hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you know a pub called 'Wintersgills' on Great Western Road? Two meals for £12 and Tartan Special on draught - sounds barry!
    I'm listening
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHAM View Post
    I used to absolutely love “the strathy” when I was in Murano Street. At the end of 1st year the murano st committe had so many £££’s left and decided to put on a free bar every Wednesday night for the last 4 weeks in the Strathmore. Some absolute characters used to drink in there, and we had some drunken nights with the locals. As you said always pretty friendly. I thought The Crosslands (where Begbie launches the glass from the balcony) was rougher. Although both seem to be quite “trendy” now and definitely within a stroll of firhill.

In fact there are plenty good boozers within a 15-20min walk for anyone who doesn’t mind heading down towards Great Western Road, Woodlands Road or even Byres Road (slightly further). Us Westies who know the area, know we are spoiled for drinking options this game.
    Aye, it was a great haunt. We got to the point where the barman would start pouring pints when he saw us coming in. Mind you, I started at Glasgow in 2005 and it was £1.70 for a pint of Carlsberg back then...suspect the Strathmore is very different now! Ended up in there after we'd been to a Partick v Inverness game in the cup which Partick won on penalties, with free pies galore. Was never quite brave enough to venture into the Crosslands though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    Pewter Pot is meant to be child friendly though a 15 minute walk.
    Pewter Pot closed in 2014

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    This is Scotland, not Worcestershire. Becoming familiar with the inside of pubs starts earlier
    True and that's part of the problem Scots have with alcohol.

Where's the best place to park if you're planning to driver? I was hoping for a relatively quick get away onto the M8.

Heading through to Firhill on Saturday for the first time in at least 20 years - can anyone recommend a boozer in the vicinity of the ground which tolerates bairns? Think our provisional plan is to go to the Counting House for bit of grub before getting the train out, but would be good to sample some of the pre-match atmosphere in a local hostelry if possible.
    Don’t know if you saw my post on another thread but the pub that is at the front of the stadium the Aiken Suite for both home and away fansis child friendly and has hot food as well as drink and SKY it’s also at the stand where the away fans sit so just a case of walking out of the pub into the stadium
    Last edited by partickthistle; 27-11-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 18Hibee75 View Post
    The subway is miles away from the stadium. You can get a train to Partick station but not sure how far the stadium is from there. I'm going to get the train to Queen street and get a taxi to a pub near the stadium, under a ten minute drive and about £2-3 between 4 of us.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk
    its only between 5-10 mins walk mate - well under a mile from St. George’s Cross underground
    Last edited by partickthistle; 27-11-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by partickthistle View Post
    its only between 5-10 mins walk mate - well under a mile from St. George’s Cross underground
    Oops. Was thinking off Partick subway Station.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by partickthistle View Post
    Aye, that sounds a good shout - thanks for that. Every chance we'll end up in there pre-match at some stage.

Aye, that sounds a good shout - thanks for that. Every chance we'll end up in there pre-match at some stage.
    Sorry Patrick Thistle - that was meant to be a reply to your Aiken suite post!

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    Point proved.
    What point exactly? Where were we meant to go when our bus was booked into a pub beforehand? Wait on the bus? Or come into the pub with other kids and have a juice and a good time? Guess I better call social services eh? 😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by IlDiavola View Post
    Agreed.

Partick is not a nice area.
    Have you been there in the last 40 years. Partick is chic West End these days.

Maryhill on the other hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Have you been there in the last 40 years. Partick is chic West End these days.

Maryhill on the other hand.....

Aye, Maryhill is auld Glesga, replete with several Rab C Nesbitt types in every street and pub

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    What point exactly? Where were we meant to go when our bus was booked into a pub beforehand? Wait on the bus? Or come into the pub with other kids and have a juice and a good time? Guess I better call social services eh? 😂😂😂
    There a loads of family friendly pubs now they are non-smoking; it's changed. You see kids and parents all the time these days, unlike when we were kids.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Aye, Maryhill is auld Glesga, replete with several Rab C Nesbitt types in every street and pub
    Sure it was a St Js supporters bus that had bullet fired through the window leaving the ground a few seasons back.

@hibs.net private member
    There a loads of family friendly pubs now they are non-smoking; it's changed. You see kids and parents all the time these days, unlike when we were kids.
    Years ago you used to see kids and parents, parents inside, kids outside.

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Heading through to Firhill on Saturday for the first time in at least 20 years - can anyone recommend a boozer in the vicinity of the ground which tolerates bairns? Think our provisional plan is to go to the Counting House for bit of grub before getting the train out, but would be good to sample some of the pre-match atmosphere in a local hostelry if possible.
    From a Weegie Hibby now living in NZ - take the subway to Kelvinbridge- at the top of the escalator go left and over the bridge over the Kelvin ( watch out for GMS trying to go for a swim) and you will find a few child friendly places - walk back over the bridge and turn left onto North Woodside Road until you get to Maryhill Rd - turn left and head up to Queens x - you will see the ground here - 15-20 mins walk from Kelvinbridge subway station - not a bad area in Glasgow terms - if the Woodside bar is still about stop off for a pint- good Boozer - it is at junction of N Woodside and Maryhill Roads - wish I was gonna be there !

Quote Originally Posted by Albanian Hibs View Post
    And? I was in a pub before game on Saturday with my 6 year old..and I even had 2 pints..and I am a woman Any problem with that?
    Only two Lightweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Only two Lightweight

😂 ran out of time

Quote Originally Posted by scm70nyd1973 View Post
    From a Weegie Hibby now living in NZ - take the subway to Kelvinbridge- at the top of the escalator go left and over the bridge over the Kelvin ( watch out for GMS trying to go for a swim) and you will find a few child friendly places - walk back over the bridge and turn left onto North Woodside Road until you get to Maryhill Rd - turn left and head up to Queens x - you will see the ground here - 15-20 mins walk from Kelvinbridge subway station - not a bad area in Glasgow terms - if the Woodside bar is still about stop off for a pint- good Boozer - it is at junction of N Woodside and Maryhill Roads - wish I was gonna be there !
    Thanks mate. Sounds like we'll be spoiled for choice for places in which we can experience the legendary Glesgae banter (hopefully minus chibbings, glassings etc). Thinking of the earlier Tartan Spesh reference; pub we were in before the 'Well away match had McEwan's Pale Ale on draught #itwasalrightinthe80s

Is anyone still waiting to receive tickets for this? Ordered them the day they went on sale to season ticket holders with special delivery but still nothing through the post.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Is anyone still waiting to receive tickets for this? Ordered them the day they went on sale to season ticket holders with special delivery but still nothing through the post.
    Call the ticket office they’ll be able to track them. They definitely should have arrived by now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I ordered mine on the same day as you, requesting first class post and they arrived within 48 hours.

Thanks Calum & Vince. Got a response from the ticket office via email and mine were only posted yesterday :aok

Anyone know if the pub called Munns Vaults is still open? I tried calling the number on google and got abuse from a very angry Indian man saying this is not a pub, stop calling here. Haha.

Last time we played there, was in that pub and it was really good. Just a few minutes from the away end.

Can you walk it from Glasgow city centre?

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    Can you walk it from Glasgow city centre?
    Looks like it’s about 35 mins from George square.