hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madsen5 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So was I amazing night.
    The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get u and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southsider View Post
    The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get u and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.
    Nice wee story mate

@hibs.net private member
    One of Hibs classic European nights, there were quite a few of them over the years. Duncan's goal lit the fuse for a memorable night which will live long in the memory of those who were there.
    Can remember their legendary goalkeeper, Dino Zoff, saying in the press the next day, that the noise generated by the ER crowd had affected their players.
    A wonderful night to be a Hibee.

What a night

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    One of Hibs classic European nights, there were quite a few of them over the years. Duncan's goal lit the fuse for a memorable night which will live long in the memory of those who were there.
    Can remember their legendary goalkeeper, Dino Zoff, saying in the press the next day, that the noise generated by the ER crowd had affected their players.
    A wonderful night to be a Hibee.
    I was due to go to the game with my dad but he was running late so my mum decided to take me, she had never been too a game before or since, when we arrived at the main stand she was amazed at the prices and said to the guy on the turnstile that she was only there because my dad was running late, the good auld chap let her in for nixyky, I can only remember Bobby Duncan's goal from 80yrds, I also broke my rattle that night due to incessant rattling, only 9yrs old but happy days.

One of the classic games in Hibs history, this was a very good Hibs side and they were just fantastic that night. My dad had stopped going to the football regularly but he always went on the big European nights. One of my Sisters came along that night too. I was 11 and a half years old and it was just magic !!

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I was there with my Dad and brothers. It was one of the greatest ever nights at ER and all the more amazing that we put 5 past one of the most famous goalkeepers ever to grace the game. Like other posters, Bobby Duncan’s goal is etched on my memory.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Beautiful post.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post

The tie against AEK Athens in 2001 was also a memorable match but I doubt if we'll be lucky enough to see anything similar in the foreseeable future.
    Your right, those days are gone now & it's doubtful if they will ever return.

Its only when you read these threads that you realise the average age of .net posters is 60.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    Its only when you read these threads that you realise the average age of .net posters is 60.
    And over

The highlights were on TV that night. I was 8 and asked my dad when he got in from the game what the score was.Want to get up and watch it ? And I got some chips. 50 years ago but great memory of my dad.
    You never know the things your kids remember but that's a brilliant memory

Any BBC highlights?

Blog Entries
    Apart from the Bobby D goal kicking things off,for me the most important moment was Pat Quinn's goal on the stroke of half time. That gave us the belief & momentum to destroy them down the slope in the 2nd half. A few weeks earlier Wee Pat had scored a hat trick at PBS, having not scored for 2 years before that. His next goal was against Napoli, some sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I was there with my Dad and brothers. It was one of the greatest ever nights at ER and all the more amazing that we put 5 past one of the most famous goalkeepers ever to grace the game. Like other posters, Bobby Duncan’s goal is etched on my memory.
    That`s so true about the goal, but I think I always thought it was his right foot he hit it with. We were at the lower part of the big terracing near the cave end and I have my view etched in my mind ( apart from getting the foot he hit it with wrong ) depending where you were in the ground, people will have different pictures in their mind`s eye.

I watched SDG`s famous goal from the north stand and watching live from there that view was etched in my mind. Now though, having watched it on you tube about 17 billion times when I think of the goal I think I now have the telly view in my mind . None of that with Bobby`s goal - one look and that was it !

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Apart from the Bobby D goal kicking things off,for me the most important moment was Pat Quinn's goal on the stroke of half time. That gave us the belief & momentum to destroy them down the slope in the 2nd half. A few weeks earlier Wee Pat had scored a hat trick at PBS, having not scored for 2 years before that. His next goal was against Napoli, some sequence.
    Spot on, B.

Of all the games I've watched over all the years I've watched them, the Napoli game is in my top five
    This is how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I was 9 years old. My dad took me. Think it was my first European game. It’s certainly the first one I have a memory of. Standing up on the high part of the East terracing, the large crowd, the floodlights, that’s as much as I can recall if I’m honest.

Didn’t realise the significance of the result at the time other than the fact ‘we had won’ on aggregate. Now though, the 1-4 turnaround plus the scoring of 5 goals past one of the greatest keepers of all time means so much.

Question has probably been asked before but is there any video of the game known to exist?
    I was 8 and like you, I was up in the top of the East...in my school shorts (freezing cold)

Was 10 and not allowed to go. My dad had no interest whatsoever in football - lot of long "haired p**** kissing each other". Which made it all the more shocking, when he woke me up at 10.30pm and said you better come through and see this.

Having been whipped 4-1 away, thought it was just my dad wanting me to watch Hibs get another humping from the Italian giants. Sat there fearing the worst but watched in stunned wonder as Hibs tore Napoli to shreds. Will never, ever forget that Bobby Duncan goal.

Think my old man was also secretly impressed by Hibs that night ... but still a bunch of p*****.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Pleased to say that I was there.
    Me too, whole family was there, parents and brothers I was youngest at 10

Was there I was in the tv gantry as the standard guys felt sorry for me as I was a small 6 year old
    When Bobby Duncan scored I nearly knocked over the tv camera. I was then sent down to the enclosure. I am sure the commentator was Arthur Mountford

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbhibby View Post
    Was there I was in the tv gantry as the standard guys felt sorry for me as I was a small 6 year old
    When Bobby Duncan scored I nearly knocked over the tv camera. I was then sent down to the enclosure. I am sure the commentator was Arthur Mountford
    Sure it was bob cramsey , he usually done the commentating back then. I was at the game , at Dunbar end first half so got a good look of Duncan’s goal . Made way round at half time into the shed.it was bedlam when the goals started flying in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arrow

And I think it was Alec Cameron.So that’s the full set for STV.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I seem to remember seeing (in b&w) Bobby Duncan's goal on Scotsport (or its ilk). I can also remember after Hibs made it 4-0 the commentator (George Davidson?) saying "Hibs having the dilemma of whether to defend or go for another goal".
    Then, BANG! 5-0

In those days I believe tapes were reused so the game may have been taped over the following week. Who knows?
    Hard to believe nowadays the whole concept of “taping over” a video.

Although, thinking back, when video recorders became household items in the mid to late 70s, I bet we all had a tape with the words “DO NOT TAPE OVER” sellotaped to it for those shows you wanted to keep!!

Bet there’s a good few VHS highlights of Hibs games out there that a lot of us have forgotten we recorded.

I’m just back from 3 days in Naples. Mental place! I wonder how many Hibs fans went to the first leg? I’m guessing travel was much more expensive and difficult back then so probably hardly anyone went.

Not only was I there to see the great Dino Zoff, I scored against him (following a little pitch incursion after the third goal). As a 12 year old I was rewarded for my efforts with eviction from the ground (immediate return to the stand to avoid the polis), two of the belt and dropped fi the team the next again day for “bringing the school into disrepute “. Happy days indeed!