hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

50 years ago today Hibs 5 Naples 0

My first big European game. Bobby Duncan scored the best goal I have ever seen from 40 yards past Dino Zoff. Been hooked ever since GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hart RIP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My first big European game. Bobby Duncan scored the best goal I have ever seen from 40 yards past Dino Zoff. Been hooked ever since GGTTH
    Pleased to say that I was there.

Crazy how football's changed. What a result.

An amazing night, no one gave us a chance after the first leg, i'm pretty sure that Napoli were league champions at the end of that season as well !

Promising Youngster
    Father took me along and bought tickets in the stand - first time - what a night!

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I remember my Dad went but wouldn't let me or my brother go with him for some reason I can't remember.

Overturned a 4-1 away defeat IIRC.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    I was in the process of "changing ends" when Bobby unleashed the thunderbolt. It will be etched in my memory banks forever.

Was 8 year old. Remember asking my my dad on the way down to the game on the bus if we would win and he said something reminding me we were 4-1 down already, so not to get too disappointed.

The vivid colour of Naples' strips under the floodlights and their Mediterranean skin all looked very exotic to me and I can still visualise it strongly.

We were in the East down near the front, so Duncan's opener is clearly etched in my mind and I can replay it in my mind so easily.

However, I'm afraid the rest is a blur of jumping around / being lifted with my dad and uncles.! - I cannot recall any of the rest of the game, but although I'd already been to alot of games by then, I know I had my first of many incredible nights at Easter Road.

The terrible thing is we are unlikely ever to see the likes of it again, the way football is structured now we hardly get a sniff of European competitions.

A privilege to be there that night.

One of the great occasions. Long before Sunshine on Leith, unfortunately. I can't imagine what it would have sounded like that night. One of the best atmospheres I've ever known at ER.

Dino Zoff was a god, remember we didn't have blanket television coverage in these days so you really only read about these superstars or caught the odd snippet on tv. To see him picking the ball out of his net in the first five minutes will live with me forever. We just knew from that moment we were going to win.

Ah, the good old days, then along came 21.05.2016...........

@hibs.net private member Bayern Bru's Avatar
    Some great pics in the Evening News online plus a match report - and I didn't know that bit about us only being in the Fairs Cup at the expense of Clyde!

50 years ago today: Hibs thrash Napoli 5-0 in Fairs Cup
    They've only gone and done it! They've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! What kept you, Hibs?!

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    My abiding memory of that game was of the polis on duty in the cave celebrating as wildly as the fans when the 3rd goal went in.

Brilliant night

A wonderful football evening for Hibs fans - the Hibs players in that team provided some magical moments too - it wasn't just Turnbull's team that could be special ... was it really so long ago, and was Duncan's goal ONLY 25 yards out ? Pity there is no footage anywhere of the game ...

Testimonial Due
    I remember it well, next day at school, everyone thought it was a miss print in the papers!!!!!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenpaper55 View Post
    The terrible thing is we are unlikely ever to see the likes of it again, the way football is structured now we hardly get a sniff of European competitions.

The tie against AEK Athens in 2001 was also a memorable match but I doubt if we'll be lucky enough to see anything similar in the foreseeable future.

I've heard, dunno if it's true, that Naples season went to pot after that game. They were flying high but narrowly escaped relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post

Me too

What a night

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by where'stheslope View Post
    I remember it well, next day at school, everyone thought it was a miss print in the papers!!!!!
    Bobby Duncan's screamer is emblazoned in my memory. Jambo John Ayres was the EEN sports editor and the back page headline the following day was "Townsend Unfit for Saturday". The Napoli report was on the second last page.
    What a night though. Never to be forgotten.
    Last edited by snooky; 29-11-2017 at 11:30 AM.

I was 9 years old. My dad took me. Think it was my first European game. It’s certainly the first one I have a memory of. Standing up on the high part of the East terracing, the large crowd, the floodlights, that’s as much as I can recall if I’m honest.

Didn’t realise the significance of the result at the time other than the fact ‘we had won’ on aggregate. Now though, the 1-4 turnaround plus the scoring of 5 goals past one of the greatest keepers of all time means so much.

Question has probably been asked before but is there any video of the game known to exist?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    A spectacular result, wasnae there but have a programme from the game, score written on it and autographed by Montefusco, Cane, Peter Cormack, Jimmy O'rourke, Joe Davis, Pat Quinn, John Madsen.

Best bit for me is Bob Shankly's page, He says " I have been quoted as saying that Hibs can beat Naples by 3 goals to nullify the 4-1 defeat we suffered in Italy. That is not kidology on my part. I sincerely believe we can do it"

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member hibsfan7's Avatar

Cool 50 years ago today Hibs 5 Naples 0

i was too young to go myself and my brother alan was goin to take me but he was meeting a workmate in a pub in Edinburgh and the swine never turned up so I could have went
    I remember alan when he came home he was hoarse with all the cheering etc

@hibs.net private member alhibby's Avatar
    Thankfully my dad took me along that night, great game and great atmosphere, I can still see Bobby Duncan hit that ball from halfway down St Clair Street

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    I was 9 years old. My dad took me. Think it was my first European game. It’s certainly the first one I have a memory of. Standing up on the high part of the East terracing, the large crowd, the floodlights, that’s as much as I can recall if I’m honest.

Didn’t realise the significance of the result at the time other than the fact ‘we had won’ on aggregate. Now though, the 1-4 turnaround plus the scoring of 5 goals past one of the greatest keepers of all time means so much.

Question has probably been asked before but is there any video of the game known to exist?
    I seem to remember seeing (in b&w) Bobby Duncan's goal on Scotsport (or its ilk). I can also remember after Hibs made it 4-0 the commentator (George Davidson?) saying "Hibs having the dilemma of whether to defend or go for another goal".
    Then, BANG! 5-0

In those days I believe tapes were reused so the game may have been taped over the following week. Who knows?

Left by mutual consent!
    Looks like Napoli finished 2nd that season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_Serie_A

Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Looks like Napoli finished 2nd that season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967%E2%80%9368_Serie_A
    So looks like the anecdote I was told was bull.

Re. the footage. Straight from the HFC ofishie site .........

“I’ve never even seen the goal as the footage was destroyed in a flood." - Bobby Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I seem to remember seeing (in b&w) Bobby Duncan's goal on Scotsport (or its ilk). I can also remember after Hibs made it 4-0 the commentator (George Davidson?) saying "Hibs having the dilemma of whether to defend or go for another goal".
    Then, BANG! 5-0

In those days I believe tapes were reused so the game may have been taped over the following week. Who knows?
    Good memory bank,think the commentator may have been Alec Cameron.Pretty sure I saw it on Scotsport after I got home.
    Bob Shankly was a first rate manager,sometimes mentioned as in “Bill Shankly’s brother was also a manager”.Given the imbalance with the OF he had an excellent career.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    So was I amazing night.

Quote Originally Posted by madsen5 View Post
    So was I amazing night.
    My mate and I must have been a wee bit late in because we had just got settled in our usual spot when Duncan's Whip went in.
    Last edited by snooky; 30-11-2017 at 01:14 AM.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    I briefly worked alongside Bobby Duncan. He was still 'dining out' on that goal.

By the way, a nicer man you could not meet.