hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittaker

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whittaker, Hanlon and Stevenson are all decent against bottom six premiership sides. Against Celtic, they are cruelly exposed pace wise, and will possibly struggle a bit against A'deen and Huns too. They need replaced if we're to progress.
    Whittaker yes but then he was never the best defender, as far as the other two go, you're either drunk or more likely trolling. Stevenson is fine and Hanlon is excellent

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I've always been a Whitty fan but yes, he struggled really badly yesterday. It was very obvious that he was far from being 100% fit and the really sad thing (a recurring theme) is our apparently reluctance to take a chance with one of our younger players in circumstances like yesterday.

First Team Breakthrough
    Rate Whittaker in terms of composure & technical ability but he was left for dead plenty of times by Sinclair yesterday, not sure many rbs in the country would cope against tierney & Sinclair on the one flank though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member staunchhibby's Avatar
    You must joking re your comments about hanlon.Totaly disagree with it.

I see Jane Park has made the papers with her opinion on Whittaker's performance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ar-retire.html

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I see Jane Park has made the papers with her opinion on Whittaker's performance.

She's an eejit. She can pay me for my time to post this comment if she has money to burn.....

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

Ah yes the curious case of The Daily Mail - didn’t they employ Katie Hopkins? There are other media outlets to get your news without the moral outrage and provocation.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Did anyone hear Lenny say Whitty was suffering with a pelvic injury?
    Surely needs to be taken into consideration.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    I actually thought Efe had to do better at the second goal. Once Sinclair gets inside Whittaker all Efe had to do was step out, Sinclair gave him plenty opportunity to do so but he held his ground when marking nobody. Then Bartley turning his back after not taking McGregor out on half way and it was more than just Whitty at fault.
    Efe and Bartley had to do better at second goal to be fair to Efe Tierney made a brilliantly timed run which he gambled on covering meaning Sinclair had more time than he should have got. Poor goal defensively that is for sure.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Did anyone hear Lenny say Whitty was suffering with a pelvic injury?
    Surely needs to be taken into consideration.
    Definitely does Whitty is a great footballer but has never been the best defensively and having an injury won't have helped that is for sure. Is SDG anywhere near fitness?

Why was Whitty playing then if injured? That could further damage his playing career and starting him infront of a FIT McGregor makes no sense. Sorry but Lennon is trying to save his players face here. Whitty was fit for Sunday and made a right Noel Hunt of it. I’m convinced he’s done.
    Last edited by Thecat23; 13-12-2017 at 07:22 AM.

Hate to say this, but The Rangers got the best out of SW when they played him as a midfielder (scored a few goals too)! Never been a fan of his as a defender, but I still think he is a good player, if we played him in the midfield.
    Sunday was not the first time he was caught flat footed and left standing when going to challenge a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Why was Whitty playing then if injured? That could further damage his playing career and starting him infront of a FIT McGregor makes no sense. Sorry but Lennon is trying to save his players face her. Whitty was fit for Sunday and made a right Noel Hunt of it. I’m convinced he’s done.

This.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching him struggle to get back at times, I can't remember him being that slow before.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    Hate to say this, but The Rangers got the best out of SW when they played him as a midfielder (scored a few goals too)! Never been a fan of his as a defender, but I still think he is a good player, if we played him in the midfield.
    Sunday was not the first time he was caught flat footed and left standing when going to challenge a player.
    He predominantly played full back for Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This.

I couldn't believe my eyes watching him struggle to get back at times, I can't remember him being that slow before.
    It really was scary how slow he was. I felt for him because he looked completely done and Lennon for me got it very wrong playing him. He doesn’t look like he can run he can’t defend and to have him on a 3 year deal is a worry.

Think hes been left a bit of a scapegoat here.

Sinclair is the best winger in Scotland, by far. Hes also got alot of pace, skill and a eye for goal. Hes going to be the best player Whitty comes up against this season, no questions. Both times we conceded Whitty was left isolated, we should have doubled up on him, everytime.

Whittaker isnt the greatest but thats why hes at Hibs at the tailend of a very good career. Dont know much about this pelvic problem but must have been deemed fit enough to start so cant use that as an excuse. As a side note, Gray would have been destroyed by Sinclair worse, IIRC Gray was hooked at half time against them in the league cup semi....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sauz View Post
    The German started his career as a midfielder. I can't see who we would drop him for though. He's called German because he was a machine back in the day but sadly it doesn't seem the case these days. 3 year contract but he won't be on the most money in the world and is great around the club.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHibs View Post
    Think hes been left a bit of a scapegoat here.

Sinclair is the best winger in Scotland, by far. Hes also got alot of pace, skill and a eye for goal. Hes going to be the best player Whitty comes up against this season, no questions. Both times we conceded Whitty was left isolated, we should have doubled up on him, everytime.

Whittaker isnt the greatest but thats why hes at Hibs at the tailend of a very good career. Dont know much about this pelvic problem but must have been deemed fit enough to start so cant use that as an excuse. As a side note, Gray would have been destroyed by Sinclair worse, IIRC Gray was hooked at half time against them in the league cup semi....
    So do I.

Whittaker is a good player. He's not perfect - his achilles heel was always the defensive side of his game, and now he's knocking on a bit he will be losing a bit of pace.

Sticking him in, possibly carrying an injury, at right back against one of the quickest and most effective players in the league is effectively hanging him out to dry unless we make some allowances in terms of our expectations of his performance. Sinclair will want to cut in at pace on to Whittaker's weaker side. Whittaker actually stopped him a good number of times in addition to the expected few times when he was skinned.

We got a good point against a side with a fantastic domestic record. I don't think we did that much wrong over the 90 minutes other than to fall back on ourselves for 20 minutes after half time.

Sinclair will cause big problems for better players than Whittaker.

I thought Jane Park's comments were crass and poor about a player who has served us well and will continue to serve us well. He deserves much better.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    So do I.

Whittaker is a good player. He's not perfect - his achilles heel was always the defensive side of his game, and now he's knocking on a bit he will be losing a bit of pace.

Sticking him in, possibly carrying an injury, at right back against one of the quickest and most effective players in the league is effectively hanging him out to dry unless we make some allowances in terms of our expectations of his performance. Sinclair will want to cut in at pace on to Whittaker's weaker side. Whittaker actually stopped him a good number of times in addition to the expected few times when he was skinned.

We got a good point against a side with a fantastic domestic record. I don't think we did that much wrong over the 90 minutes other than to fall back on ourselves for 20 minutes after half time.

Sinclair will cause big problems for better players than Whittaker.

I thought Jane Park's comments were crass and poor about a player who has served us well and will continue to serve us well. He deserves much better.
    What do you mean Jane Park's comments and why are we bothered?

Quote Originally Posted by John_R_Corbett View Post
    Whittaker yes but then he was never the best defender, as far as the other two go, you're either drunk or more likely trolling. Stevenson is fine and Hanlon is excellent
    He'll never kick another baw for Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart93 View Post
    What do you mean Jane Park's comments and why are we bothered?

Link from a few posts up.

I actually stumbled across the article after being on a Sunderland forum. I was surprised that they had a thread on this but that it hadn't been mentioned on here, so put a link up.

No, we shouldn't be paying attention to what she says but when there is a story in a National newspaper about one of our fans suggesting she should pay up a player's contract then it may be worthy of discussion.

(For a bit of perspective, the Sunderland fans were speculating as to what it would take to get Jack Rodwell out of their club. He's taking home an estimated £70,000 a week from the club 3rd bottom of the Championship. He's played twice this season and it was been suggested that he isn't mentally up to playing football any more, he keeps suffering from questionable Friday injuries to avoid having to play in front of the Sunderland support. Nobody really knows where he is, what he is doing or why he is missing.

It's a long way from being skinned a couple of times by one of the best players in the league, playing for the best team in the country.)

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I really hope he’s carrying an injury as he looks done.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I really hope he’s carrying an injury as he looks done.
    He’s looked terrible from the moment he signed. There is no intensity to his play at all. He is just cruising about from week to week. Don’t think he’s put in a tackle all season. It’s going to be expensive but he need s to be moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    He’s looked terrible from the moment he signed. There is no intensity to his play at all. He is just cruising about from week to week. Don’t think he’s put in a tackle all season. It’s going to be expensive but he need s to be moved on.

4 months into a 3 year deal.
    Brutal.

There was an article recently where he said he had an ongoing injury he had had for months
    So clearly he hasn't been at his best
    Assume we must of thought it would clear up otherwise wouldn't of got a three year desl

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    If he’s injured we should have Porteous in there. There an argument for doing it anyway.

Like many players, he's fine when he had time on the ball but dreadful when put under pressure. His positioning has looked suspect for such a seasoned pro. Been a huge disappointment, given his pedigree and the level he is being asked to play at.

First Team Breakthrough

Yes looking more like a poor signing with every game

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Its a bit of a bugger, the players we pursued the most in close season - Stokes and Whitty - have proved to be a bit hot and cold, and are probably two of the highest earners.

Thats life, I suppose but almost wish we had bought a young hungry fullback instead.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    If he was even slightly injured what was wrong with drafting in Porteous?