hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its a bit of a bugger, the players we pursued the most in close season - Stokes and Whitty - have proved to be a bit hot and cold, and are probably two of the highest earners.

Thats life, I suppose but almost wish we had bought a young hungry fullback instead.
    That's the biggest bugger about this. We have a forward who is probably the highest earner at the club contributing way below what we thought he was capable of and the guy who is probably the next highest earner looking like no improvement on the guy he has been keeping out of the team going forward and worse as a defender and we have him on a 3 year contract FFS.

For different reasons they were both a gamble and IMO that gamble looks like not paying off in either case, which is bloody annoying

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    That's the biggest bugger about this. We have a forward who is probably the highest earner at the club contributing way below what we thought he was capable of and the guy who is probably the next highest earner looking like no improvement on the guy he has been keeping out of the team going forward and worse as a defender and we have him on a 3 year contract FFS.

For different reasons they were both a gamble and IMO that gamble looks like not paying off in either case, which is bloody annoying
    Good post NN.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Its a bit of a bugger, the players we pursued the most in close season - Stokes and Whitty - have proved to be a bit hot and cold, and are probably two of the highest earners.

Thats life, I suppose but almost wish we had bought a young hungry fullback instead.
    Hot and cold is a bit generous for me. Lukewarm and freezing would be how I would describe the performance of players who have played at a very high level and must be the highest earners at the club

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    Hot and cold is a bit generous for me. Lukewarm and freezing would be how I would describe the performance of players who have played at a very high level and must be the highest earners at the club

Whittaker has done virtually nothing of note and Stokes couldn't care less if he did something of note or not in my opinion.

@hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    I’m absolutely shocked we gave a 33 year old a 3 year contract. Just let that settle in, 3 years!! I’m not even his biggest critic but seeing his fitness now you only have to imagine what it’ll be like in 2 years time..

@hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    I would think that for a full back the minimum requirements would be a bit of pace, positional awareness and the ability to put in a tackle. Lewis and Dave have these and that is what makes them solid options, Whittaker hasn't really shown any of the above since his return. If I was an opposing manager I would stick someone with pace on his shoulder all day.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    I’m absolutely shocked we gave a 33 year old a 3 year contract. Just let that settle in, 3 years!! I’m not even his biggest critic but seeing his fitness now you only have to imagine what it’ll be like in 2 years time..
    He's not on much wage at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    I would think that for a full back the minimum requirements would be a bit of pace, positional awareness and the ability to put in a tackle. Lewis and Dave have these and that is what makes them solid options, Whittaker hasn't really shown any of the above since his return. If I was an opposing manager I would stick someone with pace on his shoulder all day.
    This last week has given me serious doubts about Whittaker, at least in that position.

The modern full-back needs way more of the attributes you list above than Whittaker is currently displaying.

We looks to me to be finished as a fullback, and any club with a pacy winger will try to exploit him.

Whittaker still has something to offer but I wonder if he's going to need to change his position, possibly back into centre mid. He had a great game in there in the league cup, has 2 good feet and a great range of passing.

The 3 year contract looks a bit mad right now.

I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
    This without question is Neil lennon's worst buy. It was a gamble that has not paid off.
    I really, really hope that I end up with egg on my face and Whitty somehow rediscovers the form of yesteryear, but it's not looking likely at this stage.
    Last edited by Hi Heid Yin; 16-12-2017 at 06:17 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lennon's Lip View Post
    I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is, for want of a better expression, a "wage thief" - draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
    This without question is Neil lennon's worst buy. It was a gamble that has not paid off.
    I really, really hope that I end up with egg on my face and Whitty somehow rediscovers the form of yesteryear, but it's not looking likely at this stage.
    I don't like the term "wage thief". it is so disrespectful...Whittaker is playing despite having an injury..taking one for the team, so to speak....it may be that he is performing poorly, but he is widely regarded as an excellent professional, and in no way a "wage thief"

Fwiw...didn't think he was that bad when he came on today...feels like an easy target...Bartley, Murray, McGinn and McGeough were far worse...and need to really look at their contributions today..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is, for want of a better expression, a "wage thief" - draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
    Glad you know how much Whits is picking up each week. Funnily enough you couldn’t be further from the truth.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Glad you know how much Whits is picking up each week. Funnily enough you couldn’t be further from the truth.
    Yes true....the story I heard about the negotiations was that Petrie started with..."now Steven, you've made lots of money after developing here, so you won't be expecting much of a wage"....and actually it ended up being nowhere near our top salary....he wanted to come back here and play..

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I don't like the term "wage thief". it is so disrespectful...Whittaker is playing despite having an injury..taking one for the team, so to speak....it may be that he is performing poorly, but he is widely regarded as an excellent professional, and in no way a "wage thief"

Fwiw...didn't think he was that bad when he came on today...feels like an easy target...Bartley, Murray, McGinn and McGeough were far worse...and need to really look at their contributions today..

I do apologise and have removed the offending term.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    I just think of that guy Naismith that used to play at st mirren. Don’t think he’s there now.
    He’s big, fast and gets up and down the line.
    Would have fancied him a few seasons back but I don’t k ow if he’s kicked on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    None of us know what he is earning, but it will be a healthy sum regardless.
    If he is not doing the business for our first team then his wages could be put to better use.
    I have apologised for my earlier remark about Whitty and removed the offending term.

Left by mutual consent!
    I wanted to believe that Whittaker would come good, but as the weeks and months have gone by, it's hard not to think that he is draining our club of a healthy sum in wages for too little in return.
    Brutal from start to finish. He's taking very little from the club and is indeed putting something back in. See if we lose any money on him, take it from the £2m we made selling him in the first place. Extremely disrespectful to a very good professional.

Top pro but just lost his legs

Does anyone know if he has Done his Coaching Badges.. ??

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Does anyone know if he has Done his Coaching Badges.. ??
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Yes.
    Might not be a bad signing if he is on the Low wages that folks have suggested..

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Brutal from start to finish. He's taking very little from the club and is indeed putting something back in. See if we lose any money on him, take it from the £2m we made selling him in the first place. Extremely disrespectful to a very good professional.
    I agree that Whitty is a top professional. I simply put sentiment aside when posting earlier. If he's not delivering effectively on the pitch then he is going to draw attention to himself, negative or otherwise. He's no different to Stokes or any other player. He will be praised by me when deserving of praise and receive criticism when deserving of criticism. Hardly "brutal"!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by mca View Post
    Might not be a bad signing if he is on the Low wages that folks have suggested..
    Exactly. He's not expexted to be a first teamer in 2 years time and is on a low wage as he's made his money and eager to learn from Lennon.

Left by mutual consent!
    I agree that Whitty is a top professional. I simply put sentiment aside when posting earlier. If he's not delivering effectively on the pitch then he is going to draw attention to himself, negative or otherwise. He's no different to Stokes or any other player. He will be praised by me when deserving of praise and receive criticism when deserving of criticism. Hardly "brutal"!
    The wage thief part got me riled, sorry.

@hibs.net private member
    It's taken a few years but Lewis seems to have been deposed as our go to scapegoat

Nobody even defending him now, just claims he is being paid peanuts so it doesn’t matter. I don’t care what he is earning or what he done in the past, he’s not good enough to be playing in the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreenside View Post
    Top pro but just lost his legs
    I agree.
    He's an honest pro and, I'm sure, trying his level best each game, but there can be no room for sentiment if our club is to seriously maintain a challenge to The Sheep and Sevco.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Nobody even defending him now, just claims he is being paid peanuts so it doesn’t matter. I don’t care what he is earning or what he done in the past, he’s not good enough to be playing in the first team.

I’m defending him - playing injured , great pro - others much worse than him today - well worth a place in our squad

Has he been injured since the start of the season like because he's been pish since Ibrox

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    I just think of that guy Naismith that used to play at st mirren. Don’t think he’s there now.
    He’s big, fast and gets up and down the line.
    Would have fancied him a few seasons back but I don’t k ow if he’s kicked on.

Plays st Ross county

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Has he been injured since the start of the season like because he's been pish since Ibrox
    He hasn't played a lot of football in two year so has been trying to get up to speed. He's injured just now though and is helping the squad making himself available. We have got a manager whom doesn't need to select him remember. Why not have a go at the person selecting him instead of people ripping into Whittaker?

We where getting pumped long before he came on.