hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stokes

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of the finest double-act performances I've seen at Easter Road was when Stokes and Hooper absolutely dismantled us when playing for Celtic a few years ago, possibly when Fenlon was our manager. They took about 6 off us, and I wouldn't have dreamt on that day that Stokes would be back with us within a few years.

Stokes had a Hampden-esque performance against us. Quick, nimble, mobile, he pulled us all over the place and Hooper did likewise.

The problem is, I don't think Stokes is the player he was at that time. He's not as fast, mobile or quick. Not to say he's not still a good player, he's just different, for a number of reasons, and who might have been the best partner for him then might not necessarily be the best partner for him now.

I genuinely don't know how the modern Stokes fits best into team, where he plays or who he partners.
    Problem is at Celtic, Stokes wasn't isolated like he is playing for Hibs. He's our marquee player, and if often doubled up against as he's one of our main goalscoring threats. At Celtic he was one of a number and wouldn't be singled out like he is at Hibs. When he's left one on one with a full back, that's when the magic happens.

2. Log in to remove the advert

madhatter
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think singling out one player - either Stokes or Murray - misses the real problems we have:

1. We don't create particularly good chances - our crossing is poor and we lack a killer ball creative player
    2. We don't have goal scoring midfielders (Boyle being the possible exception)
    3. We can't shoot from distance
    4. None of our strikers are either a classic poacher or a Griffiths like "goal from nothing" player

You can add to that the fact that all those things combine to make the situation worse (e.g. the inability to shoot from distance and lack of goal scoring midfielders make the defenders job of marking the strikers easier).

We're be no means a bad team but I think we'll continue to drop silly and frustrating points until we address at least 3 of the above issues.
    I agree but we whipped in 3-4 great crosses against Rangers and nobody was there. Stokes was caught about 5 yards offside after Barker hit the post. That’s nothing to do with him not being a poacher, that is laziness and watching the ball. Murray is more of a poacher but even he was caught offside about 4 times and didn’t burst into the box for all but 1 cross. Again that is laziness and ball watching, he needs to move. His attempt at a finish on the cross he did get to was woeful.

We can shoot from distance, the problem is we make the pitch too narrow at times and without movement from Murray and Stokes etc. We are pretty much helping the opposition to make a wall. Far too congested to get a clean shot off.