hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Jonnyboy, that’s the issue with watching the action live from the ground at the match, you see it once, rather on TV with all the replays

Keep up the great work, see you on Saturday at Aberdeen with Santa
    Tried to persuade him to wear his red outfit but he's worried Hibs fans will think he's an interloper
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Tried to persuade him to wear his red outfit but he's worried Hibs fans will think he's an interloper
    That would be brilliant if you can get him to wear it🤣

Green Santas Look Better.. zielony_stroj_mikolaja_1.jpg

I usually and enjoy reading your threads and usually agree but you could not be more wrong in blaming ambrose, he was pushed and it should have been a free kick.
    Apart from Rocky's mistake I wish he would command his box more, he never seems to come out early for through balls like we see other keepers doing as a matter of course, always leaving it to his defenders. I used to be a big fan but other than a great shot stopper his all-round game is lacking IMO
    Last edited by andybev1; 14-12-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    I usually and enjoy reading your threads and usually agree but you could not be more wrong in blaming ambrose, he was pushed and it should have been a free kick.
    Apart from Rocky's mistake I wish he would command his box more, he never seems to come out early for through balls like we see other keepers doing as a matter of course, always leaving it to his defenders. I used to be a big fan but other than a great shot stopper his all-round game is lacking IMO
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree re Efe. I felt he tried to get in front of his man and when he didn't he left a huge gap behind him
    This is how it feels

I really doubt that PH is international class in any country that produces half decent players. But he’s more than adequate for the SPL most games.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    I really doubt that PH is international class in any country that produces half decent players. But he’s more than adequate for the SPL most games.
    Did well apart from the goal and even got forward a couple times. For me the 2nd goal was on the goalie, Hanlon maybe could have done better but he was left one on one

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    On the way home in the car tonight I kept asking myself the same question, over and over and kept coming up with the same answer. The question was how on earth we managed to lose that game and my answer varied, before and after hearing Neil Lennon’s post-match interview. Prior to listening to the manager my answer involved three aspects of our performance. Firstly, two of our most consistent performers let themselves down badly by rank poor defending with the Rangers goals coming after howlers by Ambrose and Hanlon. Secondly, we created an abundance of opportunities to score, both prior to and after those defensive errors and failed to take any of them. Thirdly, we were let down by two of our better creative players in John McGinn and Anthony Stokes although they were not the only players tonight to point a finger of blame at.

After listening to Neil’s interview, I felt that the disappointment of losing the game coloured my judgement a little because as the manager said, we battered the Rangers for almost the entire second half and did not deserve to lose the game. Notwithstanding that, I still feel we were let down in key moments by players either making mistakes or failing to capitalise on the outstanding play of our wingers.

At 7.45, Hibs came roaring out of the traps and soon had the Rangers pegged back. After just ten minutes, a mazy run on the left side of the box by Murray saw our striker cut the ball back to the edge of the area where Lewis Stevenson struck a right foot shot that was on target but was deflected into the net by Alves. It was no more than our start to the game deserved but we had to remain vigilant as a rare break by the Rangers witnessed Morelos head wide when scoring looked easier. Soon we were back in the Rangers penalty area with both Hanlon and Boyle taking on shots that were saved by Foderingham when a cut back on both occasions would almost certainly have led to goals.

The game continued to be pretty much dominated by Hibs until the last five minutes of the half when first Ambrose and then Hanlon lost possession in dangerous areas, allowing both Windass and Morelos to score. Those errors were criminal and although my mate suggested Rocky could have done better on both occasions I’m not sure I entirely agreed. The first was a drilled ball from an angle whilst the second, I felt, caught Rocky out at his near post.

After just five minutes of the second half, Neil Lennon replaced Oli Shaw with Brandon Barker and Hibs immediately took control of the game again. Barker has split opinion in his time to date and I confess I’m one that wanted to see a lot more from him. Pretty much from the moment he arrived he drew the Rangers defence into a panic. His pace and control were a joy to behold and he was surely the unluckiest player on the park to see two fantastic efforts come back off either post. On the other wing, Boyler was giving Declan John a hard time with the defender having to rely on Windass to double up on the Hibs man. Crosses flew across the Rangers box on a regular basis but Murray and Stokes failed to connect, one of those failures being difficult to understand as Murray was only five yards from goal whereas Stokes just never arrived to meet them.

Referee Kevin Clancy, who’d not had the best of nights, then infuriated both the home bench and the massive home support when a glaring hand ball in the box by Bates resulted in claims being waved aside. It was a penalty all day long and I understand the linesman later told Neil that he’d seen the hand ball but didn’t think it was a penalty! The player had moved his arm towards the ball and in any fair minded person’s view that would constitute a penalty.

After Foderingham had been booked for time wasting, Clancy added four minutes of additional time. By this time, Whittaker had replaced Murray and Hibs moved to a back four with Hanlon pushed up front in the hope of getting to one of the many crosses into the box. As often seems to be the case, Hibs then resorted to mainly playing the ball short and very few crosses got anywhere near Hanlon. To finish off proceedings, a Hibs corner witnessed Rocky inside the Rangers penalty area but McGinn, not for the first time, fluffed his delivery and the ball sailed over everyone before going out for a throw to the Rangers.

A hugely disappointing outcome but as Neil said, his players gave him everything, especially in the second half and did not deserve to lose. The bottom line is that only one point has been taken from the last two games with Aberdeen at Pittodrie up next.

The players

Rocky – largely redundant although he had me worried at one point when he came out for a corner that he was never going to get anywhere near, leading to the Morelos miss described earlier. May have done better for the second but I’d like to see it again before committing.

Efe – I lost count of the number of Efe moments tonight. Frequently caught chasing the ball forward and leaving gaps behind him, from one of which the Rangers scored an equaliser.

Daz – had a fantastic game and I don’t think he lost a header all night. It’s good to see the big fella back and to witness him playing so well after a lengthy layoff.

Paul – allowed Morelos to turn him inside out for the second goal and that was disappointing to witness from a normally very reliable defender.

Boyler – caused Declan John no end of problems and must be hugely frustrated that many of his crosses came to nothing. I would say though that he should have cut the ball back in the first half when he elected instead to do what he did against Celtic – fire the ball straight at the keeper’s legs.

Dylan – sponsor gave him man of the match and whilst I felt he was much better than he was against Celtic he was guilty yet again of taking too long to pick a pass and, frustratingly, reluctant to take a shot when around the edge of the box.

SJM – literally nothing came off for him tonight. Wasteful in possession and caught with the ball at his feet I felt he was simply trying too hard. Needs to relax and let his natural game flow.

Lewis – great positioning at the goal and a rare right foot strike that may well have gone in even if it hadn’t deflected. I noticed one poor cross tonight and remarked to my brother that it would be raised on here, rather than the many very good things he did during the game.

Simon – never at the races and was largely anonymous for the 88 minutes he stayed on the park. Had we had another striker on the bench I reckon Murray would have been hooked earlier.

Oli – delighted the laddie was given his first competitive start in the first team but at times he looked like a fish out of water. Having said that, there were other times when his play was intelligent and had he had more support around him he may have flourished.

Stokesy – I just know I’m going to get pelters for this but I thought Stokes was woeful tonight. Continually lost possession, failed to get up in support of the strikers and pretty much convinced many around me that he failed to deliver – again. I thought his reaction at the final whistle said it all. Argued with the ref and then walked off. The other players did the normal thing of applauding the fans. It’s been said that Stokes doesn’t give a damn about Hibs and is all about himself. I know he has a fantastic football brain and I know that he can be very skilful but you do wonder why Neil keeps changing things to suit him.

Barker – I thought the laddie was terrific tonight and led the Rangers defenders on a merry dance. They seemed terrified of him and rightly so. I’m convinced that if either of the shots that hit the post had gone in we’d have won the game. Played less than half the 90 minutes but pipped big Daz for my man of the match.

Whitty – too little too late.

Neil – must be tearing his hair out watching endless opportunities to score being squandered.

The fans – fantastic yet again and I particularly enjoyed the Since1875 display in the FF lower.

The Ref – missed a glaring penalty and a handful of fouls on Hibs players that were waived aside.
    Don’t agree about Efe, thought he was class