hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    I can mind playing ' Ten by's'...two of you against a goalie and the goalie got a point if you missed the goal...a goal could only be scored by a header,first timer or "fancy"....deary me...was it that long ago ⚽⚽

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NthCarolinaHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can mind playing ' Ten by's'...two of you against a goalie and the goalie got a point if you missed the goal...a goal could only be scored by a header,first timer or "fancy"....deary me...was it that long ago ⚽⚽
    10????

Strictly 7 or 11.

First Team Regular NthCarolinaHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    10????

Strictly 7 or 11.
    Glad someone else remembers it...twas 10 up Currie way ⚽

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I remember (sometime around 1960) the first plastic ball came out. It was red all over and covered in little dimples that could tear the flesh off you. As someone said above, the ball would blow all over the place like a plastic bag in a gale. It also stung like hell whenever you got hit by one.
    Almost as bad as the worn leather ball, complete with laces and bladder, which would increase it's weight tenflod when playing on wet grass and would almost knock you if you got your head to a goalie's punt up the park.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    The permitted balls at Heriot's were these evil size 3, brandless plastic things, not a scrap of leather in sight. Swerved in the air like a cartoon flyaway.

On a cold morning even now I can wince at the thought of taking a fully inflated one of those on the inner thigh on a winter's lunchtime especially during the latter years at school when the games against the year above were utterly epic, the shots increasingly ferocious and I was somehow always in "nets" - meaning between the bin and gate just in front of the chemistry building.

Primary school football is where real memories are formed though.

Great thread.
    Weren't they oval?

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Almost as bad as the worn leather ball, complete with laces and bladder, which would increase it's weight tenflod when playing on wet grass and would almost knock you if you got your head to a goalie's punt up the park.
    Given the recent speculation about brain damage being connected to heading a football, the players in those days were far more at risk. Today's balls are like balloons in comparison to the 'medicine balls' of yore.

As an aside it's odd that there's so much concern these days about heading a ball causing damage yet no one seems to be bothered about boxing.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A 'take-on'!
    The take-on.

I haven’t heard that term for decades. What it meant to us was our equivalent of the European Cup including foreign travel of as much as 2 miles. The best 11, within a certain vague age range, from one scheme would take on teams from neighbouring schemes. From an early age, the height of ambition was to make the take-on team.
    Discussions about rules and who could play or not play, based loosely on age and size, took place before the game started.
    In the mid-50s to the early 60s, top teams in Edinburgh North were Pennywell, West Pilton and Granton. Lesser outfits such as Royston, Drylaw and Muirhouse were considered easybeats though as Muirhouse filled up with new houses and people they became a force.

Pennywell would make the half mile journey across the main road to face West Pilton in front of Craigmuir School, followed by a good away support. Stars included the Kane brothers (later to have some Hibs connection) and the Sharp twins. Rather than using a watch for time an agreed winning number of goals would be played for. The game was self-policed and hooliganism was never a problem. The gang culture was still at its early stages.

Never any money but great times with great people.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Given the recent speculation about brain damage being connected to heading a football, the players in those days were far more at risk. Today's balls are like balloons in comparison to the 'medicine balls' of yore.

As an aside it's odd that there's so much concern these days about heading a ball causing damage yet no one seems to be bothered about boxing.
    The mitre moudmaster getting hit with that In a freezing meggetland saturday morning. PAIN

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Weren't they oval?

Touché. Not in the playground they weren't

Rugby was a stupid bloody game at the age of 11 - as soon as I had the option of Cross country running I was offski, haring across frozen fields on the weekend as opposed to getting smashed to bits on them.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Games form Down South in Bath.

Heads, Volleys, Beats. Goalie and outfield players. Goals are scored only by a header or a volley. Goalie gets out of goal if he catches a header, volley or a setup flick clean or if a striker misses the goal (either wide or over). Person who mucks up then replaces the goalie.

After 5 goals the person in goals receives “beats” from the rest of the team. Beats increase in severity, including “tunnel beats” where the goalie has to run a gauntlet of players. Beats culminates in “Crucifixion beats”, where essentially the goalie takes a whooping.

Wall ball

Wembley - as described a knockout competition.

Wembley doubles (same as Wembley, but two per team).

3 and in - 3 goals then scorer of last goal goes in goal.

J

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker9 View Post
    The take-on.

I haven’t heard that term for decades. What it meant to us was our equivalent of the European Cup including foreign travel of as much as 2 miles. The best 11, within a certain vague age range, from one scheme would take on teams from neighbouring schemes. From an early age, the height of ambition was to make the take-on team.
    Discussions about rules and who could play or not play, based loosely on age and size, took place before the game started.
    In the mid-50s to the early 60s, top teams in Edinburgh North were Pennywell, West Pilton and Granton. Lesser outfits such as Royston, Drylaw and Muirhouse were considered easybeats though as Muirhouse filled up with new houses and people they became a force.

Pennywell would make the half mile journey across the main road to face West Pilton in front of Craigmuir School, followed by a good away support. Stars included the Kane brothers (later to have some Hibs connection) and the Sharp twins. Rather than using a watch for time an agreed winning number of goals would be played for. The game was self-policed and hooliganism was never a problem. The gang culture was still at its early stages.

Never any money but great times with great people.
    I used to be mates with Tam Sharps son. Tam was some character. Apparently he and his twin signed for hibs and hearts on the same day.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I used to be mates with Tam Sharps son. Tam was some character. Apparently he and his twin signed for hibs and hearts on the same day.
    I couldn't remember their Christian names but one of them was more extrovert than the other. Sounds like he was Tam and the other might have been Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    The mitre moudmaster getting hit with that In a freezing meggetland saturday morning. PAIN

The difference in those things when they got cold was unreal. On a frosty morning they were more like concrete than rubber.

'Long-banging' was played by two. Two sets of goals were established at around the furthest distance that the two could kick. You could score by connecting well or if your opponent miskicked to say halfway you were entitled to run and blooter the ball from where it was - one touch only.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    And we wonder why Scottish football has been left behind by other smaller nations
    I was thinking that it was the demise of these rules and games and the skills they develop that had contributed to the slow demise of the game...

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Scallywags united!

You couldn't make some of these classic "rules" up. Some of the posts deserve to be archived for posterity.

@hibs.net private member
    Tis Tac to pick teams. Two captains walked towards each other putting the heel of one foot directly in front of the toe of the other until someones foot landed on top of the opponent's. They got to choose first player and then everyone started worrying that they were going to get picked last.

Knockout - Ball thrown out by keeper and then either individuals or pairs had to score to get through to the next round. If you are left without scoring you are out. Deflections may or may not be allowed. In pairs both players had to touch it.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    How about the Golden rule?

Hibs always beat Hearts.