hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Niall McGinn

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone know if Niall McGinn takes free kicks and corners? We badly need improvement in this area. John McGinn is useless at them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Henderson isn’t.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Anyone know if Niall McGinn takes free kicks and corners? We badly need improvement in this area. John McGinn is useless at them.
    Used to take them for Aberdeen

Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Henderson isn’t.
    Henderson appears happy to sit in the stand at Celtic unfortunately.

@hibs.net private member Green Badger's Avatar
    Henderson appears happy to sit in the stand at Celtic unfortunately.
    That might change in January?

We did score from a Mcginn corner yesterday but I agree the floated ball he tries are a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Shore Hibs View Post
    That might change in January?
    18 months without any first team football at his age mean he is now an unknown quantity again. Just not sure if he has the desire. He should have been making it clear in the summer he needed to leave, instead of getting ready for another year watching Celtic.

IIRC he is a very good dead ball player, he plays in the same position as Barker but has an end product.

https://youtu.be/-4-KUeVsmhM?t=12

https://youtu.be/R46QtT-GJH4?t=12

https://youtu.be/eZcRVpfS8WA?t=26

https://youtu.be/M0RcGCVreV8?t=230

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    So according to the rumour mill, we might lose a McGinn and gain a McGinn in January?

If there's no overlap new McGinn could inherit Super John McGinn's shirt number, so anyone with a replica shirt can still wear it with pride.

FWIW I would love SJM to stay longer.

@hibs.net private member LEaston87's Avatar
    Fontaine is our biggest threat from a corner., hence why we've took so many short corners recently. The players deserve credit for scoring that first goal from a set piece, but the rest of our set pieces were a waste today. We've not had a proper dead ball taker since Keatings

Testimonial Due Edinburgh Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LEaston87 View Post
    Fontaine is our biggest threat from a corner., hence why we've took so many short corners recently. The players deserve credit for scoring that first goal from a set piece, but the rest of our set pieces were a waste today. We've not had a proper dead ball taker since Keatings
    I’ve always thought Fontaine was rotten at corners. He always seems to head it over the bar when he connects. In recent years our best threats at corners are/were Porteous and Forster.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    This'll be a real test of whether or not Hearts truly have money after building their super stand. I suspect both of us will offer him near the top of our payscale.

Fontaine does seem to get in good positions in the box but as another poster said always seems to miss from about 6 yards out. He has only scored 11 goals in 436 career appearances so I would not say he is a particularly big miss when it comes to danger from set pieces.

As a comparison McGregor has scored 23 in 338 appearances, Hanlon has 19 in 328 and Porteuos already has 5 in 31 appearances.

@hibs.net private member hibees 7062's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    So according to the rumour mill, we might lose a McGinn and gain a McGinn in January?

If there's no overlap new McGinn could inherit Super John McGinn's shirt number, so anyone with a replica shirt can still wear it with pride.

FWIW I would love SJM to stay longer.
    We could sign him now . He's a free agent

18 months without any first team football at his age mean he is now an unknown quantity again. Just not sure if he has the desire. He should have been making it clear in the summer he needed to leave, instead of getting ready for another year watching Celtic.

Incorrect he wanted hibs move but hibs only wanted him if Mcginn was leaving

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!

He's 21 years old, has played over 80 games for Celtic, Hibs and Rosenborg and is a current Scotland under 21 international

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    He's 21 years old, has played over 80 games for Celtic, Hibs and Rosenborg and is a current Scotland under 21 international
    Don’t get me wrong, I rate him and want us to sign him. I just have more reservations now than I did in the summer. With his talent he should have a lot more than 80 games under his belt.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibees 7062 View Post
    We could sign him now . He's a free agent
    We can sign a player whenever we want, we can't register him until January however.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LEaston87 View Post
    Fontaine has scored from about 2 corners in 3 years. Excellent defender but rank rotten up the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephant Stone View Post
    We've tried to get him in two transfer windows and each time Celtc were their usual awkward and bloody minded selves, content to see a talented young player rot in the stands rather than letting them go and play elsewhere. Henderson has been horribly mismanaged by Celtc IMHO and has no future at Parkhead with his contract up in the summer.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    He’s a young winger, flashes of brilliance is exactly what we’re going to get.
    I agree that as a young winger he's going to be inconsistent. I think if we're going to challenge for second we should be prepared to sub him a little quicker when it's obvious it's not going to be his day. Yesterday he was getting forward but there was all too often no useful end product unfortunately. He was either heading into a crowd of people or holding on to the ball too long.

If he was our player I'd say fair enough as we need to develop him, a bit like we are with Shaw, but there's every chance we may not see him again after this season so we need to look after our own interests. If we get the chance to get a strong left winger, be it McGinn or someone else, I'd take it and use Barker as a sub or rotational player.

Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    I agree that as a young winger he's going to be inconsistent. I think if we're going to challenge for second we should be prepared to sub him a little quicker when it's obvious it's not going to be his day. Yesterday he was getting forward but there was all too often no useful end product unfortunately. He was either heading into a crowd of people or holding on to the ball too long.

If he was our player I'd say fair enough as we need to develop him, a bit like we are with Shaw, but there's every chance we may not see him again after this season so we need to look after our own interests. If we get the chance to get a strong left winger, be it McGinn or someone else, I'd take it and use Barker as a sub or rotational player.
    100% agree. Good cover but if we can get McGinn we have to take him.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    We can sign a player whenever we want, we can't register him until January however.
    I would make the offer to sign him now, put him up in a nice wee flat and make him feel welcome. Unless he's getting paid off from the South Koreans and it will effect that.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Let's hope we get Niall.

If for no other reason than to annoy the Jumbos

Is mcginn more an out and out winger, or able to play on left of a midfield four?

Left by mutual consent!
    Sure he's more of a Riordan/Stokes type. Maybe with a bit more defensive graft.

@hibs.net private member TrinityHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edinburgh Green View Post
    I’ve always thought Fontaine was rotten at corners. He always seems to head it over the bar when he connects. In recent years our best threats at corners are/were Porteous and Forster.
    I am pretty sure Sir David Gray and Stokesie offered an occasional threat at corners.

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post

I think everyone expects inconsistency with a winger.

Bigger concern for me is the lack of end product, let alone goals.

He can beat folk for fun on his game but with very limited end product what's the point?

Far too often when he does go past people the final ball isn't even played into good areas or is overhit, if the balls were giving the strikers a chance I would settle for that, let alone setting up goals.

I am not in the send back to Manchester camp yet as he has potential but for the good of his own career he needs to start delivering.

Football is littered with next great things overtaken and left far behind their peers and succeeding age groups

Elephant Stone
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Sure he's more of a Riordan/Stokes type. Maybe with a bit more defensive graft.
    Very similar to Riordan I reckon

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Barker's only going to get better as the season goes on. Still young and learning the game and has shown pace and ability.

Much like Boyler his end product and awareness will develop and, neck on the line here, by the 'crunch' part of the season I'm going to predict well have seen more assists and some goals to boot.

Two assists so far I think? Hearts and Hamilton?

Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    Jonny hayes on the right and niall mcginn on the left i thought
    Nope, other way round.