hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drink

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All top stuff from the breweries I mentioned. Highlight of the night had to be the Kernels - Bierre de Sasion Sour Cherry. Definitely up there with best things i've drunk for a while.
    I was lucky enough to have a pint of that in my local the other day. Not usually a saison fan but but definitely more sour than saison. Amazing stuff.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    I was lucky enough to have a pint of that in my local the other day. Not usually a saison fan but but definitely more sour than saison. Amazing stuff.
    Seen its currently on in Cloisters, very tempted

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The tank beer in Brewhemia is garbage, last time I was in, which incidentally will be the last time, I was charged £5.90 for a pint of stale, badly kept beer.

Garbage sums up the whole Brewhemia experience actually.
    That's saved me a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    That is actually nearly unbelievable. I think you could probably get close to £50 a bottle here for Pliny the Elder.

I've had it a few times - really good - but so much has caught up with it in the last few years. Insanely jealous of you being anywhere close to Russian River! Lagunitas IPA isn't a scratch on it - Heineken sellouts!

Not a bad wee selection there!
    Wow. Back there in June. Might smuggle a few bottles back !!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Bottle of La Vielle Ferme on offer at 6 quid at Morrisons. Very good value.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    On the point about standard “foreign” beers being marketed as premium beers, when we were in Italy on holiday about 10 years ago, several of the bars were selling Tennents Super as a fancy premium beer

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    On the point about standard “foreign” beers being marketed as premium beers, when we were in Italy on holiday about 10 years ago, several of the bars were selling Tennents Super as a fancy premium beer
    Still the case.

I was in Rome last year and got chatting to a group of Roma fans about all the usual stuff a group of guys chat about. They were a bit surprised I was drinking Peroni Red and asked why I wasn't on the Tennents. They seemed shocked and disappointed when I told them no one drinks Tennents Super in Scotland unlrss they 'need' to. I have also seen it in surprisingly attractive bottles in bars in Barcelona and Lisbon.

Something that always surprissd me when I worked in bars when I was younger was how many tourists from the big boys of the lager world like Belgium, Germany and Czech Repiblic really liked regular Tennents. Obviously every German isn't a beer expert but the 'approval rating' for it was very high. As others have said served cold and kept well a pint of Tennents can be very enjoyable.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

As PB has mentioned Belgium, I've been back to Leuven on a few occasions since Hibs played there, its a tremendous place for a beer lover. Had to chuckle when the local hostelry owners looked at me as if I was daft when I asked for Stella Cidre, they never knew what I was talking about! :-)

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Still the case.

I was in Rome last year and got chatting to a group of Roma fans about all the usual stuff a group of guys chat about. They were a bit surprised I was drinking Peroni Red and asked why I wasn't on the Tennents. They seemed shocked and disappointed when I told them no one drinks Tennents Super in Scotland unlrss they 'need' to. I have also seen it in surprisingly attractive bottles in bars in Barcelona and Lisbon.

Something that always surprissd me when I worked in bars when I was younger was how many tourists from the big boys of the lager world like Belgium, Germany and Czech Repiblic really liked regular Tennents. Obviously every German isn't a beer expert but the 'approval rating' for it was very high. As others have said served cold and kept well a pint of Tennents can be very enjoyable.
    I organised a mini tour of Scotland for 25 of us from my work and most of the guys loved Tennents, which they thought was called "T" as that's what's on the font heads. I was highly amused at one point when one of them ordered "4 Ts", swiftly followed by frantic gesticulating as the barman started preparing the cups and saucers.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I used to drive to work in Glasgow from Roseburn. Every day, on the way home there was an advert on what used to be the Cutty Dark bridge which said Home in time for T.

By the time I got back to Roseburn I was drooling.

The Roseburn Bar served a great pint of Tennents in those days and I loved it.

Not so much now though.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I used to drive to work in Glasgow from Roseburn. Every day, on the way home there was an advert on what used to be the Cutty Dark bridge which said Home in time for T.

By the time I got back to Roseburn I was drooling.

The Roseburn Bar served a great pint of Tennents in those days and I loved it.

Not so much now though.

I remember it well. Was it not brewed across the road at the Heriot brewery?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I organised a mini tour of Scotland for 25 of us from my work and most of the guys loved Tennents, which they thought was called "T" as that's what's on the font heads. I was highly amused at one point when one of them ordered "4 Ts", swiftly followed by frantic gesticulating as the barman started preparing the cups and saucers.
    Without a word of a lie, I was in the King's Wark on Sunday after a lovely walk down the Water of Leith. Whilst there a guy with an English accent placed an order for drinks and started by saying "one tea", the barmaid said they don't do tea and the guy started to gesticulate to the Tennents tap. Right enough he was asking for a pint of lager.
    It obviously happens more than you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Was indeed, I worked there just before they shut it down

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    I think you're right.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43492043

English people drink more than Scottish people!!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Enjoying a few bottle of Seven Giraffes just now brewed in Alloa very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43492043

English people drink more than Scottish people!!
    Says within the last week a slightly higher percentage of English folk had consumed alcohol however Scottish are more likely to binge drink.

I'm pretty sure the overall rate of alcohol consumption is higher than in England and one of the highest in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Says within the last week a slightly higher percentage of English folk had consumed alcohol however Scottish are more likely to binge drink.

I'm pretty sure the overall rate of alcohol consumption is higher than in England and one of the highest in the world.
    According to the WHO the UK as a whole is 25th in the world for alcohol consumption per capita. That's below the likes of France and Portugal and just above Spain who are often held up as countries we should aspire to when it comes to our drinking culture, admittedly they likely drink in a different way. Perhaps not surprisingly the top of the list is dominated by former Soviet states.

I can't find any separate data for Scotland but I'd be surprised if it differs hugely from the rUK and Ireland (21st on the list).
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

According to the WHO the UK as a whole is 25th in the world for alcohol consumption per capita. That's below the likes of France and Portugal and just above Spain who are often held up as countries we should aspire to when it comes to our drinking culture, admittedly they likely drink in a different way. Perhaps not surprisingly the top of the list is dominated by former Soviet states.

I can't find any separate data for Scotland but I'd be surprised if it differs hugely from the rUK and Ireland (21st on the list).
    According to this article if you separate Scotland from the rest of the UK we would be 8th highest alcohol consuming nation in the world

http://www.ias.org.uk/What-we-do/Alc...ol-league.aspx

According to this article if you separate Scotland from the rest of the UK we would be 8th highest alcohol consuming nation in the world

That's interesting. I'm going to have a read of that.

That's interesting. I'm going to have a read of that.
    Just realised it's an article from 2009 so not sure how it compares to current figures but I would assume Scotland is still significantly ahead of the rest of UK.

I note that the lowest level of consumption is London.

Something to do with the cost?

Seems to be a bigger issue in Glasgow. No surprise there.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

I can't find any separate data for Scotland but I'd be surprised if it differs hugely from the UK and Ireland (21st on the list).

Would the likes of Spain, and to a smaller extent Portugal not include all us 'Brits' who go on holiday and drink ourselves into oblivion? It would be interesting to see the consumption in Spain if they could remove all the holiday resorts. As you mention however, they might drink more regular in these countries, but binge drinking like us is not something ive witnessed much of from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Would the likes of Spain, and to a smaller extent Portugal not include all us 'Brits' who go on holiday and drink ourselves into oblivion? It would be interesting to see the consumption in Spain if they could remove all the holiday resorts. As you mention however, they might drink more regular in these countries, but binge drinking like us is not something ive witnessed much of from them.
    I was at a wedding in France last year and the drinking started about 3pm and continued throughout the night and well into the next morning. The French contingent definitely drank more than the Scots present but seemed far more controlled in their consumption. Their glasses never seemed empty but they were still going strong at about 6 the next morning. Contrast that with the Scottish contingent who, as Scots do at social events, were on a mission to drink as much as humanely possible. By midnight guys were sleeping at tables, girls were throwing up, the hysterical drunken arguments started and there was one guy took a piss in a swimming pool. It was pretty embarrassing and the French seemed totally bemused by the whole thing.

I think binge drinking is a bigger issue than our overally consumption.

I was at a wedding in France last year and the drinking started about 3pm and continued throughout the night and well into the next morning. The French contingent definitely drank more than the Scots present but seemed far more controlled in their consumption. Their glasses never seemed empty but they were still going strong at about 6 the next morning. Contrast that with the Scottish contingent who, as Scots do at social events, were on a mission to drink as much as humanely possible. By midnight guys were sleeping at tables, girls were throwing up, the hysterical drunken arguments started and there was one guy took a piss in a swimming pool. It was pretty embarrassing and the French seemed totally bemused by the whole thing.

my French mate has lived in Edinburgh for eight years. He drinks red wine every day with food, without fail, but usually its a small glass, and he seems quite happy to nurse it for an hour while talking and eating. And he can quite happily either start drinking more, or just leave it at that. Not something that comes easily to me or most Scots

I was at my cousins wedding a couple of years back and was surprised at the nihilistic level of drinking.

No different to myself when I was in Scotland but I hadn’t seen the like in quite a while!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    The barman misheard me tonight and instead of " A Tennents and an Amstel please" he thought I asked for a pint of Tennents in an Amstel glass.

Wow... the Tennents served in the Amstel glass, so lively that the barman had to chop the froth off, what a difference pint never lost It's frothy head at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    The barman misheard me tonight and instead of " A Tennents and an Amstel please" he thought I asked for a pint of Tennents in an Amstel glass.

Wow... the Tennents served in the Amstel glass, so lively that the barman had to chop the froth off, what a difference pint never lost It's frothy head at all.
    The pint glass makes a massive different to the pint. Middletons is the worst for serving absolutely rank pints on match day as they use shan pint glasses and they are often wet meaning a flat pint. Although it's more exprensive across the road in the Mash Tun you are pretty much guaranteed a decent pint.

@hibs.net private member
    The pint glass makes a massive different to the pint. Middletons is the worst for serving absolutely rank pints on match day as they use shan pint glasses and they are often wet meaning a flat pint. Although it's more exprensive across the road in the Mash Tun you are pretty much guaranteed a decent pint.

A pet peeve comes from a look at Mash Tun's website where there are no prices showing on their menus.

Lazy and amateurish.