hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also did the goalkeeping coaching badge. Also listened to David Preece, who knows his stuff on the subject, on the total football podcast talking about how this thing about 'A Goalie Should Never Be Beaten at his Near Post' mantra is really just nonsense, probably made up by a pundit or commentator at some point in history and has no grounding in proper coaching. A keeper has to be equally aware of either post and if he thinks the ball is going to be driven across him to the far post he needs to move there.

Saying all that, Rocky was at fault, no question.
    on both points.

I've worked with numerous goalkeeping coaches over the years, a couple of them pretty well respected in the game, and none have ever throwing their weight behind the near post mantra pundits tend to parrot.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    Not really comparing them overall just two incidents last night.

Boyle’s chance one on one Foderingham got his angles all right and stayed big and on his feet making it really difficult to score.

Marciano at their second goal got it all wrong, not staying big, diving far too early and leaving a massive space for them to score from a tight angle.

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.
    Indeed but in this instance (just one of many by another terrible ref or cheat depending on your point of view) it was the referee's 'mistake' in the 1st place that cost us that 2nd goal. Clear foul on Shaw I think it was before it happened.
    Last edited by John_R_Corbett; 14-12-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by tamsonsbairn View Post
    both goals could have been avoided.
    Definitely.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Your opinion. There was calls for Laidlaw to get a run a couple of months ago. The Huns keeper is a good goalie.
    Of course it's my opinion, that's the point of forums like this one.

Similarly saying "no he isn't" as you did earlier is no different.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

They are both good keepers and like every other keeper in the world they will have bad nights and make mistakes.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Of course it's my opinion, that's the point of forums like this one.

Similarly saying "no he isn't" as you did earlier is no different.
    👍

Purely on the game last night, Foderingham was definitely better, particularly the save from Barker that he touched on to the post. Marciano is a bit erratic, one day makes brilliant saves, another day seems to make bad decisions that sometimes cost us. Still a decent keeper though, better than some of the ones we've had in recent years.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Marciano will win us more points than he will lose us

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    Rocky didn’t have a good game last night and cost us points, last Sunday he was immense.
    Q. Would I swap him for Foderingham given the opportunity? A. Not a chance!

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.
    My worry is that he was in a position to block/save the shot and appeared to dive away from the ball. Doesnt even look like he guessed, his dive seemed to start as the ball was heading towards him. Not a great thing for goalkeepers to do. Most of the best goalkeepers generally dive and throw their limbs in the way. His dive also suggested he knew immediately what he was doing - diving to avoid getting hurt.

For the first goal he remained routed to his line and could honestly have just pointed to the bottom corner to invite Rangers man shooting there. The size of the gap he left in that corner was insane considering the defence had failed him and it was virtually a 1v1.

I like Marciano but the 2 goals he let in would be enough for me to drop him for a match of two. Laidlaw made lesser, but comparable, mistakes and got hooked.

Fair is fair. All players should be dropped if they have a really bad game or bad run of games. Goalies get a bit more leniency but nevertheless should not be discounted from this.

Testimonial Due
    Given Craig Gordon's drop in form and the fact Joe Lewis is even more prone to the odd mistake, there's a good argument that Marciano is the best goalie in the league. One bad game doesn't change that.

Foderingham is a decent shot stopper but his command of his area is dreadful - Hanlon's goal at Easter Road in 15/16 being a good case in point.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Can’t be bothered reading all the posts. However a keeper can make as many saves as he wants, that’s what he’s there for. The amount of howlers is what he’ll be judged on and IMO he’s made too many. Just my opinion obviously.

Marciano should have done better at the second goal but for me Paul Hanlon was really poor in the lead up to the goal.

If he had defended properly, Morelos would have been nowhere near scoring.

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Marciano should have done better at the second goal but for me Paul Hanlon was really poor in the lead up to the goal.

If he had defended properly, Morelos would have been nowhere near scoring.
    Really? Made sure he never got inside and had to go to a near impossible angle to score?

Quote Originally Posted by I'm_cabbaged View Post
    Really? Made sure he never got inside and had to go to a near impossible angle to score?
    Rocky was terrible but Hanlon did nothing he was dizzy he was turned inside out and had no idea the player was choosing to go inside or out.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Purely on the game last night, Foderingham was definitely better, particularly the save from Barker that he touched on to the post. Marciano is a bit erratic, one day makes brilliant saves, another day seems to make bad decisions that sometimes cost us. Still a decent keeper though, better than some of the ones we've had in recent years.
    LOL better than some keepers we have had that is no ringing endorsement

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Marciano is becoming a bit of an enigma as of late. Great shot stopper at times but he seems to be second guessing himself a lot lately.

He struggles to command his box at times and takes an age to come out and collect the ball even when he has a fair amount of time to get to it before the opposition.

On the flip side he's made a number of great saves ranging from one on one's and last ditch fingertip and reactionary saves.

He's had a few bad games this season but I still rate him. Confidence issues perhaps? Needs to be more alert and stop second guessing himself. He'll put it behind him again but needs to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Rocky was terrible but Hanlon did nothing he was dizzy he was turned inside out and had no idea the player was choosing to go inside or out.
    Hanlon should have had support no defender should be left one on one where possible. He held up the player and no one was close to assist in closing him down Stevenson was standing watching.

It's a fair point that Hanlon did manage to show him the outside and not cut in, making it an easier job for Marciano to block the tightly angled shot at his near post, in theory...

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I'm a massive Hanlon fan, but he did terribly there. Aye, he shows him outside, but after going outside he lets him cut in towards goal tae, he'll be dissapointed in himself I bet.

No he's not.
    He’s miles better and I mean miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.
    Never anticipate a ball will go across the box, you must stand tall and protect the near post at all times. No matter if the striker is 5 yards or 20. Yeah it’s smashed into the near post but if he stays there his legs save it. First goal his angles are all wrong PB. He must narrow the angle I. Which Windass hits it into.

Rocky for me was poor for both goals second one was worse though. He’s a good keeper though and will bounce back.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    I also did the goalkeeping coaching badge. Also listened to David Preece, who knows his stuff on the subject, on the total football podcast talking about how this thing about 'A Goalie Should Never Be Beaten at his Near Post' mantra is really just nonsense, probably made up by a pundit or commentator at some point in history and has no grounding in proper coaching. A keeper has to be equally aware of either post and if he thinks the ball is going to be driven across him to the far post he needs to move there.

Saying all that, Rocky was at fault, no question.
    A keeper should still very rarely get beaten at their near post and certainly not from a shot like that. IMO, a keeper should never guess from there, they should stand up and remain set so they're best equipped to deal with whatever happens next.

I agree with the folks saying he appears low on confidence. A more confident keeper probably wouldn't have conceded in that manner. It's frustrating as he's obviously really talented.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    He’s miles better and I mean miles.
    Fair do's if you think that. He's miles better than the likes of Oxley but the Huns keeper is better in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    A keeper should still very rarely get beaten at their near post and certainly not from a shot like that. IMO, a keeper should never guess from there, they should stand up and remain set so they're best equipped to deal with whatever happens next.

I agree with the folks saying he appears low on confidence. A more confident keeper probably wouldn't have conceded in that manner. It's frustrating as he's obviously really talented.
    I agree he should have saved that shot. What I don't agree with is the emphasis put on the near post as opposed to the far post.

If you think about the dynamics, a goal is 8foot high by 24 feet wide. A goalies body coverage is about 5 foot wide (unless you're on the chubby side) including the active limbs. When a striker is running at you from a narrow angle, If you tried to completely cover the near post and mentally anticipate the shot going there, you'd leave room at the far post. And you will never ever be able to guarantee to stop the perfect strike at the near post, it's not physically possible. In that situation you simply have to be good at winning a guessing game (and have good reactions of course!) I see Rockys mistake as not about where he was standing, it's his reaction to the ball after it left the strikers foot that was *****.

I agree he should have saved that shot. What I don't agree with is the emphasis put on the near post as opposed to the far post.

If you think about the dynamics, a goal is 8foot high by 24 feet wide. A goalies body coverage is about 5 foot wide (unless you're on the chubby side) including the active limbs. When a striker is running at you from a narrow angle, If you tried to completely cover the near post and mentally anticipate the shot going there, you'd leave room at the far post. And you will never ever be able to guarantee to stop the perfect strike at the near post, it's not physically possible. In that situation you simply have to be good at winning a guessing game (and have good reactions of course!) I see Rockys mistake as not about where he was standing, it's his reaction to the ball after it left the strikers foot that was *****.
    I thought it looked like he had made his mind up before the shot was struck? Lennon seems to agree that he gambled / guess where it was going instead of standing up and reacting...

To be honest I am not impresed with Marciano at all. Saw him against sellik and the The huns, doesnt give a proper shout to defenders, dithers, not quick enough to get the ball out wide when theres an opportunity, but, on saying that, I have only seen him in a handful of games this season,still, not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    I thought it looked like he had made his mind up before the shot was struck? Lennon seems to agree that he gambled / guess where it was going instead of standing up and reacting...
    Ach, I'd be lying if I said I'd watched it on freeze frame so you might be right It's just something that gets my goat in general.

Fair do's if you think that. He's miles better than the likes of Oxley but the Huns keeper is better in my eyes.
    Huns keeper isn’t a bad keeper, but from what I’m told he makes far to many mistakes and his distribution is awful. Games I’ve seen him he’s been suspect for many goals they concede. All about opinions though 👍🏼 I still think I’m better than both 😁

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Huns keeper isn’t a bad keeper, but from what I’m told he makes far to many mistakes and his distribution is awful. Games I’ve seen him he’s been suspect for many goals they concede. All about opinions though 👍🏼 I still think I’m better than both 😁
    😀