hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drink

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like a fancy continental lager as much as the next man but in all honesty nothing beats a ice cold, well poured pint of Tennents.
    Agreed. A good pint of Tennents is immense.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    To be honest, these 'fancy continental lagers' are no more fancy than Tennent's in reality. Heavily marketed pish water - i.e. Becks, Kronenberg, Stella, Peroni etc. We are conditioned to believe they are 'premium' beers, but they're really not. I used to get sucked into that belief too!
    I agree on those beers.

But the Czech pilsners now. Come to daddy!

Everybody drinks them in Czecho. Even the old dears.

Was wandering past the new Malones at Haymarket on Friday and popped in and had a pint of their Tennents tank beer, not impressed. The Innis & Gunn stuff in Platform 5 was very good though.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

Any other rum drinkers that can recommend some?
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

A few years ago I went through a phase of drinking Angostura Rum 5 or 7 year old can't remember which in The Mercat at Haymarket, can't recall seeing it anywhere else.

Bundaberg over proof is good but, take it easy as it'll blow your head off! :-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 19-03-2018 at 07:48 AM.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar

Bacardi Oakheart is great.

Sailor Jerry is nice as well but it can be a wee bit sweet for some people.

You'll struggle to get better than Kraken though imo!
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Was wandering past the new Malones at Haymarket on Friday and popped in and had a pint of their Tennents tank beer, not impressed. The Innis & Gunn stuff in Platform 5 was very good though.
    I’d been wanting to try that, had read it was supposed to be an amazing pint.. although come to think of it I’m sure it was an advert from Malones on Facebook that I read it from!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    I'm not much of a rum drinker but I've always got a bottle of Kraken in the freezer.
    A double shot, straight up from the freezer, you cannae whack it!
    There's a science being alcohol, evaporation, dilution with water and aromatics being released at different temperatures but ice cold Kraken is like drinking a shot of grown up cola!

Not a rum drinker myself but did indulge in a drop or ten of Dominican Republics Brugal Rum & it was excellent 👍

https://us.brugal-rum.com/

Havana club and Ron mulata are what I’ve got on the go...not chilled but over ice.

Oak heart is a lovely drink though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    To be honest, these 'fancy continental lagers' are no more fancy than Tennent's in reality. Heavily marketed pish water - i.e. Becks, Kronenberg, Stella, Peroni etc. We are conditioned to believe they are 'premium' beers, but they're really not. I used to get sucked into that belief too!
    Imported beers used to be good when they first started to arrive.

Gilded Balloon used to have a great range that I never quite managed to work my way through.

Red Stripe was good when it was imported and so was Rolling Rock but now they’re all made in Burton-on-Trent just like all the other marketed brands and they all taste the same as Carling.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’d been wanting to try that, had read it was supposed to be an amazing pint.. although come to think of it I’m sure it was an advert from Malones on Facebook that I read it from!
    Not worth £4.50 a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Imported beers used to be good when they first started to arrive.

Gilded Balloon used to have a great range that I never quite managed to work my way through.

Red Stripe was good when it was imported and so was Rolling Rock but now they’re all made in Burton-on-Trent just like all the other marketed brands and they all taste the same as Carling.
    I really liked Castlemaine XXXX when it first appeared over here but, as you say, it followed a similar path to the ones you've mentioned. Budweiser in the wee stubby cans was much better than the bottles, then they went downhill too.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

I've been enjoying Lagunitas IPA. Also a beer called Pliney the elder made in California, well they both are.
    Tried Hobgoblin gold that I came across lately. Nice I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    I've been enjoying Lagunitas IPA. Also a beer called Pliney the elder made in California, well they both are.
    Tried Hobgoblin gold that I came across lately. Nice I thought.
    Where did you pick up pliney the elder? Wouldnt mind trying that.

Ill b working through a haul from Bottle Baron tonight, got a big mix including verdant, fierce, green flash and northern monk.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Where did you pick up pliney the elder? Wouldnt mind trying that.

Ill b working through a haul from Bottle Baron tonight, got a big mix including verdant, fierce, green flash and northern monk.
    In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.

In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.
    What were the birds like?

What were the birds like?
    lol. Mine is from there. Changed days!!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Finding bottles in the airbnb mustve been some bonus!

Back on the I&G tank beer again, closest thing i've had in the UK to the fine beers on offer in Prague.

Back on the I&G tank beer again, closest thing i've had in the UK to the fine beers on offer in Prague.
    Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.

Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.
    Guzzled a good few pints of Staropramen dark when in Prague a couple of years back, excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Guzzled a good few pints of Staropramen dark when in Prague a couple of years back, excellent stuff.
    Sounds good. Bet they dont sell that weaker alcohol version they released here last year.

Stay in Prague 2. Cheaper and more authentic.

The tank beer in Brewhemia is garbage, last time I was in, which incidentally will be the last time, I was charged £5.90 for a pint of stale, badly kept beer.

Garbage sums up the whole Brewhemia experience actually.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    That is actually nearly unbelievable. I think you could probably get close to £50 a bottle here for Pliny the Elder.

I've had it a few times - really good - but so much has caught up with it in the last few years. Insanely jealous of you being anywhere close to Russian River! Lagunitas IPA isn't a scratch on it - Heineken sellouts!

Not a bad wee selection there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The tank beer in Brewhemia is garbage, last time I was in, which incidentally will be the last time, I was charged £5.90 for a pint of stale, badly kept beer.

Garbage sums up the whole Brewhemia experience actually.
    The whole concept of the place does look garbage. Was hoping the pilsner urquel tank would've been its redeeming feature, will be giving it a miss though

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post

Not a bad wee selection there!
    All top stuff from the breweries I mentioned. Highlight of the night had to be the Kernels - Bierre de Sasion Sour Cherry. Definitely up there with best things i've drunk for a while.