Yet representing her country on the biggest stage she is being subjected to some pretty grim abuse on social media, primarily from middle aged men who look as though their biggest achievement is 'earning' a £200 fee for a Jeremy Kyle appearance. 'I wish my wife went down as easy as you you fat loser ****' was one of the tamer reactions I can recall

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I feel sorry for Christie. World champion in a sport Scotland has little heritage with and still in contention for an Olympic medal.

Yet representing her country on the biggest stage she is being subjected to some pretty grim abuse on social media, primarily from middle aged men who look as though their biggest achievement is 'earning' a £200 fee for a Jeremy Kyle appearance. 'I wish my wife went down as easy as you you fat loser ****' was one of the tamer reactions I can recall
    Im glad she's alright and there's no broken bones. She just seems to have a ridiculous tendency to **** it up at crucial moments in a way that I find quite funny. I'd never dream of abusing an athlete on social media, horrible thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Im glad she's alright and there's no broken bones. She just seems to have a ridiculous tendency to **** it up at crucial moments in a way that I find quite funny. I'd never dream of abusing an athlete on social media, horrible thing to do.
    Yep there's a big difference between a bit light hearted joking and pretty vile abuse.

I laugh everytime the curlers are referred to as athletes, so the news that one has been suspected of doping has raised levels of amusement.