hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super John McGinn v Scott Brown.

What a fascinating battle that was between the two of them today, they were shoulder to shoulder for most of the game. I thought McGinn came out on top but it really was a joy to watch two warriors going at it like they did.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Could see there was a mutual respect the way they went for each other to shake each other’s hand after the game.

Is one allowed to be honest on here ?!?

McGinn was great...........thought Brown was even better though. He's still a terrific player.

Great battle by two top players.. mcginn won✅

Great battle today but thought Brown came out on top for the most part. He’s still a level above McGinn at the moment.

That’s no slight on McGinn who is most certainly capable of reaching that level. Given what Brown has down in the game that’s a huge compliment.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is one allowed to be honest on here ?!?

McGinn was great...........thought Brown was even better though. He's still a terrific player.
    I agree.. Brown was always there for a pass, and always seemed to have space and time on the ball to make a pass.. When they were battling for 50/50's McGinn was on top, but Brown used his experience and dropped back to avoid getting into it with SJM.. Clever

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Thought Brown won the first half but McGinn came in to his own in the second. There's not much between them.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    We were saying at the game that, particularly in the first half, Celtic seemed to always have a spare man. Usually it was Brown. He came out on top but he gets one hell of a protection from referees.

John McGinn was superb today, more than held his own against the best midfielder in the country. We're lucky to have him for the time being.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    John McGinn played very well today, and Scott Brown did very well too. Those who say Brown come out on top are forgetting where both players played.

Scott Brown is more of a defensive midfielder, where John plays a more attacking role, and we all know it is a lot easier to stop a player playing than it is to create.

Would love to have both.

Super John was brilliant today, so was Scott Brown. Very tough to say who won it and I thought their battle added to the game and the competitiveness of it.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Cĺash of the titans: McGinn V's Brown

Easter Road Stadium

10th December 2017

Best of 12 rounds or knockout wins

Ref Scott Brown's mum.

First Team Breakthrough BigT-Hibeez's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibeez68
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Cĺash of the titans: McGinn V's Brown

Easter Road Stadium

10th December 2017

Best of 12 rounds or knockout wins

Ref Scott Brown's mum.
    Ha Ha

Brown was in mcginns back pocket all game

Left by mutual consent!
    Brown's run at the end of the match sums him up

He is so underrated.

Even Celtic fans recognised how good Barry Ferguson was in his day but I don't think Brown gets the praise he deserves.

Great battle today and both players enjoyed it. Riveting to watch.

Left by mutual consent!
    Brown plays in a better side. Brown at Hibs was better than SJ is but I would argue isn't anymore. Scott Brown attacking at pace with the ball at his feet was the best midfielder I've seen in a Hibs jersey. The energy, the vision, the bite and the composure. He changed his game going to Celtic and fair play, he's a great player but he's still not what I expected when he was pinging top corners just coming through.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    "his game is based on fouling, which he wouldn't get away with playing for us"

Unbelievably, that's the opinion of a Celtic fan about Mcginn...
    Mon the Hibs.

The first 15 minutes Mcginn was brilliant, winning tackles against brown (one which was bizarrely given as a foul), making him put the ball out of play and skinning him on multiple occasions.

Celtic and Brown then started dropping very deep to get on the ball and kind of killed Mginns ability to press as he couldn’t press that high alone

Last 20 minutes Mcginn came into it again and sent to Celtic players two hell for the first goal with his turn.

In no way was Brown better than Mcginn today.

Brown is a fantastic footballer and made a tremendous interception which stopped a tap in for stokes

Mcginn is also a brilliant player and set up a goal (a Brown og) and caused Celtic problems.

It was a good battle from 2 of Scotland’s best central midfielders.

I always considered Brown to have been the best of our 'golden generation'.
    I'd have him back in a heartbeat and i always hope he retains an affection for out club.
    People forget that only a couple of years after he joined celtc he had a last chance OP which if it hadn't been successful then his career would have been over.
    In a way i think it ended up prolonging his career. His original all action, high energy, box to box style would have been really difficult to have maintained for so long.
    I think Strachan and then Lennon should take a lot of credit for completely changing his game. It allowed him to become the player i think that (back in his Hibs days) most of us though Kevin Thomson was going to become. And fair play to Brown for adapting and playing so much more with his head than just his heart. He has proved himself to be a wonderful footballer and it should be a source of pride for us that he came through our ranks.

As for today i actually said to my laddies after an hour, that i thought brown had handled JMcG well. Though it had to be said that super J had an excellent last quarter of the game.
    It was an terrific contest, two cracking players with great ability and commitment. If i'm being honest i though Brown edged the first 3/4rs and JMc had the best of the last 1/4.
    Brown is still the better player (IMHO) and he has achieved this high level of performance for a much longer period of time. This is no slight on McGinn, who is certainly getting there and it is not impossible that he may go on to to surpass SB which would be no mean feat.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanyman View Post
    Brown's run at the end of the match sums him up

He is so underrated.

Even Celtic fans recognised how good Barry Ferguson was in his day but I don't think Brown gets the praise he deserves.

Great battle today and both players enjoyed it. Riveting to watch.
    He’s really not underrated. The Scottish media won’t hear a word against him and refs seem to let him do what he wants. I’d say he’s very much overrated. Decent player but no more than that.

McGinn was better than him yesterday.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    He’s really not underrated. The Scottish media won’t hear a word against him and refs seem to let him do what he wants. I’d say he’s very much overrated. Decent player but no more than that.

McGinn was better than him yesterday.
    In Scotland he's been the best midfielder over a number of years, a fantastic servant to two clubs. He's a player EVERY team in the country would love, and we were lucky enough to produce him and enjoy him for a short spell.

He also was part of the team Mowbray made and Collins led to a cup win.

He has a ruthless streak, a will to win that i wish all our players had, but you can only get so far with that, you also need to be able to play a bit too, and he can.

McGinn is in that mould, and perhaps could be as good maybe even better, only time will tell.

Different types of players with different roles in the team but both agressive winners. McGinn is spot on to look at Brown as a role model.

I remember a young Hibs Scott Brown battling with Celtics Neil Lennon and the same type of 'apprentice' situation being discussed with them.

However McGinn shaded it for me yesterday on a one on one. Brown has better players around him and has more on offer when he's in a tight situation. SJM has to be far more inventive and clever, as he was, especially in the second half. Brown looked uncomfortable when McGinn was tangling with him.

Blog Entries
    I don’t think there’s a lot between them. Brown probably has the edge on McGinn in terms of grit, determination and aggression (controlled but not always and he gets away with it ) but McGinn is, for me, a better natural footballer in terms of skill, vision and comfort on the ball.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by murray26 View Post
    Brown was in mcginns back pocket all game

This must be a wind up - I thought Brown was MOTM. I love SJM but Brown pretty much orchestrated the whole game for Celtic, he was everywhere, tidying up, scrapping and starting off attacks as well as making last ditch tackles and clearances. Yes he does get away with too many fouls but he is an excellent player that all Scottish clubs would die for, including Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    "his game is based on fouling, which he wouldn't get away with playing for us"

Unbelievably, that's the opinion of a Celtic fan about Mcginn...
    They aren't big on irony on the west coast are they?

First Team Breakthrough
    It reminded me of Brown v Lennon almost. Really good battle to watch. No doubt Brown is still a cut above but I thought McGinn gave a good account of himself.

@hibs.net private member LEaston87's Avatar
    scott brown is dugmeat. He gets so much time on tha ball because the rest of team are head and shoulders above any other team in Scotland. He gets found out at a decent level. At 2-0 up he was doing stepovers when he wasnt even near a hibs player. Mcginn is 10x the player brown is

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    Thought Brown won the first half but McGinn came in to his own in the second. There's not much between them.
    I’d agree with this. But in all honesty it was just great too watch

Quote Originally Posted by LEaston87 View Post
    scott brown is dugmeat. He gets so much time on tha ball because the rest of team are head and shoulders above any other team in Scotland. He gets found out at a decent level. At 2-0 up he was doing stepovers when he wasnt even near a hibs player. Mcginn is 10x the player brown is
    Just a little bias. If Brown gets found out at a decent level McGinn would get killed.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Spanish_Kebab
    Quote Originally Posted by LEaston87 View Post
    I think you undermine yourself there. You have to be a good player to create more time on the ball for yourself by making yourself in the position to look up and look for your next pass