hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not my idea of a good night out but it's a continuing trend of Edinburgh clubs of all kinds closing over the last decade or so:

The Venue
    Studio 24
    Electric Circus
    Bongo Club
    City
    Picture House
    Mood

Admittedly not all of those are mourned by me in themselves but it's a worrying trend and there's a few decent live music venues in that list with a couple more on their last legs. Add that to a lot of pubs closing or morphing into something that could be anywhere and it's the very definition of a city losing a part of itself. I don't particularly want to drink in another Wetherspoons or Nicholsons or pay a fortune for drinks on George Street. We'll only realise what we had when it's finally gone.
    When did the bongo club close? I was there last year

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    When did the bongo club close? I was there last year
    It closed then moved to the cowgate.

United we stand here....

Edinburgh is brutal these days..

Tacky Scotland shops, hunners of hipster bistros and over inflated prices.

Live in Leith and tend not to venture into town often its that bad!

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    For you guys on a rip down memory lane

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/dr...ubs-and-clubs/

My own distant memories are of the International on Princes Street (now Starbucks above Dixons)

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1...and_discos.htm
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    For you guys on a rip down memory lane

https://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/dr...ubs-and-clubs/

My own distant memories are of the International on Princes Street (now Starbucks above Dixons)

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1...and_discos.htm
    Ahhh the Venue.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WestStandWillie View Post
    Edinburgh is brutal these days..

Tacky Scotland shops, hunners of hipster bistros and over inflated prices.

Live in Leith and tend not to venture into town often its that bad!
    You're living in the wrong part of town if you are trying to escape hipster places.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Ahhh the Venue.
    I remember it as the jailhouse! Pressie hall, Nicky tams, cowgate afterhour pubs that were pretty edgy. Loved the live music scene. Bumped into Wilko Johnson a couple of months ago and he reeled off a number of venues across Scotland that he toured with Dr Feelgood and solo. I remember seeing legends like Alexis Korner and Jack Bruce as well as the punk bands all in pubs. Then one night i went to Pure at the venue and a whole new world opened for me. Happy these days with a pint and a paper.

Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I remember it as the jailhouse! Pressie hall, Nicky tams, cowgate afterhour pubs that were pretty edgy. Loved the live music scene. Bumped into Wilko Johnson a couple of months ago and he reeled off a number of venues across Scotland that he toured with Dr Feelgood and solo. I remember seeing legends like Alexis Korner and Jack Bruce as well as the punk bands all in pubs. Then one night i went to Pure at the venue and a whole new world opened for me. Happy these days with a pint and a paper.
    The Presy hall was excellent. Then, like you, I discovered Pure and Sativa and everything changed.

Jailhouse was great. Met my wife there!!

La Soirbonne was great as well. Not THAT was edgy!

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Despite my earlier post, I must admit I thought Edinburgh had improved when I was there in May/June last year - some pretty good pubs and the like now, mostly of the craft beer variety.

It helped that (a) I'm used to paying a fortune for beer, and (b) the exchange rate from NZD to GBP is very much in my favour at this point so even the expensive drinks actually seemed reasonable.

Sadly missed, along with Tribal Funktion. Those were the days.

I've quite enjoyed reading this Jack and Victor inspired thread.

In almost every regard Edinburgh has improved for the better over the 53 years of my life that I've lived here - with some periods elsewhere.

It is a fantastic city and we are uniquely lucky to be living here. It has no more lost its soul than anywhere else has - times have simply changed and so have fashions, cultural norms and ways of living.

Nostalgia and reference back to some supposed past Edinburgh Nirvana leaves me wondering when this was exactly? Far rather the cosmopolitan mix we have now - warts and all - than some mono culture.

And our housing issues would be rapidly eased by a planning system (and planning officials and politicians to go with it) that allowed sufficient housing to be built to meet demand in Edinburgh and all the adjacent authorities.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    I've quite enjoyed reading this Jack and Victor inspired thread.

In almost every regard Edinburgh has improved for the better over the 53 years of my life that I've lived here - with some periods elsewhere.

It is a fantastic city and we are uniquely lucky to be living here. It has no more lost its soul than anywhere else has - times have simply changed and so have fashions, cultural norms and ways of living.

Nostalgia and reference back to some supposed past Edinburgh Nirvana leaves me wondering when this was exactly? Far rather the cosmopolitan mix we have now - warts and all - than some mono culture.

And our housing issues would be rapidly eased by a planning system (and planning officials and politicians to go with it) that allowed sufficient housing to be built to meet demand in Edinburgh and all the adjacent authorities.
    Not forgetting the house builders who stockpile land. The problem isn't just the planners and politicians. Where there is a will, there is a way.

https://www.investmentweek.co.uk/inv...banking-review
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

They don't seem to have problems if they want to build student accomodation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43075099

An interesting story that relates to the way this thread went. Use the budget calculator tool and you'll see the issues facing some people in Edinburgh.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43075099

An interesting story that relates to the way this thread went. Use the budget calculator tool and you'll see the issues facing some people in Edinburgh.
    The map is wrong though. I put in my details and it says i cant afford to live in edinburgh, and yet i do!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    The map is wrong though. I put in my details and it says i cant afford to live in edinburgh, and yet i do!
    That doesnít mean the map is wrong. They probably use averages.

Anyway, Owen Jones is bang on again.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/16/labour-housing-crisis-tories-home-ownership

Edit: I could live until Iím 100 and Iíll never figure out how to post links properly :-(

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...home-ownership

Edit: I could live until Iím 100 and Iíll never figure out how to post links properly :-(
    Oh yeah itís all the bad old Tories fault and if we could only build millions of houses, rent them at half current market rates (as well as stealing any house that the owner has the temerity to leave empty), force rent controls across the private sector, ban any foreign investment and take on huge public liabilities through the public provision of mortgages then all would be dandy.

Bang on? Really?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/16/labour-housing-crisis-tories-home-ownership

I wonder what percentage of Guardian readers are actually home owners themselves? I'd guess quite a high percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Oh yeah itís all the bad old Tories fault and if we could only build millions of houses, rent them at half current market rates (as well as stealing any house that the owner has the temerity to leave empty), force rent controls across the private sector, ban any foreign investment and take on huge public liabilities through the public provision of mortgages then all would be dandy.

Bang on? Really?
    Yes. Desperate situations call for fairly desperate measures.

I had a funny feeling you wouldnít agree with his article.

Bang on? Really?
    Yes.

@hibs.net private member
    Yes. Desperate situations call for fairly desperate measures.

I had a funny feeling you wouldnít agree with his article.
    Glad I didnít disappoint

Donít get me wrong Iím well in the Ďletís do somethingí camp but forced appropriation of peopleís property simply because it is empty is a ridiculous proposal that threatens the fundamental of property (in the wider sense) rights in the UK, a right that has under pinned our economy for centuries.

Rent controls have also often proven to be counter productive and gawd knows why we want to transfer even more risk onto the public books by becoming mortgage lenders as well.

Then there is the small assumption that somehow the public sector can build houses of superior quality at substantially increased rate but at reduced cost and then rent them at half bat...then properly maintain them forever more.

The whole concept just sounds bonkers to me.

Finally removing property rights seems a common thread with Labour policies recently considering they have proposed letting parliament decide how much each of the industries that they wish to renationalise will be worth (letís not let the pesky market decide such things). Pity the millions of pensioners and their pension funds that will get robbed blind by that approach. An approach of course that will Ďcost nothingí.

As I said total bonkers.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Bang on? Really?
    Why not

United we stand here....

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    So Labour did what between 1997 and 2010 when they were in Government to address this?

Is there any evidence that these proposals will work? Who pays for all these new houses and subsidised rents? I am guessing it will be paid by massive tax hikes?

Does rent control work, is there any evidence? Do you rent control every single property or just some property, who decides who gets the ones that are rent controlled and who does not. For those who do get a property is there any incentive for them to move out and free it up for someone else, or do they have it for life? Is there an incentive for a landlord to keep the property maintained to a good standard or on less rent will he be happy to let it decline to a lesser standard than he would have on full market rate rent.

If we can resolve questions like this then great? I assume all this is well thought out by the Labour policy team so would love to see it.

Testimonial Due

Im sorry, but the fact that it is wrong, surely does make it wrong?

Glad I didnít disappoint

Donít get me wrong Iím well in the Ďletís do somethingí camp but forced appropriation of peopleís property simply because it is empty is a ridiculous proposal that threatens the fundamental of property (in the wider sense) rights in the UK, a right that has under pinned our economy for centuries.

Rent controls have also often proven to be counter productive and gawd knows why we want to transfer even more risk onto the public books by becoming mortgage lenders as well.

Then there is the small assumption that somehow the public sector can build houses of superior quality at substantially increased rate but at reduced cost and then rent them at half bat...then properly maintain them forever more.

The whole concept just sounds bonkers to me.

Finally removing property rights seems a common thread with Labour policies recently considering they have proposed letting parliament decide how much each of the industries that they wish to renationalise will be worth (letís not let the pesky market decide such things). Pity the millions of pensioners and their pension funds that will get robbed blind by that approach. An approach of course that will Ďcost nothingí.

As I said total bonkers.
    That'll be the same centuries old principle that has put over a third of the land in England in the hands of the descendants of aristocrats and has made Scotland one of the most inequitable places in the Western world when it comes to land ownership. Something I'm not particularly proud of.
    This liberal, unregulated attitude to residential property ownership has taken away what I would consider the rights of many people. It's got to the stage where an ever increasing amount of people have two choices now when fleeing the nest...they either pay rent to a landlord for a place they will never own or give up and wait for their parents to die and accept this almost feudal system.

If you're in the "let's do something camp" but consider compulsory purchase orders for empty foreign investments illiberal then I'd like to know what you suggest. Freeing up land and letting the private sector build more houses at their own discretion will do absolutely nothing without controls on who buys them. What's to simply stop more foreign property speculators (who contribute zilch to our society and do it to line their own pockets) buying them and keeping prices at an unaffordable level? Having decent options for people when it comes to buying or renting a house should be as much of a right as it presently is for people to hoard properties and get rich at other people's expense...even more of a right I'd say and it's a totally realistic target.

What it needs is (brace yourself ) a lot of state intervention. There's absolutely no reason why the state can't build hundreds of thousands of social houses and rent them out at well below "market" rate. Even that would cover the cost of building, maintenance and the compulsory purchase of land for a project that will go a long way to putting a roof over everyone's head. As for rent controls or controlling rents, the problems mainly seem to revolve around the private landlords and their affairs, which I'm afraid to say is down the list when it comes to sympathy as far as I'm concerned. The vast, vast majority of them can simply sell up if they're not happy with the money they are making.

The cry of "unaffordable" is often heard when it comes to housing and indeed nationalisation (which is scaremonger central at the moment, how much will the railways cost?) but I'd rather we took on a collective debt and did the right thing than stick with the neoliberal way things are.It's about the long game and we'll all benefit in the long run...less pressure, less transient communities, less private individual debt and hopefully less mental health issues. Without sounding like a party political broadcast, some avenues aren't about infringing on people's rights, they are about allocating and managing resources fairly for the benefit of everyone in society, not just the wealthy, the lucky or the ruthless.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    So Labour did what between 1997 and 2010 when they were in Government to address this?

Is there any evidence that these proposals will work? Who pays for all these new houses and subsidised rents? I am guessing it will be paid by massive tax hikes?

Does rent control work, is there any evidence? Do you rent control every single property or just some property, who decides who gets the ones that are rent controlled and who does not. For those who do get a property is there any incentive for them to move out and free it up for someone else, or do they have it for life? Is there an incentive for a landlord to keep the property maintained to a good standard or on less rent will he be happy to let it decline to a lesser standard than he would have on full market rate rent.

If we can resolve questions like this then great? I assume all this is well thought out by the Labour policy team so would love to see it.
    Not a lot.

However, I'm refusing to believe that people can't see the marked difference between Labour then and now.

Welcome to Edinburgh, City of Potholes and Building Sites.
    Soon every citizen will be issued a hard hat.

Testimonial Due
    Not a lot.

However, I'm refusing to believe that people can't see the marked difference between Labour then and now.
    The latter won three successive elections, and the former couldnt get close to the most inept govt in living memory at the last election?