hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That could well be the case, but even the second half I thought we were very poor. It wasn’t until 0-2 down 75 mins in we started to play. If you want to hold them till HT at least come out all guns blazing and hit them where it hurts.
    These quotes are from Tom English's BBC report of yesterday's game:

"This was an epic tussle that got better and better as the day wore on. The closing stages were so frenetic it rendered the biting cold an irrelevance.
    "It was bonkers and utterly brilliant. Maybe - probably - the game of the season."
    "An astonishing, breathless game. Wonderful."

The same reporter was at Tynecastle on Saturday and reported thus:

"On a perishingly cold Edinburgh afternoon, this was a grind of a football match, a game that often lacked composure, wit and anything that might have taken the mind off the temperature."

"Misplaced pass followed misplaced pass. Aimless punt downfield followed aimless punt downfield."
    "The opening half was a dreadful exercise in players running around in a frenetic pursuit of the ball."

Were we really 'very poor'? As I've stated earlier, I didn't see the game but it doesn't SOUND like we were. But if we really were poor and drew 2-2 with Celtic, it bodes well for when we play well

2. Log in to remove the advert

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    I'm very much in the "stay to the end no matter what" camp usually but yesterday it was just me and my son as the rest of the family weren't feeling well, he was playing with my phone rather than watching the match and i genuinely could not feel my toes it was so cold so gave in 15 minutes from the end thinking we weren't going to be getting back into the match anyway and waiting to the end would mean another half hour standing about in the cold as i sit in the very back row of the east.

First goal went in as we were at the bottom of the stairs, second went in as we were walking down the hill and out the gate.....was gutted to have missed it but delighted at the result. The 8 year old who wasn't even watching the match then says "I told you we should have stayed" when we get to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    People giving flack to other supporters for leaving early i find strange. I left after the 2nd goal because my 5 year old laddie moaned the whole way through the game that he was freezing cold. He wasnt up for going going in the 1st place because a 5 year old doesnt want to sit freezing his mini sacks off. So take great delight in the fact that fellow supporters missed what was a great comeback if thats what floats ur boat , and totally ignore the hassle and effort it takes some people to support the team and try to bring their youngsters along with them.
    This reminds me of when I first took my son to games.
    When he was 6 I asked him is he wanted a season ticket for his birthday.
    Without hesitation he told me "No, it is cold and boring"
    15 years later he sits next to me in the East and I complain about the cold

Quote Originally Posted by RossScott1991 View Post
    Brilliant fight back, did not see that coming at all,thought for 70mins we were poor and lacked energy. Was flat from the off, this Celtic team are there to get at if you can show good energy and get them turning. That’s 6 goals in 3 games we have notched against them, might have ended up nicking it at the end. The attitude to get back into it was brilliant. Just a slight negative for me was I noticed where I was sitting in the east soo many fans leaving after Sinclair got his 3rd disallowed. Poor show it was only about 72nd minute. This hibs team have abit of grit about them, Aberdeen at hampden another example. Stick with them, they deserve it.

And finally...
    Ambrose MOTM by a mile IMO.
    I left my seat at 62 minutes. I could have left at 30 minutes. For an hour that was like watching a bobby Williamson match. I ****ing hate people moaning about folk leaving - I and anyone else can do what they want once they've bought a seat.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    I havent left early since I missed Pat Stanton’s equaliser at Tynecastle.

Left by mutual consent!
    I seen people leaving when Halliday scored to make it 2-1. Imagine how that feels.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I thought we did what we needed to to contain Celtic in the first half, if we'd come out and gone for it right from the off we turned leaving ourselves exposed and getting a hammering. It's tight at the top just now so that one point could make the difference.

Overall I was pleased with the performance and thoroughly enjoyed the game, even if I did feel a bit gutted at not getting the three points at the end. A draw was probably a fair result, they had as many chances as we did that were cracking saves or poor misses. I don't think we've anything to be ashamed of drawing against that Celtic side, we made them look pretty ordinary and other games have shown they've a fair few players who are pretty class on their day.

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    These quotes are from Tom English's BBC report of yesterday's game:

"This was an epic tussle that got better and better as the day wore on. The closing stages were so frenetic it rendered the biting cold an irrelevance.
    "It was bonkers and utterly brilliant. Maybe - probably - the game of the season."
    "An astonishing, breathless game. Wonderful."

The same reporter was at Tynecastle on Saturday and reported thus:

"On a perishingly cold Edinburgh afternoon, this was a grind of a football match, a game that often lacked composure, wit and anything that might have taken the mind off the temperature."

"Misplaced pass followed misplaced pass. Aimless punt downfield followed aimless punt downfield."
    "The opening half was a dreadful exercise in players running around in a frenetic pursuit of the ball."

Were we really 'very poor'? As I've stated earlier, I didn't see the game but it doesn't SOUND like we were. But if we really were poor and drew 2-2 with Celtic, it bodes well for when we play well
    It's not a game i recognise tbh, I thought it was very poor (from both teams) for most of game, lots of misplaced passes etc, and not helped by a pitch that wasn't thawed out properly. It livened up magnificently at the end and could have had a great climax had that shot not been blocked, but game of the season? Is Scottish football really that bad?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That could well be the case, but even the second half I thought we were very poor. It wasn’t until 0-2 down 75 mins in we started to play. If you want to hold them till HT at least come out all guns blazing and hit them where it hurts.
    I'm with you 100% on this Cat. We don't need to go crazily gung-ho early doors but we can do a bunch of little things that send a clear message we're out to win the game. Firstly, have everyone play 5 yards further up the park. That way if someone plays a suicide pass we can possibly still redeem the situation. Secondly don't play probably our most gifted player in a position for which he is eminently not suited. Stokes pass for our 2nd goal was a thing of beauty & great credit to Lewis for making the positive run. We got lucky yesterday. Celtc had 3 one on ones with Forrest, Lustvig & Sinclair before they scored. If those had gone in our game plan would have been ruined early on. I'm very happy with the result but hope NL has a wee rethink going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    I seen people leaving when Halliday scored to make it 2-1. Imagine how that feels.
    I bet they never admit to that mistake of a lifetime!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    I thought we got it absolutely spot on up till we went behind. The mistakes apart we were doing just fine.

On another day celtic would have scored at least 6 yesterday. We did not get it spot on.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    I bet they never admit to that mistake of a lifetime!
    I would still be in my house greetin' to be fair. I always thought I would miss it for some reason or another. Sauzee made sure I was there though 👍

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    On another day celtic would have scored at least 6 yesterday. We did not get it spot on.
    How James Forrest didn't score when he was through one on one with Marciano in the first 10 minutes is a complete mystery.....he completely fluffed it

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    How James Forrest didn't score when he was through one on one with Marciano in the first 10 minutes is a complete mystery.....he completely fluffed it
    That chance had nothing to do with how Hibs set up though, Dylan handed it to him on a plate. Until they scored I don’t remember another clear chance they had other than that. A lot of their big chances came when we were chasing the game. I said at half time it was going really well, they were ‘doninating’ While doing very little and we were creating small opportunities on the break (Boyle forcing a save from gordon being one)

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    That chance had nothing to do with how Hibs set up though, Dylan handed it to him on a plate. Until they scored I don’t remember another clear chance they had other than that. A lot of their big chances came when we were chasing the game. I said at half time it was going really well, they were ‘doninating’ While doing very little and we were creating small opportunities on the break (Boyle forcing a save from gordon being one)
    Twice Gordon made unbelievable one handed saves where he grabbed and held on to the ball in mid hair. Most keepers would have punched or palmed it away, I couldn't believe how well he grabbed both. He had a good game aside from the one (almost glorious) fumble at the end.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Two things mr Crab. You seem to have only half read my post. Secondly we drew the game in case you were one of those that left at 2 nil down. Could have won it too. Result says tactics were absolutely spot on. It’s now worked twice as we are unbeaten against them inThe league and putting up a decent semi final performance too scoring six times over the three games. I’m. no expert but I think Theres a good chance we could have been on the end of three hidings from them with different tactics . Yup absolutely spot on till we were behind.
    Last edited by greenlex; 11-12-2017 at 10:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    I don't see why anybody has to justify leaving early, if you want to leave then leave, if you want to stay then stay. Makes no difference to me.

Exactly, this thread is just an excuse to have a go at fellow supporters, why is beyond me?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Exactly, this thread is just an excuse to have a go at fellow supporters, why is beyond me?
    I tried to change the subject BH 😂

Exactly what the guy in the East sitting next to me said when i was fretting. about how much possession Celtic had

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Very, very boring first 45 mins to watch though. Celtic dominating possession but both them and Hibs doing **** all is not great to watch. Boyles chance was the only one we had and Dylan handed them their chance as he had no positive thought in his mind. We barely had the ball.
    I'll take the second 45 any time. I also don't think it was only about the last 15. I thought we were better to watch from the restart.

Quote Originally Posted by MyJo View Post
    James Forrest missed that because that is the sort of player he is.Flatters to deceive.Much like the Celtic team who seem to think that making twenty passes and ending up in the same part of their own half that they started is the way Barcelona play.It was amusing to watch them strolling around when they were two up nonchalantly wandering over to take corners,waving to the crowd in one case and then wetting themselves during the last 15 minutes.The’ve reached their peak.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Very, very boring first 45 mins to watch though. Celtic dominating possession but both them and Hibs doing **** all is not great to watch. Boyles chance was the only one we had and Dylan handed them their chance as he had no positive thought in his mind. We barely had the ball.
    I'll take the second 45 any time. I also don't think it was only about the last 15. I thought we were better to watch from the restart.
    When it comes to playing Celtic I don’t really care how it looks to the neutral and nor does Lennon thankfully. If we bore the life out of them and everyone else and sneak a late goal then outstanding. If we make it proper exciting and lose 5-0 I’m guessing folks wouldn’t be best pleased. You can’t go gung-ho at Celtic from minute 1 as they will pick you off easily and you’ll be on the end of a doing. Making it boring and frustrating them is most teams best chance of beating them. Don’t blame Dylan’s mistake on lack of positivity, it was just a piss poor decision by him.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    I have to say I thought the game was pretty flat for long periods but, to be fair, we could just as easily have had 4.

I thought it was a fascinating opening 45 and a compelling second 45.

I thought we did really well for long periods and threw in a few howlers.

I think people here can only see 1 side of the game if we're talking about going at the team that's won the last 4 trophies up for grabs.

You may have an opinion that they aren't all that, but their run says otherwise.

We could have won, we could have been pumped.
    Enjoyed the game thoughly.
    It's very refreshing seeing us go toe to toe with the best team in the land and not be beaten in either league game.

Take it and move on.

Ggtth

When it comes to playing Celtic I don’t really care how it looks to the neutral and nor does Lennon thankfully. If we bore the life out of them and everyone else and sneak a late goal then outstanding. If we make it proper exciting and lose 5-0 I’m guessing folks wouldn’t be best pleased. You can’t go gung-ho at Celtic from minute 1 as they will pick you off easily and you’ll be on the end of a doing. Making it boring and frustrating them is most teams best chance of beating them. Don’t blame Dylan’s mistake on lack of positivity, it was just a piss poor decision by him.
    Ambrose should have hoofed it instead of giving it to him !!

On the leaving early bit, I never do.
    That's me. Seeing the stands emptying conveys a message of having given up, and I hate an away side feeling smug that they've driven us out early.
    I always back the team the death.

That said there's always reasons to need to Leave early.. but the opposite team scoring is never a good enough one for my own mind.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by greenlex View Post
    Two things mr Crab. You seem to have only half read my post. Secondly we drew the game in case you were one of those that left at 2 nil down. Could have won it too. Result says tactics were absolutely spot on. It’s now worked twice as we are unbeaten against them I. The league and putting up a de ent semi final performance too scoring six times over the three games. I’m. One left but I think Theresa good chance we could have been on the end of three hidingsgki hat them with different tactics. Yup absolutely spot on till we were behind.
    You've got this all wrong. The result only works when trying to make the point that it doesn't matter if we played well, we got beat. Only in that specific circumstance can you call on the result to back up your argument .

When it's to justify something positive, the result is a minor detail, easily dismissed as 'luck'.

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    People giving flack to other supporters for leaving early i find strange. I left after the 2nd goal because my 5 year old laddie moaned the whole way through the game that he was freezing cold. He wasnt up for going going in the 1st place because a 5 year old doesnt want to sit freezing his mini sacks off. So take great delight in the fact that fellow supporters missed what was a great comeback if thats what floats ur boat , and totally ignore the hassle and effort it takes some people to support the team and try to bring their youngsters along with them.
    Here hear

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    You've got this all wrong. The result only works when trying to make the point that it doesn't matter if we played well, we got beat. Only in that specific circumstance can you call on the result to back up your argument .

When it's to justify something positive, the result is a minor detail, easily dismissed as 'luck'.
    Tell that to the losers the result is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post

I think the truth is half way between both of these polarising opinions.

If I'm being honest about yesterday, I thought we were fantastic in the last 15 minutes of the game, not just with the two goals but in our overall play. The pace that we played at, the urgency we showed to close Celtic down and the physical side of the game was all there to see. I don't think there's another team in Scotland who could have coped with how we played during that period and of course coming back from 2-0 down against the best team in the country is very impressive in itself.

However the rest of the match was disappointing from my point of view, I thought we were too passive in large spells and didn't really get close enough to Celtic for my liking. I thought we sat too deep and allowed them to take control of the ball too often. This was also the thoughts of Neil Lennon in his post match interview so there must be some truth in it.

I think it says a lot about how this club has grown over the last couple of years that we can come away from a match against a team that's gone almost 70 domestic games unbeaten and will undoubtedly win the league at a canter again this year, get a 2-2 draw against them after being 2-0 down with 15 minutes left and be left somewhat disappointed.

3 and a half years ago we could have only dreamed about that sort of scenario. We are definitely a club that's well and truly on the up and long may it continue.