hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Rome City Break

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar

Rome City Break

Looking at going to Rome for 3 days in January or February with her.

Any advice on good Hotels or areas to stay that won't break the bank?

2. Log in to remove the advert

We went posh, if you can stretch to it the Hotel Lord Byron is in a very nice part of the city overlooking the Villa Borghese(big park just north of the centre) and the food is amazing. The standard room walk up prices can be ridiculous but there's plenty of offers on booking.com and the like where you can get a 4 night stay for two for £400ish. We stuffed our faces at breakfast and didn't have to eat again till 4. It's worth it to get a bit of luxury, especially if you're with the missus, you won't be disappointed. The 'budget' hotels around the spanish steps aren't that much cheaper, you're paying for the location.

Winter is a great time to go, we went in December and had a great three days.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 08-12-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Park View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking at going to Rome for 3 days in January or February with her.

Any advice on good Hotels or areas to stay that won't break the bank?
    Try Hotel Capo d Africa. It’s really close to the colloseum. Staff are pretty friendly (unusual in Rome).

Left by mutual consent!
    Just back from 5 nights stayed in a hotel called "the building hotel" was around £100 per night which included breakfast. It was a 10 minute walk from the Termini station.

It was a nice hotel Colosseium was 30min walk Trevi maybe bit less. There is an underground station 5mins away and it goes to main places.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    We went posh, if you can stretch to it the Hotel Lord Byron is in a very nice part of the city overlooking the Villa Borghese(big park just north of the centre) and the food is amazing. The standard room walk up prices can be ridiculous but there's plenty of offers on booking.com and the like where you can get a 4 night stay for two for £400ish. We stuffed our faces at breakfast and didn't have to eat again till 4. It's worth it to get a bit of luxury, especially if you're with the missus, you won't be disappointed. The 'budget' hotels around the spanish steps aren't that much cheaper, you're paying for the location.

Winter is a great time to go, we went in December and had a great three days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Try Hotel Capo d Africa. It’s really close to the colloseum. Staff are pretty friendly (unusual in Rome).
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Just back from 5 nights stayed in a hotel called "the building hotel" was around £100 per night which included breakfast. It was a 10 minute walk from the Termini station.

It was a nice hotel Colosseium was 30min walk Trevi maybe bit less. There is an underground station 5mins away and it goes to main places.
    Thanks all, much appreciated

Flights not as cheap as I thought with Ryanair unless you want to travel without any bags at all. Didn't realise they'd stopped you taking a bag in the cabin.

I'll have a proper look at hotels next week whilst on work time

Left by mutual consent!
    Thanks all, much appreciated

Flights not as cheap as I thought with Ryanair unless you want to travel without any bags at all. Didn't realise they'd stopped you taking a bag in the cabin.

I'll have a proper look at hotels next week whilst on work time
    Stopped bags in cabin? We took bag in cabin in November.

I went in May this year, I stayed in the San Lorenzo district, it's essentially the student district, accommodation and restaurants are half the price of the rest of the historic centre despite being only a 10-15 min walk away, i ate out several times in the area and some places were absolutely top notch for a fraction of the price of the main area. If you want some recommendations about where to go I'm happy to oblige.
    It looks very run down, but so does most of Rome, there's a very very bohemian feel to the place and the youngsters gather around the main square in the area most night to share a beer or two and get the bongos/guitars out for a sing song. Personally I loved it though it may not be what everyone is after.

Fun fact: the beer of choice for young people in Rome is Tennents Double malt, or as you may know it- tennents super, no joke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Stopped bags in cabin? We took bag in cabin in November.
    I probably just read it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    I went in May this year, I stayed in the San Lorenzo district, it's essentially the student district, accommodation and restaurants are half the price of the rest of the historic centre despite being only a 10-15 min walk away, i ate out several times in the area and some places were absolutely top notch for a fraction of the price of the main area. If you want some recommendations about where to go I'm happy to oblige.
    It looks very run down, but so does most of Rome, there's a very very bohemian feel to the place and the youngsters gather around the main square in the area most night to share a beer or two and get the bongos/guitars out for a sing song. Personally I loved it though it may not be what everyone is after.

Fun fact: the beer of choice for young people in Rome is Tennents Double malt, or as you may know it- tennents super, no joke!!!
    Will have look as well

Won't be drinking the purple tin myself though

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    We went late Feb early March this year. Brilliant weather. Stayed in the Palladium near Termini Station. Accommodation fine for the price and a good breakfast selection. Brilliant city and not too busy that time of year. Roma Pass helps you jump many queues.

Will have look as well

Won't be drinking the purple tin myself though
    No problem, on side note I was absolutely overwhelmed by how nice and friendly and helpful the romans were. Even those that couldn't speak a word of English were willing to try and help us out, finding a bus, pointing us in the right direction etc. Folk from all walks of life just seemed to be super hospitable which is something I didn't expect in a city that is absolutely mobbed with tourists.

This place is very good and reasonably priced - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...o.html?m=19904

Blog Entries
    We stayed in a hotel near the main station. It was quite cheap and almost cheerful, but fine for the price. Great for main attractions. One word of warning ...... choose your eating places carefully. We were really disappointed with the quality of the restaurants we chose. Got the impression that a lot of the restaurants rested on the laurels of being in Italy’s capital and didn’t have to try too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    We stayed in a hotel near the main station. It was quite cheap and almost cheerful, but fine for the price. Great for main attractions. One word of warning ...... choose your eating places carefully. We were really disappointed with the quality of the restaurants we chose. Got the impression that a lot of the restaurants rested on the laurels of being in Italy’s capital and didn’t have to try too hard.
    Rome isn't famous for food, unlike most other Italian cities. Best to look at restaurant reviews before you rock up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    The good thing about the B&B I posted above is that the owner recommended a couple of restaurants we should try - one was just found the corner from the hotel. Full of locals every night, great food and inexpensive too. Ideal.

We went to one place for lunch that we just happened upon and the ravioli I had was no better than the Heinz stuff from a can!

Rome isn't famous for food, unlike most other Italian cities. Best to look at restaurant reviews before you rock up.
    Cacio e pepe, a la matriciana, porchetta and veal saltimbocca are all roman dishes I believe, so I'd have to disagree with you on that one.
    They also have their own distinct pizza style from Naples.

@hibs.net private member
    Surprised to read this. I used to live there and found Roman food as good as any.

The main proviso being not to eat at tourist restaurants but to go down side streets. Their bread is out of this world too.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Surprised to read this. I used to live there and found Roman food as good as any.

The main proviso being not to eat at tourist restaurants but to go down side streets. Their bread is out of this world too.
    The best meal I have ever eaten was in Rome, I hasten to add. But speak to most Italians and they're snotty about Roman food.