hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Marciano v Foderingham

Not really comparing them overall just two incidents last night.

Boyle’s chance one on one Foderingham got his angles all right and stayed big and on his feet making it really difficult to score.

Marciano at their second goal got it all wrong, not staying big, diving far too early and leaving a massive space for them to score from a tight angle.

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Marciano made a split second decision and got it wrong that's all. These things happen unfortunately

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Boyle’s chance one on one Foderingham got his angles all right and stayed big and on his feet making it really difficult to score.

Marciano at their second goal got it all wrong, not staying big, diving far too early and leaving a massive space for them to score from a tight angle.

Frustrating that these little basic mistakes from talented players are costing us points through the season.
    When you look at our two goals lost, the number of basic mistakes were frightening. Efe for the first attacking the ball not getting it leaving a huge gap to run in to. Marciano angles all over the place. Second Hanlon horrific in one on one and Marciano awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

Rocky really needs to work on his positioning, he half came for a ball into the box earlier and got left in no man's land, worst thing for a keeper to do IMHO, either come gather / clear it or stay on your line, thankfully at that point the Rangers lad put it wide...but for me there are some worrying signs he is unsure of what to do at times and second guessing himself.

Marciano also saved us from being slaughtered on Sunday.

Foderingham meanwhile contributed to more than a couple of our goals in the 15/16 season - especially April/May 2016

It happens unfortunately, particularly at this level

Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Marciano should do better at the 2nd but I think people often underestimate just how difficult it is to stay big in that situation. The ball was absolutely smashed at him from about 5/6 yards.

I remember doing my 1st goalkeeping coaching badge and we watched a video of various situations. One of the examples was the famous Ryan Giggs FA Cup goal that is generally accepted as one of the great goals. The question asked was 'what happens if Seaman had stood up rather then flopping backwards?' The theory and answer is easy, the execution is far more challenging.
    He dived away from his front post, he tried to anticipate the cross instead of reacting to the shot. He was at fault and should not lose a goal at his near post like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    He dived away from his front post, he tried to anticipate the cross instead of reacting to the shot. He was at fault and should not lose a goal at his near post like that.
    I did acknowledge he should do better.

I can see how it happens though as holding your feet when it's a 50/50 chance where the ball will go isn't an easy skill. The natural reaction is to anticipate one way or another.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    Marciano didn't do well last night, but he's still a very good keeper. And a far better one than Foderingham anyway.

Marciano's inconsistency is frustrating.

He is as capable of pulling off a truly world class save as he is of chucking in a total clanger. He's won points for us this season and he's cost us points, the difference between his good games and bad games are probably more extreme than any other keeper we've had.

To compare him with Oxley - Oxley didn't ever really make mistakes but he didn't tend to make many great saves either. I can never remember him winning us points with great saves but he never made any howlers either and tended to stand up well in big games.

I like Marciano, but last night served to reinforce some of the doubts that I have about him. 2 fairly routine bits of goalkeeping - getting his positioning and anticipation right - have cost us 3 points, a very important 3 points.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Marciano didn't do well last night, but he's still a very good keeper. And a far better one than Foderingham anyway.
    No he's not.

I did acknowledge he should do better.

I can see how it happens though as holding your feet when it's a 50/50 chance where the ball will go isn't an easy skill. The natural reaction is to anticipate one way or another.
    From what I have seen I think he is second guessing his instincts, which maybe a sign of confidence issues? Simply though no goalkeeper should have left that gap at the front post.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    I'm sure Neil said that Laidlaw has a shoulder issue, so it's rocky on the young lad that was on the bench last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    From what I have seen I think he is second guessing his instincts, which maybe a sign of confidence issues? Simply though no goalkeeper should have left that gap at the front post.
    I said after Sundays game I thought some of his decision making suggested a keeper struggling with his confidence amd I stand by it.

He's certainly let Hanlon off the hook who defended the initial threat in a way that would have embarrassed a schoolboy.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    No he's not.
    Yes he is.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Daniel1875
    I thought Rocky was excellent against Celtic, as he has been for the most part this season. Last night though, that was criminal for the 2nd and I thought his positioning was poor for the first as well, it was right in the corner but if he’d narrowed the angle he’d have stood a better chance.

Foderingham is pish but he done well last night.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    I think it a bit harsh blaming Rocky for their second goal . IThier player fairly smashed it in at an acute angle .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Yes he is.
    Your opinion. There was calls for Laidlaw to get a run a couple of months ago. The Huns keeper is a good goalie.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    I think it a bit harsh blaming Rocky for their second goal . IThier player fairly smashed it in at an acute angle .
    He dived out the way ffs. The firsts a howler too. Positioning all wrong.

@hibs.net private member tamsonsbairn's Avatar

marciano

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Yes he is.
    both goals could have been avoided.

@hibs.net private member
    I like both them as keepers..Rocky is capable of levels which Foderingham has never reached - at the top of his game , he looks outstanding.. This season consistency is his issue - also looks quite a bit heavier than last year to me??

Foderingham is very consistent. Last night is probably as good as Ive seen him. Before then he struck me as a keeper who rarely drops a clanger and does all the basic things well - without really reaching the heights in performance levels. He was their MoM by some way yesterday...fair play to him.

Rubbish he dived away from his post and left it unguarded trying to anticipate the cross, clearly he is at fault as is Hanlon for letting the boy get past him.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Marciano's inconsistency is frustrating.

He is as capable of pulling off a truly world class save as he is of chucking in a total clanger. He's won points for us this season and he's cost us points, the difference between his good games and bad games are probably more extreme than any other keeper we've had.

To compare him with Oxley - Oxley didn't ever really make mistakes but he didn't tend to make many great saves either. I can never remember him winning us points with great saves but he never made any howlers either and tended to stand up well in big games.

I like Marciano, but last night served to reinforce some of the doubts that I have about him. 2 fairly routine bits of goalkeeping - getting his positioning and anticipation right - have cost us 3 points, a very important 3 points.
    Agree completely

There is no middle ground

He is either great or crap

Sunday he was great, yesterday ......

As for the notion he is better than Foderingham, not for me by a long shot

Left by mutual consent!
    I think the first goal is an excellent finish

The second is poor keeping but it should never get that far. The defending from Hanlon was shambolic.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    No he's not.
    Oh he is.

One bad game last night but he's been an exceptional keeper for us and better than anything we've had since the days of Goram.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post

The second is poor keeping but it should never get that far. The defending from Hanlon was shambolic.
    He had time to prepare for the shot and his starting position was brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post

Hanlon should do better. But you;d expect striker to get past a defender in a 1:1 in the majority of situations. Boyle does it constantly in games.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Oh he is.

One bad game last night but he's been an exceptional keeper for us and better than anything we've had since the days of Goram.
    Fair enough, we've had pish goalies for years so in comparison he's brilliant but he is still very average and prone to a mistake or two.

I like him but can't agree there. No keeper should ever get beaten at the near post like that.

I'm still fuming from last night... how did those ******* manage to slink away with 3 pts...

I also did the goalkeeping coaching badge. Also listened to David Preece, who knows his stuff on the subject, on the total football podcast talking about how this thing about 'A Goalie Should Never Be Beaten at his Near Post' mantra is really just nonsense, probably made up by a pundit or commentator at some point in history and has no grounding in proper coaching. A keeper has to be equally aware of either post and if he thinks the ball is going to be driven across him to the far post he needs to move there.

Saying all that, Rocky was at fault, no question.