hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Barker

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    Easily his best game for us and it was a shame that he didn’t come away with a goal. I hope the crowd start to get behind him and build up his confidence.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's exciting when on the ball, he makes defenders defend and think they must defend rather than get forward.

We should be encouraging him and Boyle, its a breath of fresh air having pace on either side for a change. Wingers wont always beat their man, they wont always get a great cross in, but they will at least try, and they are getting us off our feet.

We are building a team here, a team that is constantly improving.

Enjoy this while it lasts, there have been plenty of players we've had in the last 10 years who were absolutely shocking to watch, we have plenty who are good to watch now.

And remember we will be adding to this squad in January and again in the summer.
    Great post. Agree with every word.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I rarely post on here these days for numerous reasons, but one of those was the things that people have been saying about Barker all season. He has been an excellent signing, he gets me off my seat every time he's on the ball, and is a joy to watch as he flies past defenders time after time. He doesn't just win foot races though, he has the trickery to get past defenders from from a standing start also. He was absolutely awesome last night.

The complaints about him having no end product are way off the mark - of course he doesn't find a killer ball every time, there's not a winger in the world who does. Constantly going past a man and getting to the bye line is tiring and physical stuff, and finding a final ball isn't always easy. Someone said the other day something along the lines of "if he beats his man every time, but never does anything - what's the point?" - ignoring the fact that the middle part of that sentence isn't true, even if it was, it would still serve a real purpose.

Having players like Barker and Boyle out wide for us are vital for stretching teams and wearing them down over the course of a game. With their pace and trickery - constantly stopping and starting defenders, and more often than not occupying more than one player to deal with them - it keeps teams on the back foot and creates spaces for others. They are also vital for keeping opposition full backs quiet in an attacking sense. Their meaningful contributions are not purely measured in goals and assists.

He is a young lad, only playing his first season of high intensity football at a high level, and he is just going to get better and better - if Lennon can improve Barker as much as he's improved Boyle, he'll end up in the English Championship for several million pounds at the end of this season. After the years of sterile football that we had to watch at ER in the first half of this decade, I find it truly depressing the number of posters on here who are not excited by him, and can't see both the quality he has now, and the massive potential he has going forward. Some folk truly don't know a footballer when they see one.

His attitude and appetite is first class, always willing to take on his man and is not scared of the physical side of the game. He has been a brilliant signing.
    Totally agree Stevie

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Hopefully the coaches will keep working on his crossing. He could be a phenomenal player for us.

It would be great to see Barker getting his first Hibs goal today - maybe worth a bet Barker to score and a hibs win.

First Team Regular dalkeith stu's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: hibeestu07
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    It would be great to see Barker getting his first Hibs goal today - maybe worth a bet Barker to score and a hibs win.
    Is he playing today???

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dalkeith stu View Post
    Is he playing today???
    Nope, it's Anonymous wearing his shirt today in the first half.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 16-12-2017 at 12:45 PM.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    I’m happy that he’s at least been putting in a bit more effort today. There’s been a few times where he’s tracked back and won the ball.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    He's been our best player today.

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post

One of the very few who recieves pass marks from me today.

Great pace and creates so much, just wish we had someone to finish it off!

@hibs.net private member
    He looks good in flashes but I just don't think he gives us enough.

I'm not expecting every ball in to be perfect or him to score with every shot but if you look at the last 3 games, it's the opposition wingers that have done us (Sinclair, Windass and Mackay-Steven).

Barker looks promising but I want to see him own a game and really take control.

Sadly I think he's not quite ready to do that yet. If he does it'll by the time he's long gone from Hibs.

Feed him the ball. He's much better with the ball than without it, same with Boyle. I really think we need to push it wide as much as we can.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Nice wee assist for Barker today. Looked a threat, second half especially. Touch was a bit off at times but thought he was good.

I thought Barker really struggled today, nothing seemed to come off for him. There was one point in the 2nd half that Stokes played a ball in behind for him and he was on his heels and just stood and watched it. Stokes went mental and I honestly worried for a second he was going to go across and hit him.

I thought Lennon might have considered hooking him then he popped up with a good run, good touch and match winning cross. I think he’s just that type of player, sometimes it works for him and quite often it doesn’t.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I thought Barker really struggled today, nothing seemed to come off for him. There was one point in the 2nd half that Stokes played a ball in behind for him and he was on his heels and just stood and watched it. Stokes went mental and I honestly worried for a second he was going to go across and hit him.

I thought Lennon might have considered hooking him then he popped up with a good run, good touch and match winning cross. I think he’s just that type of player, sometimes it works for him and quite often it doesn’t.
    Agree thought his touch was poor and that he might have been subbed however what a brilliant run and cross for the winner.

For me he's often on his heels, but more than That, switches off after losing a ball when attacking.

Plenty to learn but he'll be a good player

There is a player in there. We need to see it more though. Completely disappears from the game at times.

His movement and level of readiness without the ball are terrible. Statuesque at times. When he does get the ball it's often a different matter but without doubt a very frustrating player.

Good assist today.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    He started off well enough but faded more as the game went on although for me he really should be terrorising defences like Ross County's. Some of his touches and runs were frustrating to watch at times.

I suppose he was unlucky with his effort on goal but pretty sure he could have squared it for an easy tap in.

I thought he was great in Lord of the Rings

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I thought he was great in Lord of the Rings
    Definitely runs rings round Hanlon in training.

Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Definitely runs rings round Hanlon in training.
    😂😂

He had a couple of brilliant runs but his final touch and his poor decision making spoils it, similar from Boyle on the other side, burns the defender with pace then chooses the wrong option at times,very frustrating.

Played well today I felt. Glad we have him.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    I like him. Makes some cracking runs and teams are now needing to put 2 players on him or Boyle freeing up space in the middle.

Surprised that a lot of folk are undecided about him.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Great post. Agree with every word.
    I agree too

I thought he played well today. He’s starting to back himself more when taking players on and is no longer hiding so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    Giving him dogs abuse today, Thought he was a wasted jersey and wantedhim off the park..... and then he did that!!

I suppose that’s what we will get with the boy, obviously the quality is there if the commitment was there he wouldn’t be anywhere near Hibs