hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Striker needed

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I know it all went sour but Scott Mcdonald IMO would have probably nicked 1 or 2 tonight. That is the type needed.
    if we get $4mln for SJM can we not buy Leigh for $1mln and use the other $3mln to pay his salary for the next 4 years?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by houstonhibbee View Post
    if we get $4mln for SJM can we not buy Leigh for $1mln and use the other $3mln to pay his salary for the next 4 years?
    we wont get 2 for SJM. people need to wake up.

We played a number of decent balls between the keeper and the 6 yard line with not a single Hibs player taking a chance to get in that area .. the one time we did Murray missed a sitter.

At this stage its not a striker to play with Stokes or Murray, its a striker capable of relegating either one of them to the bench because their output is getting more and more disappointing as the season progresses, especially Stokes.

Folk going on about Louis Moult or Leigh Griffiths need to get a grip ..... Moult will ( has apparently ) get offers from down south which will make any wages we can offer him peanuts in comparison and IMO Celtic will not let LG go out on loan. Neil Lennon is going to have to think out of the box on this one and so far it has to be said his signings have hardly set the heather on fire.

Marciano ..... A decent enough keeper, but as he showed tonight pretty hit or miss ... capable of the odd brilliant save it has to be said.

Swanson ..... I know he's had a tough time lately off the field, but its getting to the stage of Danny who?

Whittaker .... No better than David Gray that I can see, in fact Gray is without doubt quicker and a better defender.

Slivka ..... Cant get into the team, nuff said.

Mateluvicious .... I would love NL to explain just what the thinking was that made us sign him and why he cant get a game when he hasn't even been given a chance to show if he can play a full game .... this is a guy with international experience being shoved aside in the pecking order by a 19 year old kid.

Murray .... Has done ok, and if you concede that he was signed to be developed rather than as the finished article then it has to be hoped there is more to come from him.

Stokes .... As manager NL had to look at all the factors before committing a large slice of our budget on him. For me his time at Blackburn should have set alarm bells ringing and lets not pretend he was brilliant during his last loan spell here either, he was ok and saved his best performance for the cup final, something for which we will be forever grateful, but he was far from brilliant overall. To be fair to NL he had to weigh that against the player he had at Celtic and what he thought it was possible to get out of him based on past personal experience.

The question was, am I going to get Celtic Stokes or Blackburn Stokes? That was the risk Lennon took..... unfortunately I think the answer to the question so far isn't the one he, or we, wanted.

So far Neil Lennon's signings have been at best just about delivering what he had hoped for, in some cases a lot less. It does not fill me with a great deal of hope that he can pull a diamond out of the dungheap of poor and average strikers out there within our wage limit.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    As with last season's 'need for width on the left', having a 'lead the line' striker or a poacher means changing things and obviously someone currently starting, dropping down, otherwise what's the point?

A 'lead the line' striker suggests to me someone who plays like Giroud - doesn't just do aerial, but more importantly is big, can hold the ball up and rustles up the defence. That means someone playing off him for his knock-ons, potentially Simon Murray? The problem is, if you then play Barker and Boyle to provide width on both sides, you only have two (SJM and Dylan, I presume) in mid, which leaves us weak. You can't play three at the back because that requires Barker and Boyle to track back and/or leaves the middle exposed if the CHs drift out left or right.

Playing a 'Giroud' with a Stokes and Murray either side sounds sweet, especially with a SJM and Dylan behind them, but you still require Lewis and Whitts/Gray to provide width, leaving a back three exposed.

Playing the 'Giroud' (Kris Boyd in old money, perhaps?) on his own means we have to cover both sides for the counter-attack, but also through the middle if SJM or Dylan are fronting up - Bartley will be exhausted! Plus that's not really the style most fans want.

For me, it's a choice between a back three that allows two up front, or a flatter back four that almost gives us an old-fashioned attacking five - Bartley sitting in front of the defence and any five from Barker, Stokes, McGinn, McGeouch, Murray, Boyle, Shaw and anyone else.

Are we signing Giroud? Barry.

He has his critics but I reckon he'd do well in this league.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

It was a comparison, or a metaphor.

If you drop me a line, I’ll make sure I translate any posts I make into ‘literal’ for you
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I think in the long run, oli shaw is going to be exactly what we're looking for. Maybe try to get a good loan signing in this winter, but i'd be worried about stunting shaw's progress if we signed another long-term striker, unless we offload stokes.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    We played a number of decent balls between the keeper and the 6 yard line with not a single Hibs player taking a chance to get in that area .. the one time we did Murray missed a sitter.

At this stage its not a striker to play with Stokes or Murray, its a striker capable of relegating either one of them to the bench because their output is getting more and more disappointing as the season progresses, especially Stokes.

Folk going on about Louis Moult or Leigh Griffiths need to get a grip ..... Moult will ( has apparently ) get offers from down south which will make any wages we can offer him peanuts in comparison and IMO Celtic will not let LG go out on loan. Neil Lennon is going to have to think out of the box on this one and so far it has to be said his signings have hardly set the heather on fire.

Marciano ..... A decent enough keeper, but as he showed tonight pretty hit or miss ... capable of the odd brilliant save it has to be said.

Swanson ..... I know he's had a tough time lately off the field, but its getting to the stage of Danny who?

Whittaker .... No better than David Gray that I can see, in fact Gray is without doubt quicker and a better defender.

Slivka ..... Cant get into the team, nuff said.

Mateluvicious .... I would love NL to explain just what the thinking was that made us sign him and why he cant get a game when he hasn't even been given a chance to show if he can play a full game .... this is a guy with international experience being shoved aside in the pecking order by a 19 year old kid.

Murray .... Has done ok, and if you concede that he was signed to be developed rather than as the finished article then it has to be hoped there is more to come from him.

Stokes .... As manager NL had to look at all the factors before committing a large slice of our budget on him. For me his time at Blackburn should have set alarm bells ringing and lets not pretend he was brilliant during his last loan spell here either, he was ok and saved his best performance for the cup final, something for which we will be forever grateful, but he was far from brilliant overall. To be fair to NL he had to weigh that against the player he had at Celtic and what he thought it was possible to get out of him based on past personal experience.

The question was, am I going to get Celtic Stokes or Blackburn Stokes? That was the risk Lennon took..... unfortunately I think the answer to the question so far isn't the one he, or we, wanted.

So far Neil Lennon's signings have been at best just about delivering what he had hoped for, in some cases a lot less. It does not fill me with a great deal of hope that he can pull a diamond out of the dungheap of poor and average strikers out there within our wage limit.
    What about ambrose and barker?

Brian Graham?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post

Off topic I know, but it baffled me that he isn't a regular started for Arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    Brian Graham?

Much maligned and under-rated player, whilst I don't think he'd necessarily have been the answer there were times this season when I thought he'd have come in handy.

I still think Stokes is key to all of this.

He looks like he needs to improve his fitness or tailor his game so that he doesn't rely as much on his mobility any more.

We haven't really worked out a role for him within the team. He can't play up front on his own, he struggles when he plays too deep, he hasn't ever really formed much of a partnership with anyone.

There is still a cracking player in there who should be playing at his peak.

With the wingers playing the way they were today, Stokes might have made a more suitable point of the attack.

Maybe it is a number 10/ creative point of the diamond that we need?

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Much maligned and under-rated player, whilst I don't think he'd necessarily have been the answer there were times this season when I thought he'd have come in handy.
    His replacement is getting less of an opportunity.

What about Big Dave? He's a striker isn't he? What's he doing on the payroll otherwise?

we need a 'chris killen' type.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    the final ball is the problem. at least twice we had easy cut back for a finish but it never happened.
    Nowt wrong with the final ball last night...plenty good ballsin across face of goal..yet nobody attacking them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    we wont get 2 for SJM. people need to wake up.
    Agreed...anyone watching him last night wont have been impressed. I thought he was very poor and FFS take him off corners and free kicks Lennon!! He overhits everything

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Some of boyles deliveries were wicked and just begging to be slotted into the net
    With Murray s pace I thought he would of been the one to profit from that Service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue we are experiencing is exaggerated by the fact that whilst we have some quality midfielders, they simply do not score enough goals.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergos View Post
    The issue we are experiencing is exaggerated by the fact that whilst we have some quality midfielders, they simply do not score enough goals.

GGTTH
    Our Strikers haven’t exactly been banging them in either though. Although you are spot on, we don’t have a single goalscoring midfielder in the team. Couple of key positions need looked at in January.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    If Simon Murray wasn't getting out of his ****ing bed in an offside position every morning that would help too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Stokes pulls wide and does his work running in, Murray wants to work too hard and that's actually an issue for poaching. Like it or not a more lazy type of player would probably been more fitting to be in right place not just last night but from day 1.

We can laugh at the Kris Boyd post and I cannot stand him but I think his type would have likely got on the end of some of those crosses and post hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Some of boyles deliveries were wicked and just begging to be slotted into the net
    With Murray s pace I thought he would of been the one to profit from that Service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boyles final ball is terrible, never gets his head up and picks out a man.
    Also I dono if it’s lennons instructions but he never looks for the ball in between defenders always comes deep

We need a midfielder or 2 who can contribute goals as well. Some of the balls into the box last night, and in countless previous games, are just begging for a late run to run onto a cutback or a player sneaking in untracked.

We don't appear to have a midfielder with the ability or desire to do that and our goal return from midfield in recent seasons has been shocking. Unless we improve our goalscoring throughout the team we will continue to drop points in games we should win because every single goal we concede at the moment is a potential game loser.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    We need a midfielder or 2 who can contribute goals as well. Some of the balls into the box last night, and in countless previous games, are just begging for a late run to run onto a cutback or a player sneaking in untracked.

We don't appear to have a midfielder with the ability or desire to do that and our goal return from midfield in recent seasons has been shocking. Unless we improve our goalscoring throughout the team we will continue to drop points in games we should win because every single goal we concede at the moment is a potential game loser.
    Agreed PB how many would Pat McGinlay have got on the end of in this team?

Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post
    Also I dono if it’s lennons instructions but he never looks for the ball in between defenders always comes deep
    When Shaw played him in he had two free in the box,never looked up and shot when the goalie already had the angle covered.Should have been two up and coasting.

Boyle put at least one lovely ball in the box which Murray would have scored with if he had swung his left foot at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Swanson was brought in to be that goal scoring midfielder but he's hardly kicked a ball in anger for us, we never signed anyone similar as cover, Fraser Murray is still young but why not give him an opportunity to fill that void, or play Slivka which allows SJM to push further forward. I lost count the number of times I as shouting at them to shoot last night, we just don't do that enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    Boyle put at least one lovely ball in the box which Murray would have scored with if he had swung his left foot at it...
    A player who’s only job is to get to the byline and set up goals for the forwards and you give me one example in 90mins says it all.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    A player who’s only job is to get to the byline and set up goals for the forwards and you give me one example in 90mins says it all.

Boyle played wing back for a large part of the game yesterday , so had defensive duties as well surely?

Boyle and Barker were skinning their fullbacks for fun yesterday and very often got into promising positions to deliver a cross.

The problem is, I don't know what they're expected to do once they get there. It looked to me like countless good balls were played in tat nobody got onto the end of.

Lewis got into a decent position for cutback to a deeper position but Stokes (??) didn't seem to get into space and anticipate it well enough that he could get a shot away.

The wide players seem an easy target to me. I thought that they did their part, and that it was the fault of other players that we didn't capitalise better on the good work of Boyle and Barker.

(I actually though that this was down to Jason Cummings, but this is a problem that we seem to have continued with since he left).