hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 93

Thread: Drink

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like a fancy continental lager as much as the next man but in all honesty nothing beats a ice cold, well poured pint of Tennents.
    Agreed. A good pint of Tennents is immense.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest, these 'fancy continental lagers' are no more fancy than Tennent's in reality. Heavily marketed pish water - i.e. Becks, Kronenberg, Stella, Peroni etc. We are conditioned to believe they are 'premium' beers, but they're really not. I used to get sucked into that belief too!
    I agree on those beers.

    But the Czech pilsners now. Come to daddy!

    Everybody drinks them in Czecho. Even the old dears.

  4. #33
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Was wandering past the new Malones at Haymarket on Friday and popped in and had a pint of their Tennents tank beer, not impressed. The Innis & Gunn stuff in Platform 5 was very good though.

  5. #34
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Don't actually know right now
    Posts
    8,121
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

    Any other rum drinkers that can recommend some?
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

  6. #35
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

    Any other rum drinkers that can recommend some?
    A few years ago I went through a phase of drinking Angostura Rum 5 or 7 year old can't remember which in The Mercat at Haymarket, can't recall seeing it anywhere else.

    Bundaberg over proof is good but, take it easy as it'll blow your head off! :-)
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 19-03-2018 at 06:48 AM.

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Musselburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

    Any other rum drinkers that can recommend some?
    Bacardi Oakheart is great.

    Sailor Jerry is nice as well but it can be a wee bit sweet for some people.

    You'll struggle to get better than Kraken though imo!
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,701
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was wandering past the new Malones at Haymarket on Friday and popped in and had a pint of their Tennents tank beer, not impressed. The Innis & Gunn stuff in Platform 5 was very good though.
    Id been wanting to try that, had read it was supposed to be an amazing pint.. although come to think of it Im sure it was an advert from Malones on Facebook that I read it from!

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,622
    I'm not much of a rum drinker but I've always got a bottle of Kraken in the freezer.
    A double shot, straight up from the freezer, you cannae whack it!
    There's a science being alcohol, evaporation, dilution with water and aromatics being released at different temperatures but ice cold Kraken is like drinking a shot of grown up cola!

  10. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Started on the dark rums recently, very much a virgin in this field. Got bottles of Kraken, Applewood and Dark Matter in the house. Kraken is great, Applewood also nice seems to be a pub drink and Dark Matter is just a bit spicy for me, I can imagine to would be great for a hot toddie though!

    Any other rum drinkers that can recommend some?
    Not a rum drinker myself but did indulge in a drop or ten of Dominican Republics Brugal Rum & it was excellent 👍

    https://us.brugal-rum.com/

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,408
    Havana club and Ron mulata are what Ive got on the go...not chilled but over ice.

    Oak heart is a lovely drink though.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest, these 'fancy continental lagers' are no more fancy than Tennent's in reality. Heavily marketed pish water - i.e. Becks, Kronenberg, Stella, Peroni etc. We are conditioned to believe they are 'premium' beers, but they're really not. I used to get sucked into that belief too!
    Imported beers used to be good when they first started to arrive.

    Gilded Balloon used to have a great range that I never quite managed to work my way through.

    Red Stripe was good when it was imported and so was Rolling Rock but now theyre all made in Burton-on-Trent just like all the other marketed brands and they all taste the same as Carling.

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Id been wanting to try that, had read it was supposed to be an amazing pint.. although come to think of it Im sure it was an advert from Malones on Facebook that I read it from!
    Not worth 4.50 a pint.

  14. #43
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Imported beers used to be good when they first started to arrive.

    Gilded Balloon used to have a great range that I never quite managed to work my way through.

    Red Stripe was good when it was imported and so was Rolling Rock but now theyre all made in Burton-on-Trent just like all the other marketed brands and they all taste the same as Carling.
    I really liked Castlemaine XXXX when it first appeared over here but, as you say, it followed a similar path to the ones you've mentioned. Budweiser in the wee stubby cans was much better than the bottles, then they went downhill too.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,523
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  16. #45
    I've been enjoying Lagunitas IPA. Also a beer called Pliney the elder made in California, well they both are.
    Tried Hobgoblin gold that I came across lately. Nice I thought.

  17. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been enjoying Lagunitas IPA. Also a beer called Pliney the elder made in California, well they both are.
    Tried Hobgoblin gold that I came across lately. Nice I thought.
    Where did you pick up pliney the elder? Wouldnt mind trying that.

    Ill b working through a haul from Bottle Baron tonight, got a big mix including verdant, fierce, green flash and northern monk.

  18. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where did you pick up pliney the elder? Wouldnt mind trying that.

    Ill b working through a haul from Bottle Baron tonight, got a big mix including verdant, fierce, green flash and northern monk.
    In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.

  19. #48
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.
    What were the birds like?

  20. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What were the birds like?
    lol. Mine is from there. Changed days!!

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint-Malo, Brittany
    Age
    51
    Posts
    17,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

  22. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.
    Finding bottles in the airbnb mustve been some bonus!

  23. #52
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,926
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was wandering past the new Malones at Haymarket on Friday and popped in and had a pint of their Tennents tank beer, not impressed. The Innis & Gunn stuff in Platform 5 was very good though.
    Back on the I&G tank beer again, closest thing i've had in the UK to the fine beers on offer in Prague.

  24. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back on the I&G tank beer again, closest thing i've had in the UK to the fine beers on offer in Prague.
    Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.

  25. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.
    Guzzled a good few pints of Staropramen dark when in Prague a couple of years back, excellent stuff.

  26. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Guzzled a good few pints of Staropramen dark when in Prague a couple of years back, excellent stuff.
    Sounds good. Bet they dont sell that weaker alcohol version they released here last year.

  27. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.
    Stay in Prague 2. Cheaper and more authentic.

  28. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you tried the pilsner urquel tank beer in brewhemia? I've had it from the tank elsewhere and thought it was unbelievable. Pragues definitely on my wishlist for a weekend of drinking.
    The tank beer in Brewhemia is garbage, last time I was in, which incidentally will be the last time, I was charged 5.90 for a pint of stale, badly kept beer.

    Garbage sums up the whole Brewhemia experience actually.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member Calvin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Stoke Newington
    Age
    27
    Posts
    3,854
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CalvinoHFC PSN ID: CalvinoHFC
    Quote Originally Posted by stuart-farquhar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In the Russian river bar in Santa Rosa, California where it's brewed. Big queues when new batch for sale. Then bizarrely in an air bnb in Edinburgh there were 3 bottles!! That probably doesn't help. Sorry.
    That is actually nearly unbelievable. I think you could probably get close to 50 a bottle here for Pliny the Elder.

    I've had it a few times - really good - but so much has caught up with it in the last few years. Insanely jealous of you being anywhere close to Russian River! Lagunitas IPA isn't a scratch on it - Heineken sellouts!

    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ill b working through a haul from Bottle Baron tonight, got a big mix including verdant, fierce, green flash and northern monk.
    Not a bad wee selection there!

  30. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tank beer in Brewhemia is garbage, last time I was in, which incidentally will be the last time, I was charged 5.90 for a pint of stale, badly kept beer.

    Garbage sums up the whole Brewhemia experience actually.
    The whole concept of the place does look garbage. Was hoping the pilsner urquel tank would've been its redeeming feature, will be giving it a miss though

  31. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Not a bad wee selection there!
    All top stuff from the breweries I mentioned. Highlight of the night had to be the Kernels - Bierre de Sasion Sour Cherry. Definitely up there with best things i've drunk for a while.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved