hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: World Cup Draw

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best defender in Europe?? He's not even the best Belgian defender!
    It’s another question for Scotland as to why belgium ( a small country of 11m) do so well.

With Iceland, I think the message was the number of well qualified couches in the game from primary school up generating good teams.

What’s the story with Belgium?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    It’s another question for Scotland as to why belgium ( a small country of 11m) do so well.

With Iceland, I think the message was the number of well qualified couches in the game from primary school up generating good teams.

What’s the story with Belgium?
    I think luck has to have a big part in it. Eden Hazard came through the youth team ranks at Lille so he's a product of the French system rather than the Belgian. And Dries Mertens was a late bloomer, was playing parttime in his homeland when he was 22 and only turning world class when he went to Napoli. As far as I know they haven't had a big national funding programme like Iceland.

A few observations after 5 pages:

What's the problem with English pundits and commentators acting like fans? ... they are English, they should be biased towards them.

Even with Belgium in their group England should qualify easily in at least 2nd place ... Failure to do so would be a disgrace.

Not wanting England to do well is part of a football rivalry built up over nearly 150 years ... though I don't have a problem with folk who buck that trend if they want to. But saying we should support them because we have fought wars together against half the teams in the tournament is just barmy.

I'm already missing the Italians

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

What's the problem with English pundits and commentators acting like fans? ... they are English, they should be biased towards them.

Even with Belgium in their group England should qualify easily in at least 2nd place ... Failure to do so would be a disgrace.

Not wanting England to do well is part of a football rivalry built up over nearly 150 years ... though I don't have a problem with folk who buck that trend if they want to. But saying we should support them because we have fought wars together against half the teams in the tournament is just barmy.

Nothing wrong with it all IMO. It's usually provides good entertainment sooner or later

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I agree he was skillful player but, as you say, his height led some managers to play a very dull game to take advantage. To little effect on the outcome, I think.
    Remember Peter Crouch being asked what he would be if not a footballer and he said "a virgin". Considering who his wife is, he's doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post

The problem is they work for the BBC and even when other home nations are at the tournament England get far more coverage than the other nations. FFS a drop in to the England training camp is often the top story on the national news.