hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Every game played with a constant David Francie commentary.

"It's a driiiiiiive - and oh my goodness!"

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What a stramash.

Or waaannn niiiillll as Coleman would say

Any excuse ...

First Team Regular leithsansiro's Avatar
    Oh man, I am loving this thread! Isn't it cool everyone recognises these games in their own versions? Slightly sadly, I doubt kids would having similar experiences nowadays.

On a related point, reading this thread brought back memories of the day that some boy painted a goal frame (with a squint crossbar) using white gloss paint on the gable end of an elderly woman's house in our estate. It made for a cool pitch, for about an hour, until her grown up son arrived (i suppose she'd phoned him) and threatened to batter "whichever little p***k painted that f***ing thing". My vocabulary of swear words grew massively a nine year old that day.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Or SEVEN niiiillll as Coleman would say
    That better?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Walley - played with either a tennis ball or a football. Great at school, off the gym or assembly wall. Everyone had to hit the wall with only one touch, taken in turns. If you missed your shot you were out. If you were quick enough, you'd take your shot before the ball stopped, when it was your go.
    Last edited by Hibernia&Alba; 27-11-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Neighbour complaints about the ball were relayed to your maw, but any serious issue, such as a broken window, would be escalated to "wait til yer da gets hame". The **** had hit the fan.
    "Aw naw, don't tell da. It was an accident; cover for me, maw"
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

nae balls were allowed in our playground so we played with wee orange juice cartons

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Yes I am sure that those in England similarly used Rangers and Celtic as Scottish teams.
    Nah we used English teams, never really heard of Rangers and only knew of Celtic because of Dalglish.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Walley - played with either a tennis ball or a football. Great at school, off the gym or assembly wall. Everyone had to hit the wall with only one touch, taken in turns. If you missed your shot you were out. If you were quick enough, you'd take your shot before the ball stopped, when it was your go.
    We called it SPOT every miss gave you a letter, once you had spelled SPOT you were out.

We were not allowed any balls at Leith Walk primary (late 60's) so had to use a ball made of rolled up socks. Only rule was get your socks in quick because the last pair used were stretched to buggery and full of holes at the end of the game. The worst or fattest player was always the goalie and instantly pilloried if he failed in his duties.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    We were not allowed any balls at Leith Walk primary (late 60's) so had to use a ball made of rolled up socks. Only rule was get your socks in quick because the last pair used were stretched to buggery and full of holes at the end of the game. The worst or fattest player was always the goalie and instantly pilloried if he failed in his duties.
    Sock ball at Trinity in the 70’s as well

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by leithsansiro View Post
    Oh man, I am loving this thread! Isn't it cool everyone recognises these games in their own versions? Slightly sadly, I doubt kids would having similar experiences nowadays.

On a related point, reading this thread brought back memories of the day that some boy painted a goal frame (with a squint crossbar) using white gloss paint on the gable end of an elderly woman's house in our estate. It made for a cool pitch, for about an hour, until her grown up son arrived (i suppose she'd phoned him) and threatened to batter "whichever little p***k painted that f***ing thing". My vocabulary of swear words grew massively a nine year old that day.
    Football was great back in the day either in car parts diving about on gravel or even making class sets of goals made of found you found or steel barriers, never happens now and I'm only talking 20 years ago. The pitz was a massive privilege and everywhere I used to play has no ball games and or massive long grass or houses built. Cannae even remember the last time I seen a group playing on a bit of grass outside houses or even playing kurbie. Led to great team work and learning young, selling golf balls on the courses going in bushes to find them summer holidays where amazing and I hated being in. Now my boy goes tonto if he can't get on his Xbox.

Simple question did all jannys have a limp?

The ubiquitous drunk guy coming out the pub at afternoon closing time running on the pitch trying to kick the ball
    Always too pished to play but the always tried.
    Last edited by Sammy7nil; 27-11-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Simple question did all jannys have a limp?
    Yes and a crew cut

The Meedies or the Meadows as called now on a summers night or Sunday morning you could not see the grass for take on's today nothing apart from students playing fizbee

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    And we wonder why Scottish football has been left behind by other smaller nations
    It died when they removed the tanner from circulation. Naebody could buy a baw anymare.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yes and a crew cut
    And a great choice of pens in his top pocket

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yes and a crew cut
    Nah ours was fat and bald and was like the fat controller on Thomas. Great guy. Gutted when I heard he had died.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    Mind when you were a kid, 'playing oot' with pals and you'd be having twenty-a-side on the local park or in the street. What were the improvised rules you used? Remember these....

Fly goalie - keeper could also be an outfield player and was allowed to join in attacks.

Any man goalie - Any player could save a shot with their hands, but it was still handball if it wasn't a shot on goal.

Next goal wins - Losing 12-3 and need to go home for your dinner? Nae bother, shout 'next goal wins' and the score returns to 0-0 regardless of score. This has to be agreed by both teams.

Nae affside - this means both teams could employ the 'goal hanger', who was available for the long ball. Etiquette dictated that only one goal hanger per team was permissible. More than one was 'cheatin'.

Penalty spot was 'ten steps' from the goal. Pacing out the steps was controversial; they had to be ordinary walking steps and not huge strides. Dispute of the steps required a re-count with everyone counting out loud to ensure the ten were correctly prescribed.

Any other rules you had?
    Can't remember any rules, we all chased after the ball like a pack of dogs.

Coaching Staff
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Myjo5984 Wii Code: 3916 0145 9394 9493
    nae balls were allowed in our playground so we played with wee orange juice cartons
    I remember several games at school where nobody had brought in a ball so we had to make do with an empty plastic irn-bru bottle instead........sometimes even getting a half filled one on the go which made for a half-decent scud missile when you caught it just right

Walley - our primary school had a funny layout of walls and sloped grass and slabs round it, you had to hit one particular wall section. A skilled player could angle the ball to arc along a slope, or even better round the corner, which meant you had to be quick to catch the ball and get your one hit in before it got too far. Made you appreciate all sorts of gradients and angles

10-21er - half time and full time

pairs - one goalie and every else in pairs. Never threes, only pairs or sometimes singles. Was a pisser if you were the first lot out, we used to end up with 5-6 paurs sometimes.

speech play - was considered bad form to shout to put off a player about to shoot, and often resulted in a penalty for the shooter if they used that as their excuse for making an erse of the shot

slow players trying to incorporate a rule that faster players weren’t allowed to just knock the ball past a slow one and sprint by (usually laughed at but funny to think about, I was a faster one)

Hits it gits it

everybody knowing that regardless of who owned the ball, when the auld prick who hated us playing fitba at the field came out, whoever was closest grabbed the ball and we all scattered

the measure of whether a shot had gone just under or just over the bar being based on whether it went over the fence some distance behind the goals or not

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    7 byes at my bit.

I mustn't have played as much as anyone else, it seems.
    That was it

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    A player with lesser skills could only get a game if he happened to appear with a guid 'ba.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Before picking your teammates. Two people would play tick tack with their feet( starting about five feet apart ) Whoever stood on the other persons foot first got first pick .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

I mind taking my ba' tae school circa 1978/79. As owner of said ba', I naturally had the authority to decide who got a gemme. A laddie offered me a Panini sticker of Hearts 'star striker' Wullie Gibson if I'd let him play. He got a gemme, but I didnae bother taking the sticker...the daft things ye remember..

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    5-11 or 10-21 if it was a big take on.

Cross-in with heiders only in a box set out carefully with discarded jumpers.. Volleys only outside the box. Byes the goalie got a goal.Three corners the strikers got a penalty.

Long bangers.
    One touch long bangers!

Kerby if you had an empty Iona street.

Benchy if you had an empty Iona steeet swing park, double goals if you headed it through the gap.

If there was more than 4 of us wed play a game in the backies. Boot it as high and hard as you can. Next man had to get to it before it stopped moving and do the same. Repeat until buggered. Didn't half shed the Angel Delight.

Ventured Doon the Links,and played 'Barry' decades before Soccer AM.

Wish I was 10 again. Hibs were ****ing brilliant too!

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    None of yous did a "post rebound"?

If the ball went over the pile of jackets the keeper had to take the ball, stand at the post facing away from the pitch and throw it backwards over his head.
    I remember that!!!