hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Whittaker

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if we do sign another right back it's not too clever business either, bearing in mind we already brought in cover for our injury prone right back with another injury prone right back on a three year deal!
    are either of them really injury prone? or just having a chance to have a dig at lennon

2. Log in to remove the advert

Whittaker problem has nothing to do with an injury. He has been failing work hard enough since the start of the season.
    Check Rangers 2nd goal at Ibrox, Whittaker has plenty time to get out and put pressure on tavernier but decides he can defend from ten feet away. Allows tavernier enough time to line up an inch perfect cross.
    He does it in every game he plays. He does not get close to his man.
    Against Aberdeen, he just switched off like he did the week before with Sinclair.
    You can’t have players in the team who are unwilling to work hard which is what’s happening here. That becomes infectious.
    We need a right back in January which is grim as we have two already at the top of our wage bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by keep the faith View Post
    I agree another right back is wasteful, but would worry that it's wasting Boyle if we play him too deep.
    Any money we have in January needs to go on young creative players or a centre forward IMO.

It doesn't stop players like Ashley Young and Valencia at Man U, both ex wingers now very attacking wingbacks. If played in the correct system attacking winbacks are just as potent as wingers, the defenders and midfielders need to be more on the ball and cover when they go forward.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its strange we are having a thread about Whittaker, as if he's to blame for recent goals we have shipped in, yet he was not on the park when we lost both goals on wednesday, and not on the park for the first 3 on saturday.

According to Lennon, he's struggling with an injury, Whittaker does not pick the team, but when Whittaker is not on the park and the team are still losing goals, i fail to see how Steven is getting it tight.

Could he do better, of course he can. Yet those who are calling for him not to play, and you then see the teams people are picking before each game, those replacing him are hardly covering themselves in glory either.

He's not fit, David Gray is not fit, but Lennon is asking Whittaker to help him out as he's better than what we put there as a replacement.
    Agree think he is a cracking player to have, criticism is unfair imo.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Agree think he is a cracking player to have, criticism is unfair imo.
    Totally agree, said earlier that I was unhappy with some of the stuff being said about at Steven. He is not a lazy player or a poor footballer he is a international player of some skill who is currently going through a dip in form, as many do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Totally agree, said earlier that I was unhappy with some of the stuff being said about at Steven. He is not a lazy player or a poor footballer he is a international player of some skill who is currently going through a dip in form, as many do.
    No, he is being lazy. Not tracking runners, not closing players down. That’s lazy. If it’s because of an injury then he has had it all season and we should not have bought him.
    Hamilton’s wonder goal at Easter Road when they had 300 passes never happens if Whittaker tracks his man. And I’m not talking a sprint here. He just has to go with him.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    No, he is being lazy. Not tracking runners, not closing players down. That’s lazy. If it’s because of an injury then he has had it all season and we should not have bought him.
    Hamilton’s wonder goal at Easter Road when they had 300 passes never happens if Whittaker tracks his man. And I’m not talking a sprint here. He just has to go with him.

Don't agree, but that's just my opinion.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    FWIW, I don't think he's lazy, he's just a very poor defender and has been since day one. I thought that he might improve with time and experience but he hasn't. I'm amazed how many Hibs people haven't seen this. Our opponents have, that's for sure.
    Last edited by snooky; 19-12-2017 at 02:21 PM.

Whittaker problem has nothing to do with an injury. He has been failing work hard enough since the start of the season.
    Check Rangers 2nd goal at Ibrox, Whittaker has plenty time to get out and put pressure on tavernier but decides he can defend from ten feet away. Allows tavernier enough time to line up an inch perfect cross.
    He does it in every game he plays. He does not get close to his man.
    Against Aberdeen, he just switched off like he did the week before with Sinclair.
    You can’t have players in the team who are unwilling to work hard which is what’s happening here. That becomes infectious.
    We need a right back in January which is grim as we have two already at the top of our wage bill.

Tavernier crossed the ball and got into the box to score the header. Magical

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Tavernier crossed the ball and got into the box to score the header. Magical
    My point stands even if I mistook the crosser.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Dear oh dear you seem determined to prove a point. No way is he lazy maybe slowed down a bit due to getting older it happens. He has played really well in some of the games I have seen and is probably one of the most technical players we have but crack on with your witch hunt.

I think people are wide of the mark if they think Whittaker is anywhere near top earner. The length of his deal suggests otherwise to me.

As an aside, whilst I was raging on Saturday as Whitty claimed offside in vain for Mackay-Stevens third goal, he was right. Mackay-Steven was offside and it wasn't exactly a tough one for the linesman to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    are either of them really injury prone? or just having a chance to have a dig at lennon
    Gray is a bit injury prone to be fair. Does anyone know when he's due to return? He's a player I'd always want for a derby

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I think people are wide of the mark if they think Whittaker is anywhere near top earner. The length of his deal suggests otherwise to me.

As an aside, whilst I was raging on Saturday as Whitty claimed offside in vain for Mackay-Stevens third goal, he was right. Mackay-Steven was offside and it wasn't exactly a tough one for the linesman to get right.
    ... But as we said on the match thread, there was no reason for him to stop tracking GMS to make that point to the ref!

Quote Originally Posted by allant1981 View Post
    Eh? I think Lennon is brilliant.

I do think Whittaker was a poor signing though.

And both are indeed injury prone.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Dear oh dear you seem determined to prove a point. No way is he lazy maybe slowed down a bit due to getting older it happens. He has played really well in some of the games I have seen and is probably one of the most technical players we have but crack on with your witch hunt.
    When it happens again, and it will so long as he’s getting selected, even you will begin to see that he’s finished.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    When it happens again, and it will so long as he’s getting selected, even you will begin to see that he’s finished.

How many of the 8 goals we've conceded in our last three games, would you say have been down to Whittaker?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    How many of the 8 goals we've conceded in our last three games, would you say have been down to Whittaker?
    Ozy’s annual slating of our signings. Becomes fairly tiresome after a while.

Ozy’s annual slating of our signings. Becomes fairly tiresome after a while.
    Because it criticised Holt last year? In the end Lennon agreed and did not renew his contract.
    I think he’ll agree on Whittaker as well and we’ll see a new right back arrive.
    Sorry to bore you.

Because it criticised Holt last year? In the end Lennon agreed and did not renew his contract.
    Sorry to bore you.

Holt played a big part in both our league win and Scottie cup run, and he wasn’t released, he decided the travelling was too much and went ack down the road, fairly big difference. Your comment on another thread where we were linked with someone was ‘not another 30+ year old’ so it’s clear anyone with any sort of experience will not be welcomed by you.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Sorry to bore you.

thought holt had been offered a contract but said no?

Holt played a big part in both our league win and Scottie cup run, and he wasn’t released, he decided the travelling was too much and went ack down the road, fairly big difference. Your comment on another thread where we were linked with someone was ‘not another 30+ year old’ so it’s clear anyone with any sort of experience will not be welcomed by you.
    I’m wary of older players although I like Niall Mcginn as a player.
    Holt was not offered a new deal.

Left by mutual consent!
    I’m wary of older players although I like Niall Mcginn as a player.
    Holt was not offered a new deal.

Holy was offered a new deal. He turned it down because of travelling issues and missed his kids

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Holy was offered a new deal. He turned it down because of travelling issues and missed his kids
    https://www.scotsman.com/sport/footb...hibs-1-4444310

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Whittaker has been very poor defensively all season. Can’t believe we gave him three years as well.
    This was one of many threads last season