hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Draw

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same as every tournament, rooting for England, ripping the pish on here for Scotland not being there. Seeing England fail once again and taking banter on here as soon as England are out. Nowt changes.
    You might be surprised, I think they will do pretty well.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    The whole England media hype thing is overplayed nowadays, bar the odd commentator/pundit (Clive Tyldsley, Glenn Hoddle) and given how much we ridicule the Scottish media for their OF coverage, we can't really expect better from the English redtops, can we?

I think the coverage is more measured nowadays, but also, even if it is patriotic I mind it less. I've liked Arsenal since the early 80s when I first got taken to see them, so when Campbell and Cole for example, were regulars, it was hard not to hope they did well individually, if not as a team.

There's been other players over the years who I wouldn't wish not to succeed - I never bought into the Beckham hatred and I always enjoyed seeing Beardsley and Barnes play. Hargreaves was another player who was good but had to overcome massive criticism before proving his doubters wrong in 2006 and I'm glad he did, and Scholes was always worth watching.

Also find it hard not to like Sturridge when he's playing well and Welbeck too. Similarly, it was difficult not to like Peter Crouch.

I think it's all too easy to slip into the ABE mentality. They will be lucky to get beyond the Round of 16 and I can't see how they get through the QFs but they aren't that bad a team.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    I'll be rooting for ever team that play England .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    You might be surprised, I think they will do pretty well.
    What is a good performance for England? Quarter finals?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    The whole England media hype thing is overplayed nowadays, bar the odd commentator/pundit (Clive Tyldsley, Glenn Hoddle) and given how much we ridicule the Scottish media for their OF coverage, we can't really expect better from the English redtops, can we?

I think the coverage is more measured nowadays, but also, even if it is patriotic I mind it less. I've liked Arsenal since the early 80s when I first got taken to see them, so when Campbell and Cole for example, were regulars, it was hard not to hope they did well individually, if not as a team.

There's been other players over the years who I wouldn't wish not to succeed - I never bought into the Beckham hatred and I always enjoyed seeing Beardsley and Barnes play. Hargreaves was another player who was good but had to overcome massive criticism before proving his doubters wrong in 2006 and I'm glad he did, and Scholes was always worth watching.

Also find it hard not to like Sturridge when he's playing well and Welbeck too. Similarly, it was difficult not to like Peter Crouch.

I think it's all too easy to slip into the ABE mentality. They will be lucky to get beyond the Round of 16 and I can't see how they get through the QFs but they aren't that bad a team.
    You have to be kidding about Crouch. His presence on the field turned every match into a game of hoofball. You might as well watch the Hearts.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    What is a good performance for England? Quarter finals?
    That's perfect IMO. Out on penalties in the QF's

England will get to quarter finals at best. Over inflated opinion of themselves because they have the richest league in the world. But all the superstars of the English league are foreign.

And generally, premier league players do not produce in major tournaments because they’ve had such a demanding season in comparison to their opponents.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    England will get to quarter finals at best. Over inflated opinion of themselves because they have the richest league in the world. But all the superstars of the English league are foreign.

And generally, premier league players do not produce in major tournaments because they’ve had such a demanding season in comparison to their opponents.
    I think you will struggle to find an England supporter that has an overinflated opinion of how good the national team is. In fact I would say that statement is total nonsense and indicative of a perception shared by non England supporters.

I think you will struggle to find an England supporter that has an overinflated opinion of how good the national team is. In fact I would say that statement is total nonsense and indicative of a perception shared by non England supporters.
    Some of the commentators and pundits sound like England supporters though. And they are the worst for setting it up for an almighty fall

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Some of the commentators and pundits sound like England supporters though. And they are the worst for setting it up for an almighty fall
    They're just doing a job, I can never understand how people can get so wound up by commentary and pundits.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I agree, it’s taken a while for the fact to hit home that England aren’t a major player on the world scene anymore. I think that will work in England’s favour not having that much expectation on their shoulders. They’re an upper second tier team that could do well if they get a decent draw after the group stages, but the winners will come from Germany, Spain, Brazil or Argentina.

United we stand here....

They're just doing a job, I can never understand how people can get so wound up by commentary and pundits.
    I don't get wound up by them when England are playing at a tournament. Far from it

Steve Mclaren's masterclass v Iceland last year is just comedy gold

I don't get wound up by them when England are playing at a tournament. Far from it

Steve Mclaren's masterclass v Iceland last year is just comedy gold
    I try to ignore second rate celebrities who talk about Iceland and Farmfoods and certainly don't find them to be comedy gold.

That’s why the Gaelic channel is the best. You can’t understand a word of the Tom Kyte they are talking.

I try to ignore second rate celebrities who talk about Iceland and Farmfoods and certainly don't find them to be comedy gold.
    You were in the States at the time IIRC Scouse so just in case you missed it

https://youtu.be/XaW1hqqyEhw

This clip sums up what I'm on about. Dismissing the opposition and talking up England despite very little evidence of good play. Arrogance and delusion both getting a simultaneous pounding

The fact it's an ex-England manager doing it is of course extra funny but it also highlights a major problem for you- you've got very few options in that department. 25 years since an English manager won the top flight? I doubt there's many other top leagues in world football where that's the case

You were in the States at the time IIRC Scouse so just in case you missed it

https://youtu.be/XaW1hqqyEhw

This clip sums up what I'm on about. Dismissing the opposition and talking up England despite very little evidence of good play. Arrogance and delusion both getting a simultaneous pounding

The fact it's an ex-England manager doing it is of course extra funny but it also highlights a major problem for you- you've got very few options in that department. 25 years since an English manager won the top flight? I doubt there's many other top leagues in world football where that's the case
    😂 Cheers. The first time I have seen that, yeah was in tbe States at the time. Good memory you have!

England should qualify from that group. Hopefully another last 16 heartache lies in store.

😂 Cheers. The first time I have seen that, yeah was in tbe States at the time. Good memory you have!
    How many sleeps till WC18? I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    England should qualify from that group. Hopefully another last 16 heartache lies in store.
    Shoosh that's aiming too low. If they reach the quarters we'll get a few more Shteve-esque moments of comedy masterclass

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Shanner of a draw. Fancy Morocco to qualify from the groups at least.
    With all the Real, Barca and Ronaldo fans there, it’s be a nice change to see people having their own side to glory hunt for. Tough group but can see Portugal and Spain not as strong as before.

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    You have to be kidding about Crouch. His presence on the field turned every match into a game of hoofball. You might as well watch the Hearts.
    Crouch might have been tall but he had/has a very, very good first touch and doesn't lack technique. His ability to play on the deck was far overlooked because of his stature IMO.

Some managers may have played to his height but he had far more in his repertoire than that. The telling for me is in international football, where his record is pretty impressive. He scored lots of headers but he was hardly a hoofball player - despite his height, he is a slender player, and it was more about positioning and placement rather than physique and force
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think they will. They've some good young players and, of course, Harry Kane.
    What's more, expectations on them are not as great as they once were.

Left by mutual consent!
    As much as England could be papped out they could win it too. Raheem or Deli away from winning it in fact.

As much as England could be papped out they could win it too. Raheem or Deli away from winning it in fact.
    It’s not going to happen. It’s like the champions league. There’s only going to be a very few possible winners and England aren’t one of them. 1990 was England’s last big chance. Since then the same few teams have shared it amongst them. Spain are the only team to have muscled their way in to things.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    It’s not going to happen. It’s like the champions league. There’s only going to be a very few possible winners and England aren’t one of them. 1990 was England’s last big chance. Since then the same few teams have shared it amongst them. Spain are the only team to have muscled their way in to things.
    Arguably France when they hosted too.

i sort of agree with you. Post-Italia 90, five teams have won but only seven have contested the finals.

Then again, dominance isn’t new. West Germany played in five out of seven finals between 1966 and 1990. And Brazil won three out of four attempts, Eusébio and then a very competent Hungary side stopping them in 1966.

Arguably France when they hosted too.

i sort of agree with you. Post-Italia 90, five teams have won but only seven have contested the finals.

Then again, dominance isn’t new. West Germany played in five out of seven finals between 1966 and 1990. And Brazil won three out of four attempts, Eusébio and then a very competent Hungary side stopping them in 1966.
    That’s true, I had forgotten about France. With the Italians missing this time, they are probably the best outside bet. I’d love to see the Belgians finally come good in a major championship.

United we stand here....

Stupidest thing i have seen online all day!

Portugal are european champions and Russia are the hosts.

Russia and Portugal are nowhere near Belgium.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Belgium are a bloody good side by any comparison:

Kevin de Bruyne, Eden Hazard, Romalu Lukaku, Thibaut Curtois, Toby Aldereireld, Jan Vertonghen, Thomas Vermaelen, etc., etc. That's before starting on the likes of Christian Benteke, Dries Mertens, Moussa Dembele, and Marouane Fellani.

I am not a great fan of international football either, but that team has to be worth watching.

Edit:

I missed out the best defender in Europe from the above list in Vincent Kompany. He has been injured for so long I am not confident that he will be fit to play.
    Best defender in Europe?? He's not even the best Belgian defender!

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by scouse hibby View Post
    who did scotland get?
    usa

Crouch might have been tall but he had/has a very, very good first touch and doesn't lack technique. His ability to play on the deck was far overlooked because of his stature IMO.

Some managers may have played to his height but he had far more in his repertoire than that. The telling for me is in international football, where his record is pretty impressive. He scored lots of headers but he was hardly a hoofball player - despite his height, he is a slender player, and it was more about positioning and placement rather than physique and force
    I agree he was skillful player but, as you say, his height led some managers to play a very dull game to take advantage. To little effect on the outcome, I think.