hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John McGinn

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe if you try facing the pitch, you would get a better view on how he's improved season on end.

Gone backward.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    The guy has bad games so does Ronaldo its normal. SJM has had way more good than bad and a fair few exceptional.

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee_4 View Post
    Were you guys watching the same game as me? John mcginn was outstanding. Smashing into tackles, agressive, and two or three left foot switches of play which were straight out of the top drawer.

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this up
    Sorry mate but he was nowhere near outstanding...he was poor. Slow loose passes and wasted so many corners and free kicks...can't for the life of me see where u get outstanding from?? Big fam of SJM but thought that was one of his poorest matches for us last nite. He deffo missed Bartley of that I'm certain

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Borderhibbie76; 14-12-2017 at 04:55 PM.

I agree with the OP. I love Mcginn and believe he can go on and have a very successful career, I just don't share the same opinion as the majority on him - which is cool and I won't call anyone clueless because my opinion differs!!

For me his best season in a hibs strip was his first when nobody really knew much about him. He was so dynamic and his little turn and drive at pace was an absolute joy to watch.

He's bulked up and has had plenty games this season he's bossed but he's also had his quiet games where he's gave the ball away numerous times and I'd have liked him to control things more. But he's not Stevenson, efe or whitty so won't be called out for it.

He was drawn into dog fight with Brown on Sunday and has been commended for it. Why? That's not his game. He should be imposing his style on games not stopping or going toe to toe with a deep lying playmaker. For me, Brown and the likes should have been chasing him around the park

Last night he missed Marv beside him. If Marv had played and allowed SJM to play further forward he would have ran riot because he is streets ahead of what they had on the park.

I'd like to see him chipping in with more goals and assists but love his attitude to the game. Hopefully he'll continue his development with us till the end of the season at least.

Wish the club offered him better terms at some point over the last 18 months as I believe it's truly deserved

Claiming to have a ST is my fav defence of absolute slavering pash on this forum

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    £2m to Celtic in January loaned back til the end of the season is my bet.

I was going to post a few criticisms of John McGinn both last night and in general but decided against it because I'd probably get a better response if I suggested we approach Vladimir Romanov to become chairman with Rudi Skacel as manager.

He's a fine player but he's not infallible. His decision making is questionable at times, he often turns into trouble when it's uneccessary and his passing can be hit and miss. I'm glad we have him and I'll be sad to see him go when he inevitably moves on but he's not above criticism and some of his play on the ball last night was poor.

There was a point in the 2nd half last night when Neil Lennon went absolutely ballistic at him twice in about 5 minites so he obviously had a few issues and frustrations as well.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrekko View Post
    Great player even when he’s not at his best. Those unconvinced will be swayed when he’s not here!!

‘Very very poor’.... dearie me.
    Spot on mate , I was thru at Partick and he wasn’t playing and we missed him big time. Some fans just talk mince

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    £2m to Celtic in January loaned back til the end of the season is my bet.
    Clueless

McGinn is class, always looking for the ball, draws numerous fouls and delivers some great passes. Does not always work but does not shy away from responsibility.

Didn't think he had his best game last night but if he was perfect every game he wouldn't be here.

So based on some of the threads over the last few days, McGinn is overrated, Marciano is s***e, Stokes is a lazy barsteward and Whittaker is useless but on the bright side we did play Sevco off the park last night.

Ferk it, ah cannae keep up wi these internet experts.......

How can people expect him to be good all the time when he's playing against better players than he has over the last two seasons?

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee92 View Post
    Clueless
    👍🏼

I've seen a lot of talk of John McGinn being poor last night - just didn't see it myself.

He was immense during the first half, really dominating, as was Stokes.

He fell out of the game a bit in the second half and made the odd mistake but we were still well on top and he was making a contribution.

No, it wasn't his best game but he must be setting really high standards if we're picking fault with that.

Barry Ferguson urges The Rangers to buy Mcginn Newsfeed article today
    Is he really so thick and deluded that he thinks The Rangers can afford him and that he would even consider want ing to go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boy is outstanding with a fantasic attitude/mentality which we badly needed .... settle down guys

He needs to learn when to pass and stop getting caught on the ball. Happening far too much recently. I still don't think he's fully fit.

Thought he had one of his worst games as a Hibs player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I was going to post a few criticisms of John McGinn both last night and in general but decided against it because I'd probably get a better response if I suggested we approach Vladimir Romanov to become chairman with Rudi Skacel as manager.

He's a fine player but he's not infallible. His decision making is questionable at times, he often turns into trouble when it's uneccessary and his passing can be hit and miss. I'm glad we have him and I'll be sad to see him go when he inevitably moves on but he's not above criticism and some of his play on the ball last night was poor.

There was a point in the 2nd half last night when Neil Lennon went absolutely ballistic at him twice in about 5 minites so he obviously had a few issues and frustrations as well.
    Exactly this. He's a fine player and I really like him but as you suggest, he's not perfect.

For the OP to say he's gone backwards though is bizarre
    This is how it feels

Compared to the high standards he’s set for himself, I don’t think SJM has put in a decent performance for a few weeks now. He always does a few excellent things during a game but he can do some poor and frustrating things too. Last night was one of his more ineffective nights imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    Thought he had one of his worst games as a Hibs player.
    Rather exaggerated and OTT.

He was played in a central 2 vs a diamond 4. Stupid decision to not play a central 3

Promising Youngster Blocks Biloxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Rather exaggerated and OTT.

He was played in a central 2 vs a diamond 4. Stupid decision to not play a central 3
    This. Lennon got carried away with 3 up top and realised too late. 3-5-2 with someone tracking Windass would have still been more than enough to win by a couple of goals last night.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    After a game 3 days before, where everyone talked about him v Brown, a hard game, last night imo SJM was his usual very good, high quality self, a player like that who takes on anything & everything in the middle of the park, tight balls from teammates, 50/50s, challenges, not everything is going to come off, but for a 22 year old, SJM is an outstanding prospect, any dreamers that think we are not gonna miss him when he goes are way way out there imo!

Quote Originally Posted by Blocks Biloxi View Post
    This. Lennon got carried away with 3 up top and realised too late. 3-5-2 with someone tracking Windass would have still been more than enough to win by a couple of goals last night.
    Totally agree. It was criminal to play 2 in there. Even Slivka should’ve played if Marv wasn’t 100%

Quote Originally Posted by sauzee_4 View Post
    Were you guys watching the same game as me? John mcginn was outstanding. Smashing into tackles, agressive, and two or three left foot switches of play which were straight out of the top drawer.

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this up
    I agree with this.

How anyone can say he was poor last night is beyond belief. We bossed 75% of the game - including the midfield - and McGinn was at the heart of that with Dylan.

Dear oh dear

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhibs View Post
    Last night was another very, very poor performance from SJM.

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Still one of favourite players but really needs to get his act together.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?
    pish

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    I agree with this.

How anyone can say he was poor last night is beyond belief. We bossed 75% of the game - including the midfield - and McGinn was at the heart of that with Dylan.

Dear oh dear
    I'm the same, I thought he played very well for the majority of the game. Some great passes and crunching tackles and always looking to get involved and drive us forward

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?
    What a load of rubbish. Who do you think we should have played instead of SJM?

Testimonial Due Capt Mainwaring's Avatar

Thoughts?
    Bollocks