hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Radio/Podcast recommendations

Im going to be spending a lot of time doing work on a house and garden this winter and I'm after recommendations of good podcasts. Any subject.

Things I've been listening to recently include Totally Football Show on Spotify. James Richardson is my favourite pundit, he's just left the guardian pod and this ones good. Every Monday and Thursday, some really good contributions on European football.

I like military history, and The Peoples D Day is really good in iplayer. Stories from historians and civilians about the build up to Normandy. The other history one on iplayer which is fantastic is A History of the World in 100 Objects. It's like walking round the British museum in audio.

Recommendations please
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 29-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Football:

The Football Ramble

On the Continent

Comedy:

Elis James & John Robins on Radio X
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Wide-o eh?

Also a word for Alex Krotosky's podcast The Digital Human, about all things tech with a philosophy spin.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Athletico Mince is brilliant, though would only recommend it if you're a fan of Bob Mortimer.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    If you've never listened to Serial, then it's definitely worth a listen. 2 series. Like 'Making A Murderer' in podcast form.

Freakenomics can be good, depends if the subject they're talking about that episode interests you.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Athletico Mince is brilliant, though would only recommend it if you're a fan of Bob Mortimer.
    Bob's really funny, I'll check it out

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    In Our Time from the BBC

There are several hundred episodes so you can pick the ones you want, and there are certainly a good few relating to military history. Each one is essentially three of the leading academics in their field dissecting a topic. Melvyn Bragg is on hand to make sure they are properly explaining it and making it accessible and meaningful.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    In Our Time from the BBC

There are several hundred episodes so you can pick the ones you want, and there are certainly a good few relating to military history. Each one is essentially three of the leading academics in their field dissecting a topic. Melvyn Bragg is on hand to make sure they are properly explaining it and making it accessible and meaningful.
    Yep, good shout. I listen to that from time to time. Melvyn has a nice way of getting impatient with the academics when they descend into waffling.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Yep, good shout. I listen to that from time to time. Melvyn has a nice way of getting impatient with the academics when they descend into waffling.

He certainly does. I also like his rapid introduction, quickly mentions who is on the show and then straight in.

I've let slip the habit of listening to them, need to get back into it - it's one of the jewels in the BBC Radio crown.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Stuff You Should Know Podcast is great. Just dissects anything and everything each episode in a casual and usually humorous way. Science, history, sociology, media, art, industry, travel, politics...honestly, anything and everything.

@hibs.net private member
    I recently started listening to Flintoff, Savage and ping pong man. Pretty good.

Joe Rogan Experience is absolutely brilliant.

If your into stories about true crimes. I recently discovered one called true crime garage. Always a good listen in my opinion. https://www.truecrimegarage.com

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I've been listening to Blindboy Boatclub from the Rubberbandits new podcast. Six episodes so far, and consists of general musings, with the first three featuring short story recitals from his newly released debut book. He's a smart guy and I've enjoyed the podcasts a lot.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/...300577518?mt=2

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Infinite Monkey Cage from the BBC, with Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince.

Focus on scientific topics, but approached with the assumption that the audience doesn't know much about the science.

Very much a light-hearted comedic look at serious topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post
    I'd recommend the Infinite Monkey Cage from the BBC, with Prof Brian Cox and Robin Ince.

Focus on scientific topics, but approached with the assumption that the audience doesn't know much about the science.

Have to agree.

I've heard this show a few times, usually accidentally and it is good value.

It still takes me a long time to get my head around the fact that the guy talking is a professor of particle physics, yet wrote "Things Can Only Get Better"", a Nineties club classic.

Half-six on Radio 4 is always worth checking out. It tends to be a half-hour comedy slot, just before they play The Archers. The highlight is I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue . I like to think it predicted the Calendar Thread but it tends to better than what we produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan91 View Post

I didn't enjoy it at all, personally. Some great knowledge but the humour was forced and uncomfortable. Maybe I just find Brian Cox irritating (not the Dundonian Brian Cox, hed be great at the same gig)

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Had a listen - absolute drivel. Duly subscribed and ploughing through the episodes

Alexei Sayles Imaginary Sandwich Bar

Im loving it, the only problem is I keep bursting out laughing in public places.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Im loving it, the only problem is I keep bursting out laughing in public places.
    I put them on in the car, some of the stuff has me in stitches but at least when I'm laughing out loud it's just me there!
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I've been listening to "Mark Steel's In Town" for some time - it's a neat idea for his show
    (you probably all know him!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09h3rc9

Quote Originally Posted by PeeJay View Post
    I've been listening to "Mark Steel's In Town" for some time - it's a neat idea for his show

A bit like "The Infinite Monkey Cage", I've accidentally heard this, usually hoping I would get "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue"

Credit to Mark Steel, he's a likable presenter and he very much does his research on the home town. His radio work is reminiscent of stuff like The Mary Whitehouse Experiience, very well-prepared and humorous.

When people doubt the licence fee, this is what makes me think they're wrong.

A bit like "The Infinite Monkey Cage", I've accidentally heard this, usually hoping I would get "I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue"

Credit to Mark Steel, he's a likable presenter and he very much does his research on the home town. His radio work is reminiscent of stuff like The Mary Whitehouse Experiience, very well-prepared and humorous.

When people doubt the licence fee, this is what makes me think they're wrong.
    The Beeb's Internet site (radio) is of outstanding quality (generally) and as I live in Germany and don't pay any licence fee, I would urge you all back home to keep doing so ...

I saw him in the festival. A mix of furious left wing politics and poignant and very funny stuff about the divorce he's going through.

The Beeb's Internet site (radio) is of outstanding quality (generally) and as I live in Germany and don't pay any licence fee, I would urge you all back home to keep doing so ...

It's a really good site - I tend to use it more for Radio 3 than anything else, though I went through a long phase of listening to the World Service pre-internet days.
    Definitely worth cherishing, and the range and variety demonstrate what public service broadcasting can and should be about.

It's a really good site - I tend to use it more for Radio 3 than anything else, though I went through a long phase of listening to the World Service pre-internet days.
    Definitely worth cherishing, and the range and variety demonstrate what public service broadcasting can and should be about.
    Yeah -top at catering for many tastes - I've even become a huge fan of long-since-departed Tony Hancock over the years because of all his podcasts on the Beeb - also listen a great deal to many of the audio plays from classics to science fiction and stuff in between - enjoy Desert Island Discs, Just a Minute, Any Questions and the Today/PM news shows - listened a lot to Radio 3, used to really like a program Discovering Music`', which explains the reasoning behind many classical pieces - hope it will all still be available to us Europeans (sic) when (if) Brexit comes to pass ..

I've just found a good one for military history, from Dunkirk to D day, on the iplayer. Felt quite inspired listening to it.

I have lots of these.

Wittertainment! Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's film program on 5 live, with added bits at the start and end. It doesn't matter if you go to the cinema regularly or not, it's oddly addictive.

I'll second a vote for the infinite monkey cage, though I'd agree sometimes the humour is sometimes a little forced, it's at its best when it focus is on the interesting sciency bits.
    Also I'd add inside science, from radio 4. It's a good listen, even if you don't know much about science.
    And The cases of Rutherford and fry, which is a more light hearted.

I'd reccomend this one,
    https://www.attaboyclarence.com/the-...-of-hollywood/

It's about the early Hollywood era, and some of the stories of the people behind the scenes are more gripping than the best film. Also the presenter's voice is amazing. They're long listens, but worth it.

Not strictly a podcast, but these guys are good if you're into military history/WW1. (I tend to just listen when I'm working)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUc...PEDf69RRVhRh4A
    Basically they go through what happened 100 years ago this week. Lots of really good info about the war, especially beyond the standard western front/trenches etc.