hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John McGinn

John McGinn

Last night was another very, very poor performance from SJM.

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Still one of favourite players but really needs to get his act together.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Poor yes but very very poor naw. Not a great deal if help inThe midfield last night. There wasn’t a lot of easy out balls the style we were playing.t
    Last edited by greenlex; 14-12-2017 at 01:58 PM.

I thought he was excellent first half. Not sure why Hibs fans are so keen to get rid of our best players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought he was excellent first half. Not sure why Hibs fans are so keen to get rid of our best players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do people here actually take the time to read and understand posts on here, SJM is one of my favourite players, just think he is bogged down by trying to show how physically strong he is with the shielding tactics...and it is I being noticed by opponents who are now able to pick him off..

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    He wasn't at his best but he played some beautiful passes.

First Team Breakthrough
    Were you guys watching the same game as me? John mcginn was outstanding. Smashing into tackles, agressive, and two or three left foot switches of play which were straight out of the top drawer.

I've seen him play better (Hearts game at ER for instance) but he wasn't poor. One or two wasteful passes which put us in trouble. We are gonna end up with a big fee for him if he keeps this up

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    hmm, Is that Brendan Rodgers??? Look Brendan, no matter how much you talk SJM down, you AIN'T getting him cheap in January!!!!

SJM wasn't at his best last night, but he's had some very good games recently and to suggest he's gone backwards this season is simply wrong.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drkhibs View Post

Caught in possession repeatedly, failing to make simple passes to team mates, whilst trying to constantly (and for far too long) trying to shield the ball from opponents.

In my opinion he has gone backwards this year, perhaps he is playing against better players tis season but he needs to get back to simply winning balls, injecting a burst of pace and either getting a shot off or finding a team mate.

I'm surprised he is being given such an easy ride so far this season from the Hibs.netters.

Neil Lennon is always full of praise for SJM but I would guess even he will be tempted to cash in if a suitable offer comes our way in January.

Thoughts?
    Nonsense in terms of going backwards wasnt great last night and was crowded out a few times but personally think he has been very good this year. His performance in the last derby for example was very good and was good on Sunday also.

@hibs.net private member
    SJM is our best player by a mile. When he leaves we will be considerably poorer. Last night was not his best game but very few players are great every game

Testimonial Due
    Not his best game last night but very very poor? Gone backwards? Utter bollocks mate.

Don't feed the troll...........

First Team Regular Salt N Sauzee's Avatar

Thoughts?

Clueless.

Laughable to say he’s gone backwards this season. I take it you haven’t watched many hibs games this season then? Or you are just trolling either way SJM is has been very good and Lennon wants to keep him as long as possible.

Testimonial Due
    McGinn and McGeough were both hussled in midfield last night because of our tactical set up. McGinn didn't have his best game and lost the ball a lot but he wasn't bad by any means and actually improved as the game went on.

He's got physically stronger, technically better (some of his passes are absolutely brilliant), and now looks more of a goal threat than ever and loves a good tackle. To say he has gone backwards is just a complete lie. I didn't think he was brilliant last night, he played some great passes and got out of some very tight areas a lot of the time. He wasn't very very poor. Ludicrous.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Given both McGinn and McGeoch were playing against a midfield with a man extra until Shaw went off they were both excellent.

Cummings suffered from Hibs fans who never took to him. I feel McGinn is the same. He’ll be sorely missed when he goes.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

@hibs.net private member
    Backwards this season ? ...he is stronger, quicker and more Consistent...May I suggest less glue sniffing before games ?

Perhaps our expectation from him is so high that any and every error is magnified. Actually thought he had a decent game last night.

I would agree that he wasn't at his best last night but have no arguments with anyone who disagrees, its all about opinions after all. One thing I will say though is that I wish he would take more shots on at goal. He's proven in the past he can do it and should do it more often. I don't think he does it enough.

Good 1st half and a poor 2nd, having 2 in the middle didn't help as it means they are outnumbered and have to do more grafting work, definitely plays better in a midfield 3 as was shown on sunday against Celtic.

Suffered because Bartley wasn’ t there to do a lot of the dirty work and give him the ball in a bit of space.Also not helped by the defence constantly giving him the ball when he already had a couple of players on him.Once Ambrose and Hanlon listened to Lennon’s shouts to press forward with the ball themselves it created more space for McGinn.

Great player even when he’s not at his best. Those unconvinced will be swayed when he’s not here!!

‘Very very poor’.... dearie me.

Left by mutual consent!
    He had too much to do. The way we shaped last night didn't give McGinn the chance to peform.

When's the Bartman back

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Suffered because Bartley wasn’ t there to do a lot of the dirty work and give him the ball in a bit of space.Also not helped by the defence constantly giving him the ball when he already had a couple of players on him.Once Ambrose and Hanlon listened to Lennon’s shouts to press forward with the ball themselves it created more space for McGinn.

Left by mutual consent!

Thoughts?
    My thoughts are that you are talking drivel. McGinn is developing into a very fine player. Looking forward to seeing him excel again at Tynecastle in a couple of weeks as we make in nine in a row against the yams. You'll be looking forward to that too I'm sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Salt N Sauzee View Post
    Clueless.
    Correcto

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Laughable to say he’s gone backwards this season. I take it you haven’t watched many hibs games this season then? Or you are just trolling either way SJM is has been very good and Lennon wants to keep him as long as possible.
    I'm a season ticket holder in the East mate, attend every home game and have supported Hibs since my first game in 1971, so not a troll just expressing an opinion and interested to hear what others think.

Reason I don't post much is the usual OTT responses a perceived negative post generates on this forum.

So in summary neither a troll, yam or Brendan Rodgers in disguise...just a loyal Hibs supporting expressing an opinion, who hopes SJM is here performing well for many years to come.

SJM's performance last night was fairly typical of what happens to him once every few games where his short passing is off, he has a tendency when that happens to under hit passes of a distance between 10 and 20 yards and they get intercepted and I would agree he sometimes holds the ball a bit too long which can lead to him getting closed down and dispossessed.

But that's the guys game along with hitting some at times sublime long passes, in fact he is probably the best long passer of the ball in the whole league on his day. Most of the time he is a very affective player and this season more often than not his performance has been excellent. To say he has gone backwards is nonsense.

I'm a season ticket holder in the East mate, attend every home game and have supported Hibs since my first game in 1971, so not a troll just expressing an opinion and interested to hear what others think.

Reason I don't post much is the usual OTT responses a perceived negative post generates on this forum.

So in summary neither a troll, yam or Brendan Rodgers in disguise...just a loyal Hibs supporting expressing an opinion, who hopes SJM is here performing well for many years to come.
    I wasn’t calling you a yam, nothing at all wrong putting across your opinion either. But come on you surely have to be ready for a bit backlash to this. SJM has been very good so I honestly can’t understand how you think he’s went back the way. He’s now in the Scotland squad getting teams watching him so I think you are way off with this.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

Maybe if you try facing the pitch, you would get a better view on how he's improved season on end.

Gone backward.