hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by BSEJVT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not at all I agree with you.

I think far too many folk expect a superman performance like they got in the cup final each game.

The fact that he has been playing far deeper and is far less likely to score seems to totally escape folk.

Others then rabbit on about Murray's work rate v Stokes, ffs do they really understand football?

Anyone can run about like an idiot, regularly getting caught off side doing so it has to be said, but few have the ability, touch or vision to do something special

Like:

His ball to Stevenson for the equaliser on Sunday

His sublime touch to kill the ball coming out the air on the left touchline

The only other player on the park capable of doing that may be McGeouch, but even then I am not sure.

Stokes also works far far harder than I thought he would and covers masses of ground in the course of a game.

His goal return has been disappointing but as he is not at the tip of the spear, he hasn't had nearly as many chances as others.

Like Stevenson folk see what they want to see or jump on bandwagons.

Murray was rotten last night apart from setting up Stevenson's goal, but he doesn't get a fraction of the criticism Stokes does
    I disagree with most of this.

It's quite often not Stokes's role to drop deep. It was in the first half yesterday and he did ok. Various other times he has been asked to play at the tip of the spear and he's been found wanting.

You mention his ability to do something special. That is recognised and it's precisely because of this ability that people find him so frustrating - he's not contributing nearly enough for someone with that ability. That's his responsibility, it's nobody else's fault.

Murray doesn't get a fraction of the criticism that Stokes gets because he was a free transfer punt, he's performing far above most people's reasonable expectations and is clearly improving every month. He's earning his wage and more.

Stokes is meant to be our talisman, probably the highest paid player and a leader on the park. His body language is shocking, he's getting into arguments with team mates and manager and he's not delivering nearly enough on the park.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough
    Think anyone who questions Stokes has no clue. Easily one of our top 2/3 players, and on his day our best. Let's bring back journeyman strikers that "work hard" and we'll see how we get on. Wouldn't have got a point on Sunday i'll tell you that

I think far too many folk expect a superman performance like they got in the cup final each game.

The fact that he has been playing far deeper and is far less likely to score seems to totally escape folk.

Others then rabbit on about Murray's work rate v Stokes, ffs do they really understand football?

Anyone can run about like an idiot, regularly getting caught off side doing so it has to be said, but few have the ability, touch or vision to do something special

Like:

The only other player on the park capable of doing that may be McGeouch, but even then I am not sure.

Stokes also works far far harder than I thought he would and covers masses of ground in the course of a game.

His goal return has been disappointing but as he is not at the tip of the spear, he hasn't had nearly as many chances as others.

Murray was rotten last night apart from setting up Stevenson's goal, but he doesn't get a fraction of the criticism Stokes does
    Spot on

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiehas2 View Post
    Think anyone who questions Stokes has no clue. Easily one of our top 2/3 players, and on his day our best. Let's bring back journeyman strikers that "work hard" and we'll see how we get on. Wouldn't have got a point on Sunday i'll tell you that
    Sorry mate, I wasn't aware that Stokes had been signed as a forward thinking midfield player or left sided midfield player, I thought he had been signed to get us goals. If I had thought that was the idea when we signed him I would have been crying out for Hibs to sign another striker before the season started. Perhaps it would help deflect the criticism if he wasn't listed as a striker on the club's official website.

With 2 speedy wingers we need speedy strikers making runs into the box. Griffiths and Cummings scored a lot if tap ins.

You see that a lot in Europe and the EPL. Is it just that our strikers can't keep up?

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    I think he's been very poor recently, doesn't look fit, his touch has mostly been poor by his standards and he's not working very hard. I wonder how he managed to get himself to the level of performance that he did in the Cup Final. He hasn't been near that before or after and that's what disappoints me - it's what he's actually capable of as he showed briefly towards the end last Sunday. Add in the bust-up with Lennon and I'd be quite happy to see the back of him.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Oranje39 Wii Code: 0437 4985 6923 2377
    I thought Stokes played well last night in a number 10 role. He shouldn't be used as a striker in my opinion. Murray has had better games and will do again.

Really unlucky last night, some really good foot ball played and I enjoyed watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oranje39 View Post
    I thought Stokes played well last night in a number 10 role. He shouldn't be used as a striker in my opinion. Murray has had better games and will do again.

Really unlucky last night, some really good foot ball played and I enjoyed watching it.
    Can't agree with that at all. Last night, and against St J, Stokesy looked out of his depth in that position. Wasn't threading passes through for the strikers, didn't get one shot away all night. Murray doesn't help since he's off like a rocket in the opposite direction from the ball almost every time, rather than playing close to his partner.
    I think we should use one or the other as a number 9, with instructions to poach as much as possible and leave the running channels to others.
    If we go 3-5-2 at Pittodrie, maybe use Barker in a free role up top with Stokes leading the line.

@hibs.net private member Mantis Toboggan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by number9dream View Post
    Can't agree with that at all. Last night, and against St J, Stokesy looked out of his depth in that position. Wasn't threading passes through for the strikers, didn't get one shot away all night. Murray doesn't help since he's off like a rocket in the opposite direction from the ball almost every time, rather than playing close to his partner.
    I think we should use one or the other as a number 9, with instructions to poach as much as possible and leave the running channels to others.
    If we go 3-5-2 at Pittodrie, maybe use Barker in a free role up top with Stokes leading the line.
    Barker is a natural winger and has just had his best game for hibs. Why would we then play him out of position away to Aberdeen?

Last night Boyle put in a number of dangerous balls begging to be tapped in. We do need someone capable of getting to those, sadly at the moment it looks like neither Murray or Stokes can do that.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewiehas2 View Post
    Nobody is questioning Stokes quality. He's one of our top 3 players 'on his day.'

However, his days have been very rare and anyone not recognising this has no clue. The odd touch here and there doesn't cut it.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar

Like:

100% Agree

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I disagree with most of this.

It's quite often not Stokes's role to drop deep. It was in the first half yesterday and he did ok. Various other times he has been asked to play at the tip of the spear and he's been found wanting.

You mention his ability to do something special. That is recognised and it's precisely because of this ability that people find him so frustrating - he's not contributing nearly enough for someone with that ability. That's his responsibility, it's nobody else's fault.

Murray doesn't get a fraction of the criticism that Stokes gets because he was a free transfer punt, he's performing far above most people's reasonable expectations and is clearly improving every month. He's earning his wage and more.

Stokes is meant to be our talisman, probably the highest paid player and a leader on the park. His body language is shocking, he's getting into arguments with team mates and manager and he's not delivering nearly enough on the park.
    This. The Stokes lovers on here dismiss Murray's workrate as "running about like an idiot" when in fact Murray is the one who has been more useful this season and looks more likely to improve.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This. The Stokes lovers on here dismiss Murray's workrate as "running about like an idiot" when in fact Murray is the one who has been more useful this season and looks more likely to improve.
    Are you allowed to like both of them?

First Team Breakthrough superbam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranje39 View Post

Agree 100%, thought Stokes had a decent game. He's not an out and out striker and IMO shouldn't be expected to be.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Are you allowed to like both of them?
    Yes.

However in terms of their attitude, I don't.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Disappointed with Stokes so far. Can't even remember the last time he played well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    Disappointed with Stokes so far. Can't even remember the last time he played well.

Sunday??

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    As someone said earlier in the thread, if we'd signed him from a wee team and his name wasn't Anthony Stokes everyone would be giving him pelters for his lack lustre, couldnae care less, Billy Big Baws attitude. His name however is Anthony Stokes and therefore the leeway he is given by the fans is staggering.

In summary, he isn't interested.

Simon Murray everytime over this waste of a jersey who is living off his Cup Final performance. Surely NL can see this?

Massively underperformed since he came back. 3 goals from open play for a marquee signing is ridiculous. He doesn’t look interested, looks like he’s lost a yard or so. Didn’t think he played well yesterday and if it was anybody that wasn’t called Anthony Stokes putting in these performances then there would be serious questions about why they weren’t being dropped. He obviously has ability but hasn’t shown it this season. Love the boy for his cup final goals but he hasn’t been good enough this season. Need a striker in January.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDavidGray View Post
    Massively underperformed since he came back. 3 goals from open play for a marquee signing is ridiculous. He doesn’t look interested, looks like he’s lost a yard or so. Didn’t think he played well yesterday and if it was anybody that wasn’t called Anthony Stokes putting in these performances then there would be serious questions about why they weren’t being dropped. He obviously has ability but hasn’t shown it this season. Love the boy for his cup final goals but he hasn’t been good enough this season. Need a striker in January.

Quote Originally Posted by IlDiavola View Post
    What part of that do you disagree with?
    Last edited by DavidDavidGray; 14-12-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Is he not agreeing wth you?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Comes across as more ironic. Could’ve interpreted it wrong though.

None of it. That's why I gave you the . You had just said almost the same as me in the post above yours.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Course I was Matty, thanks.

Comes across as more ironic. Could’ve interpreted it wrong though.
    That's not what ironic means.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    As someone said earlier in the thread, if we'd signed him from a wee team and his name wasn't Anthony Stokes everyone would be giving him pelters for his lack lustre, couldnae care less, Billy Big Baws attitude. His name however is Anthony Stokes and therefore the leeway he is given by the fans is staggering.

Simon Murray everytime over this waste of a jersey who is living off his Cup Final performance. Surely NL can see this?
    Couldn't disagree more.

Prior to his injury and fall out with Lennon I think Stokes was one of our best performing players this season. His form has certainly shaded in the last few games along with a few other players, but even then he's shown his class at times too.

I actually think the opposite from you, and reckon Stokes gets a raw deal from Hibs fans. Because of his ability and the fact that he was a big signing, fans expect too much of him. For me Dylan and Stokes are the 2 classiest players we've got in the squad. Dylan is on top form now playing in his natural position whereas I don't think our formation or the position Stokes has played in, has allowed us to get the best out of him.

I think we need to get off his back, let Lennon do the talking and Stokes class will show.

None of it. That's why I gave you the . You had just said almost the same as me in the post above yours.

Sorry mate, just misunderstood

Left by mutual consent!

Pish. Just because Murray runs around a lot doesn't mean he's contributing more. Murray was humpty last night, Stokes football mind helped Barker have a stormer.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK

Ironic applies, although sarcastic would be more fitting.

Think you are the only one who sees that mate. Utter mince.

Murray was far less involved than Stokes yesterday. Looked well out of his depth.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Agree with the posters who're saying it looks like Murray is out his depth in this league.