hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Monday night Fitba - James Collins

Scott is joined by*Mark Smith*and Sam Meechan to discuss*the weekend's action. They are also joined by former Hibs and current Luton Town striker James Collins to talk about his time at Easter Road.
    You can listen to the show live every Monday at 6:30pm on Radio Saltire at*www.radiosaltire.org
    A full archive of all past shows and interviews can be found at*http://mondaynightfitba.podbean.com/
    Tweet the show @MNFitba or email*fitba@radiosaltire.org

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/monday-night-fitba/id930261805?mt=2#episodeGuid=mondaynightfitba.podb ean.com%2Fmnf-james-collins-hearts-0-0-ross-county-hamilton-1-1-hibs-24b00f90dd1700f333f1ee8f1a4eedd1

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ooft.

Not my favourite player to play for Hibs, not by a long stretch, but he played for Hibs at a very difficult and interesting time.

If he is open and lifts the lid on a lot of what happened this could be very interesting indeed.

Collins is a player who has done well and scored goals elsewhere, and the question can legitimately be asked whether or not he'd have done better in the stronger, more creative teams that followed on from the one he played in. The side that Collins played in must have been the most difficult one for any Hibs striker to play in, as the squad that Fenlon put together that year was by a long way the least creative Hibs side I've ever seen, and hope I'm ever likely to see.

Collins really was pretty pish for us, but it will be interesting to hear his side of the story.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I have no issue with him and think if he had not been here in the Butcher era he'd have done well. Could be interesting.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I didnt rate him as an individual and his behaviour after leaving us at other clubs hasn't done anything to change my opinion. As a footballer though I think he most definitely had "something" what it was I'm not so sure but I do think the guy would have banged them in in the Championship under Stubbs cause of his physical presence which we sometimes lacked. But who knows.

If there was ever a player to prove English football is overated it's him, paid decent money for him, he scored goals down there before and after he left, in league's that are claimed to be on a par, or better than the SPL.

Also, his actions at the racing.

Il never forget when he had a tap-in to win the derby and booted the keeper in the balls instead.....

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ooft.

Not my favourite player to play for Hibs, not by a long stretch, but he played for Hibs at a very difficult and interesting time.

If he is open and lifts the lid on a lot of what happened this could be very interesting indeed.

Collins is a player who has done well and scored goals elsewhere, and the question can legitimately be asked whether or not he'd have done better in the stronger, more creative teams that followed on from the one he played in. The side that Collins played in must have been the most difficult one for any Hibs striker to play in, as the squad that Fenlon put together that year was by a long way the least creative Hibs side I've ever seen, and hope I'm ever likely to see.

Collins really was pretty pish for us, but it will be interesting to hear his side of the story.
    I'd agree with this.

He did miss some absolute shockers though that gives people the ammunition for saying he was a donkey.

Certainly wasn't in the top 5 maybe 10 worst strikers we've had since I've been going from around 1993 imo

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Collins is an abysmal footballer and a bellend of a man.

@hibs.net private member essexhibee's Avatar
    Living proof that people saying english lower leagues are far greater than the SPL is complete tosh.

And I can also confirm this having seen numerous league 1 games this season for Southend.
    ​​
    Scottish Cup Winners 2016 - The Immortals

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I have no issue with him and think if he had not been here in the Butcher era he'd have done well. Could be interesting.
    Agree, definitely not one of the worst no matter how you look at it. Good derby goal too.

Never realised he was a baldy through choice.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Simon Murray has matched Collins' 6 league goals in just 15 games (13 starts), compared to Collins' 36 games (27 starts). Stokes is 1 short in 11 games (9 starts). Boyle is 2 behind after 12 games (12 starts)

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I didnt rate him as an individual and his behaviour after leaving us at other clubs hasn't done anything to change my opinion. As a footballer though I think he most definitely had "something" what it was I'm not so sure but I do think the guy would have banged them in in the Championship under Stubbs cause of his physical presence which we sometimes lacked. But who knows.
    What had he done previously as an individual that made you not rate him ?

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I'm kind of the opposite in that I didn't realise he was a bit of a t0sser until after he was at us, but never thought he looked like a footballer the whole time he was with us. (admittedly, as noted above, he seems to very much do the business elsewhere).

I actually thought that's why some persisted in blaming everyone but himself for his performances, because he appeared to be an honest worker and decent guy.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Collins was utter pish. Anyone saying he might have done well in a different Hibs side clearly don’t know a a huddy when they see one.

Just another in a long line of absolute journeymen nobodies who were signed in the years leading up to relegation.

Thankfully those types of signings seem to be a thing of the past and there is some thought behind the recruitment now.
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

He was utter garbage.

Left by mutual consent!
    How the hell did he miss that chance in the derby we won 2-1? Had us minus 1. Raging he hit it wide.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    A poor player who actually cost us a decent fee too.

Which other teams we've had over the years would he have got a starting place in, not that many imo, and all would be poor teams.

He can piss quite well into a pint pot though, classy guy.

Did less in the box in 40 days than David Blayne.

Useless. I could have scored more.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Simon Murray has matched Collins' 6 league goals in just 15 games (13 starts), compared to Collins' 36 games (27 starts). Stokes is 1 short in 11 games (9 starts). Boyle is 2 behind after 12 games (12 starts)
    How many goals do you think Murray or Stokes would have if they'd been partnered with Rowan Vine up front, or if he wasn't around Danny Handling, Ross Caldwell or Paul Heffernan?

Fenlon had Alex Harris and Paul Cairnie to play wide and create, both of whom were injured for many months at the start of that season.

He was forced to shoehorn Liam Craig into an entirely unsuitable position in an attempt to create.

We had about 45 holding midfielders, none of whom could create.

This generally led to Collins running around all over the place like a headless chicken, the ball bouncing off him everywhere.

He missed some big chances but no more than most of our strikers and he managed to take a few of the ones that came his way.

Collins was pish but it couldn't have been easy to play in that team.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    A poor player who actually cost us a decent fee too.

Which other teams we've had over the years would he have got a starting place in, not that many imo, and all would be poor teams.

He can piss quite well into a pint pot though, classy guy.

Didn't we get a fee for him when he left too? Or am I imagining that?

Agree though, he was poor.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Didn't we get a fee for him when he left too? Or am I imagining that?

Agree though, he was poor.

Absolute dug***** in a dug***** team.

Dunno any of the stuff about him as a bloke but I mind being excited at the signing - £200k?

Looked like he gave his all for us but just nothing went his way. One of them things. State of the team didnt help.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Awful team and a very poor signing. He was rank; we're talking Rowan Vine levels of rank.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Plenty people saying he's cheap but if in January we were linking at a player from league 1/2 that's been top scorer for the different sides he's played for down there we wouldn't be grumbling too much.

He might not have played well for us but there's clearly a footballer there if he's scoring goals elsewhere imo

We would have been better signing Joan Collins.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post

Well that's something.

There's a history in football of strikers who're prolific up to a certain level but can't cope when they come up against a higher standard of defender. Collins is in that category. He's been promoted three times from English league 2, but always ends up back there.

Other examples of the type are Kris Boyd who Rangers tended to drop when against Celtic or in Europe, or Jordan Rhodes who's been successful in the English Championship but bombed when he finally got a premier opportunity with Middlesborough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Forgot about Paul Heffernan. Mince times.

Has there ever been a player with more "if, buts and maybes"? Heard so many times "oh if he had more service he'd have been better, if he played in a better team he'd have been good, if he played under a better manager he'd have been better etc etc".

He was pish. Can't get my head round why so many excuses are made for him yet others who fail get totally slated.

Rated him highly. One that got away.