hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer signings

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh ffs, everyone is looking for that. There are very few keepers in the world that do that and even if we signed them you'd get posts like this after a bad performance.

Its nothing to do with getting what you pay for, Rocky is an international keeper who has had many brilliant games for us. Give him a break.
    Sorry, but I disagree. It is everything to do with getting what you pay for. If Hibs were able to pay millions of pounds for players, the club would have better players. It's really that simple. I'll point to Manchester City buying the title in England at the moment.

I'm not really sure you can say there are "very few" keepers in the world that can do that either.

I'm also not sure that you can say he has had "many brilliant games for us". Which games were these? He was badly at fault on Wednesday night, so much so that Lennon actually stated that publicly. He was dropped earlier in the season IIRC when Laidlaw came in to deputise.

He's not the worst goalkeeper Hibs have had in recent years. He has made some good saves in some games (one particular save against Dundee stands out), but that's what he's there to do. I just think he is lacking in the area I mentioned in my previous post. IMHO.
    Last edited by emerald green; 17-12-2017 at 05:59 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    When are Hibs going to sign a big reliable goalkeeper who commands his box and is good under high balls into the area?

Trouble is, you only get what you pay for.
    Artur Boruc
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Although i believe if you put Slivka in centre mid you would see a very good player

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Maybe but Fraser Murray should get a few games and Porteous too they looked the real deal earlier

@hibs.net private member
    Although i believe if you put Slivka in centre mid you would see a very good player

Maybe but Fraser Murray should get a few games and Porteous too they looked the real deal earlier

Sorry, but I disagree. It is everything to do with getting what you pay for. If Hibs were able to pay millions of pounds for players, the club would have better players. It's really that simple. I'll point to Manchester City buying the title in England at the moment.

I'm not really sure you can say there are "very few" keepers in the world that can do that either.

I'm also not sure that you can say he has had "many brilliant games for us". Which games were these? He was badly at fault on Wednesday night, so much so that Lennon actually stated that publicly. He was dropped earlier in the season IIRC when Laidlaw came in to deputise.

He's not the worst goalkeeper Hibs have had in recent years. He has made some good saves in some games (one particular save against Dundee stands out), but that's what he's there to do. I just think he is lacking in the area I mentioned in my previous post. IMHO.
    Your get what you pay for line implies Hibs went for a cheap option. That is rubbish.

If can only see his faults its a waste of time arguing with you. He has had many brilliant games for us, this season and last. Trust me, I've been to just about every single game hes ever played for us.

I am absolutely sure I can say very few keepers in the world do that. Go on, list 10 keepers in the world who command their box faultlessly. The best one right now, De Gea, has had many dodgy moments with crosses.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Rocky has saved us far more points in the last 6 games than he’s cost us.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    As much as I would like some young players and their energy in the team, neither Shaw nor Murray in particular are ready IMO, Murray has looked very timid in his SPL appearances to date and I am not sure he is even ready to be bled into the team. Shaw selectively is.

Porteous is physically ready but got badly caught out on his last appearance against St Johnstone and I am not sure if Lennon is re-assessing his readiness to play first team football again as a result.

I would play him in preference to Whittaker though and maybe at the moment McGregor who has IMO struggled badly since his return from injury.

We simply need to get some defensive / midfield energy back into the team and I will be astonished if Porteous & Slivka don't play v Ross County
    Last edited by BSEJVT; 18-12-2017 at 04:33 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    As much as I would like some young players and their energy in the team, neither Shaw nor Murray in particular are ready IMO, Murray has looked very timid in his SPL appearances to date and I am sure he is evebn ready to be bled into the team. Shaw selectively is.

Porteous is physically ready but got badly caught out on his last appearance against St Johnstone and I am not sure if Lennon is re-assessing his readiness to play first team football again as a result.

I would play him in preference to Whittaker though and maybe at the moment McGregor who has IMO struggled badly since his return from injury.

We simply need to get some defensive / midfield energy back into the team and I will be astonished if Porteous & Slivka don't play v Ross County
    Murray has played 19 minutes in the Premiership this season. Very unfair to say he has looked timid. 14 minutes in a 1-1 draw with Dundee in August and 5 minutes in the first game of the season. All of our central defenders have been badly caught this week never mind this season and at least Porteous is a serious goal threat at set pieces. Shaws goal to minutes played ratio is very good too in top class games but I don't think he is ready to start, saying that he has been as effective as our other central strikers recently.
    Loyalty towards players can work both ways and I think there has been enough poor performances in the last 6 games to at least look at bringing the youngsters in a bit more.

Your get what you pay for line implies Hibs went for a cheap option. That is rubbish.

If can only see his faults its a waste of time arguing with you. He has had many brilliant games for us, this season and last. Trust me, I've been to just about every single game hes ever played for us.

I am absolutely sure I can say very few keepers in the world do that. Go on, list 10 keepers in the world who command their box faultlessly. The best one right now, De Gea, has had many dodgy moments with crosses.
    That's not what I'm implying at all. What makes you assume that? Hibs can only afford what they can afford, or are prepared to pay. That's your first mistake.

Next, why are you assuming I can only see his faults? That's your second mistake. Re-read my previous posts I'd suggest.

No goalkeeper in the world commands his box faultlessly. I never claimed that either. Your third mistake.
    Last edited by emerald green; 18-12-2017 at 11:42 AM.

That's not what I'm implying at all. What makes you assume that? Hibs can only afford what they can afford, or are prepared to pay. That's your first mistake.

Next, why are you assuming I can only see his faults? That's your second mistake. Re-read my previous posts I'd suggest.

No goalkeeper in the world commands his box faultlessly. I never claimed that either. Your third mistake.
    Why is what we pay relevant if that is not what you are implying?

You have only listed his faults and refused to acknowledge the many great games he has had for Hibs. He was great during our 4 game win streak, got us a point against Celtic last weekend, was the difference in quite a few close games last season and made a world class save at Tynie to stop us getting put out by Cathros Hearts side.

You asked for a big keeper who commands his box, very few exist and none of them do it flawlessly so why are you complaining that Hibs don't have one? We don't have a midfielder that commands the midfield consistently enough either or a forward that scores regularly enough.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Big Dave, Whitty, Swanson been a huge let dgown so far. Swanson though has had his reasons and can fully understand why his head wasn’t in the game. Now though if he gets the chance he must step up.

Slivka I’ve no idea if he’s good or not, needs more games under his belt! But overall can’t say any of the signings I thought would be good have stood out.
    Shocking at Firhill. No interest or confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Shocking at Firhill. No interest or confidence.
    Slivka? That is just not true at all.

Why is what we pay relevant if that is not what you are implying?

You have only listed his faults and refused to acknowledge the many great games he has had for Hibs. He was great during our 4 game win streak, got us a point against Celtic last weekend, was the difference in quite a few close games last season and made a world class save at Tynie to stop us getting put out by Cathros Hearts side.

You asked for a big keeper who commands his box, very few exist and none of them do it flawlessly so why are you complaining that Hibs don't have one? We don't have a midfielder that commands the midfield consistently enough either or a forward that scores regularly enough.
    Go back to my post #27 & re-read it. I can only assume you still haven't read it properly or have completely misinterpreted it. I'll try again.

I would like Hibs to sign a big reliable goalkeeper who commands his box & is good under high balls, i.e. better at that than Marciano.

My second sentence means Hibs might not be able to afford such a top quality goalkeeper. As far as I'm aware, Hibs have a budget and it's not unlimited.

Now see last sentence in my post #31. Where does it say I can only see Marciano's faults? Nonetheless, NL felt it necessary to point these faults out after the Rangers match, and also dropped him earlier. You make no comment about that.

No goalkeeper yet born is faultless, but I believe there may be others who are better than Marciano at this aspect of goalkeeping.

Yes, I would also like a midfielder and a forward like you describe too.

Anyway, time for me to bow out of this one I think.

Go back to my post #27 & re-read it. I can only assume you still haven't read it properly or have completely misinterpreted it. I'll try again.

I would like Hibs to sign a big reliable goalkeeper who commands his box & is good under high balls, i.e. better at that than Marciano.

My second sentence means Hibs might not be able to afford such a top quality goalkeeper. As far as I'm aware, Hibs have a budget and it's not unlimited.

Now see last sentence in my post #31. Where does it say I can only see Marciano's faults? Nonetheless, NL felt it necessary to point these faults out after the Rangers match, and also dropped him earlier. You make no comment about that.

No goalkeeper yet born is faultless, but I believe there may be others who are better than Marciano at this aspect of goalkeeping.

Yes, I would also like a midfielder and a forward like you describe too.

Anyway, time for me to bow out of this one I think.
    So if you aren't implying we have went cheap on a keeper you are essentially saying ''I'd love Hibs to sign Messi but we cant afford him''. Terrific.

You can only see his faults because you haven't acknowledged his strengths. He is a very good keeper on his day as he showed last weekend with a great performance vs Celtic.

I want a keeper who stops the ball going in the net, we'll do well to get better than Rocky.

So if you aren't implying we have went cheap on a keeper you are essentially saying ''I'd love Hibs to sign Messi but we cant afford him''. Terrific.

You can only see his faults because you haven't acknowledged his strengths. He is a very good keeper on his day as he showed last weekend with a great performance vs Celtic.

I want a keeper who stops the ball going in the net, we'll do well to get better than Rocky.
    Are you just being deliberately slow to understand because you don't want to admit that you might just be wrong? You're certainly being very selective in choosing which of my points you fancy responding to into the bargain, and twisting things to suit your own argument.

Anyway, life's too short for this.
    Last edited by emerald green; 19-12-2017 at 09:34 AM.

I’m happy with Rocky and I’m happy with Stevenson. I think we need a right back, a goalscoring midfielder and a striker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk