hibs.net Messageboard

Scotland v Australia

Disappointing result for the Hibees today but what about that from Scotland?! Obviously the red card played a big part but nevertheless putting 50-plus points on any team, never mind Australia, is not to be sniffed at. 5 years ago we'd never have done that. Played with no fear and took chances, brilliant to watch.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Excellent attitude, and clinical performance.

Dealt with the mistakes professionally, and played with a confidence, belief and creativity that’s rarely seen in Scottish sportsmen/women, never mind just rugby players.

The type of result we often bemoan belongs to the top teams and never us, so well done hugely to every one of them, Townsend included.

and to think we gave the Aussies a chance by not playing Stuart Hogg

That's us beat Australia in our last 2 games and Hoggy didn't play in either. Maybe he's a weak link... 😉

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Scotland were magnificent today. Fast attacking exciting rugby. We may not win every game we play but give me that any day before the boring hit it up with huge guys rugby that England play. Great to watch Scotland at the moment

I'm not a rugby fan but that's an outstanding result.

Well done Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Fantastic display of all out attacking rugby today. After the drudgery of the last 20 years, Toony has made rugby union a game well worth watching .

Watched the game today and despite not being a rugby fan at all I enjoyed it. Last time I watched Scotland it was all very slow with big guys running not very far into other big guys. Today some of the passing and movement looked excellent to the layperson. There seemed a few times were it broke down or didn't quite work out but it was thoroughly entertaining and looked like a confident team enjoying themselves.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    The Scotland rugby team are building something really special. Very enjoyable to watch. Townsend is carrying on the good work that Cotter started and put the pieces in place. Night and day compared to the national football team. I’m looking forward to the six nations.

Left by mutual consent!
    Scotland were very good. We were playing very well before the Aussie got the red card. The red card obviously helped us but there is no doubting the card was deserved as it was a brutal follow through dangerous challenge.. A fantastic performance against a normally world class side. Well done Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's us beat Australia in our last 2 games and Hoggy didn't play in either. Maybe he's a weak link... 😉
    And should have beaten them the previous time.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Great performance, even before the extra man advantage. Some of the offloading was razor-sharp and world-class.

There were a few players missing who would normally be expected to be first-picks or in the squad as well - Ritchie Gray, Greig Laidlaw, Stuart Hogg, WP Nel, John Hardie, Alasdair Dickinson, Duncan Taylor and a few others, plus Townsend has dropped players who seem pretty decent - Visser, Denton, Strauss to name but three.

All in all it's looking good for Scotland.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    And should have beaten them the previous time.

if that was the WC game then you're right, when the referee blew for the end and then sprinted the width of the pitch straight afterwards after he realised he totally screwed up and cheated us out of a win

it would be brilliant if we can win our first six nations game next year in wales...i freaking detest warren Gatland
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 25-11-2017 at 11:43 PM.

Great result for Scotland, but arguably one of the worst Wallaby teams ever to pull on the Green and Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Curried View Post
    Great result for Scotland, but arguably one of the worst Wallaby teams ever to pull on the Green and Gold.

Beat the all blacks recently though, however I would agree, this Aussie team isn’t a classic.

i think Southern Hemisphere rugby is in a bit of a funny place right now. About 12-15 years ago, New Zealand rugby was in the doldrums a bit (by their standards), and did a bit of root and branch review and transformation of how they went about their business. Now, the all blacks have ruled world rugby for a decade, and New Zealand teams have dominated Super Rugby for a while now as well, none of which looks like changing any time soon.

on the flip side, in the same time frame in the northern hemisphere, England, Wales and Ireland have had spells of being dominant or at least very strong, and the Scotland team are continuing on an upward momentum that’s been slowly building since the last World Cup, and has kept improving, now at a point where it’s arguably the best side we’ve had since the 95 World Cup, with a number of players who are rightly coveted and feared, and wouldn’t look out of place in the more feted sides in the world. The likes of Hogg, Russell, Nel, Jonny Gray, Barclay, Seymour, would be welcomed by most nations, with several more very good international players complimenting them. Exciting times for Scottish rugby 😊

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    We were a delight to watch eventually yesterday. We were indeed playing well before the (deserved) red card, but we definitely opened them up a lot more afterwards. I didn't think we were playing AS well as we did against NZ in the first half, but we tore them to shreds in the second half.

It's a fast, exciting and strong team - we look pacy in forward play, but have the strength and power at the back and in the pack. Not once did Australia (and scarcely NZ) outmuscle us during scrums/packs. I do think we can probably work on some of our handling - the offloads are quick just now, and a couple of players repeatedly kept making knock-on mistakes by failing to catch the ball before trying to move with it (one of which resulted in Australia's second try) - Marfo was particularly bad for this yesterday.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    if that was the WC game then you're right, when the referee blew for the end and then sprinted the width of the pitch straight afterwards after he realised he totally screwed up and cheated us out of a win

it would be brilliant if we can win our first six nations game next year in wales...i freaking detest warren Gatland

Me too.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Sconnie Botland up to 5th in the ruggerby world rankings equaling our highest ever :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42222227

Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post

Me too.
    I'm welsh and I don't really like him much either.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    I'm welsh and I don't really like him much either.

How come?

He’s won 3 championships including 2 grand slams and 2 triple crowns during his tenure in charge of Wales.