hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team v Hamilton

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar

Team v Hamilton

I’d bring in McGeoch for Stokes. No other changes for me although Lennon may drop Barker for McGeoch if making any changes. Anyone know if McGregor will make the bench?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Fergus52's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zazu rafike
    I'd like to see us try a 4-3-3 with a midfield of Slivka-McGeouch-Mcginn and a forward line of Boyle-Murray-Barker/Stokes.

Bit harsh on Bartley to drop out but I think that the 3 I picked have enough grit and defensive nous between them to protect the defense. Bartley often slows down our play during the transition phase, taking a long time on the ball just to make a simple sideways pass, which lets the other team get back into position.

I'd like to see McGeouch sitting deep, collecting the ball from the defense and dictating the play, with Slivka and McGinn doing more of the leg work and pressing in midfield then getting forward and making runs into the box when we do have the ball.

I think that team would strike a good balance between having numbers in the middle of the park and carrying a decent attacking threat. Our team against St Johnstone was strong on paper but we really struggled to control the midfield and rarely got the ball to our attacking 4 quick enough. Getting Slivka and McGeough in midfield should help us move the ball quicker into the attacking phase. Despite losing the defensive shield of Bartley, having those three in the middle should still be enough in midfield to help out the defence.

Get back to the team that had been doing so well for us, only change is McGeouch in for Stokes.

Leaves us a good few options on the bench, and we need to be prepared to make early, decisive changes to personnel and formation if (for any reason) it's not going our way.

McGeough in for Barker, front 3 of Boyle, Murray and Stokes.

Whittaker for Gray if fit.

GK Marciano

DR Gray
    DC Ambrose
    DC Hanlon
    DL Stevenson

MCR Slivka
    MCL McGeouch
    DM Bartley

AMC McGinn

ST Big Davy
    ST Murray

..................Marciano..............

Gray....Ambrose...Hanlon...Stevenson

..................Bartley...............

.....McGinn..............McGeough...

Boyle............................Stokes.

...............Murray................

If it was at home I'd be tempted to go 352 and replace Bartley with Slivka and also drop Gray out but away I think we need Marvin. Stokes and Stevenson generally link well on the left and with Stokes tendency to drop deep or wide we may as well make that his role, if we get him on the ball he'll be a threat. If McGeough is fit he has to play and Murray is better as a lone striker than as part of a 2 imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

If it was at home I'd be tempted to go 352 and replace Bartley with Slivka and also drop Gray out but away I think we need Marvin. Stokes and Stevenson generally link well on the left and with Stokes tendency to drop deep or wide we may as well make that his role, if we get him on the ball he'll be a threat. If McGeough is fit he has to play and Murray is better as a lone striker than as part of a 2 imo.
    Mon the Hibs.

Might be a rash shout but I'd be inclined to play Whittaker at left back instead of Lewy. Although I was pleased to see him back into the team before our run of wins, I think the last couple of games he's been found out a bit, with a couple goals coming that side. And I was at the St Johnstone game and I don't think he partnered well with stokes on the left, and whilst I know Whitty isn't a natural left back, he's a better threat going forward. Depends if he is fit or not of course, but I wouldn't mind a slight change.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Might be a rash shout but I'd be inclined to play Whittaker at left back instead of Lewy. Although I was pleased to see him back into the team before our run of wins, I think the last couple of games he's been found out a bit, with a couple goals coming that side. And I was at the St Johnstone game and I don't think he partnered well with stokes on the left, and whilst I know Whitty isn't a natural left back, he's a better threat going forward. Depends if he is fit or not of course, but I wouldn't mind a slight change.
    The cross came from one of the best players in the league on Lewis' side. The goals came from the marking and defending in the middle at least as much. Whittaker wasn't great at left back and I'm we could do with him back on the other side as Lewis has had a better season than SDG
    Last edited by wookie70; 24-11-2017 at 05:35 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    McGeouch in for Barker. No way should we drop Stokes - he’s our best forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

This for me too.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    McGeouch in for Barker. No way should we drop Stokes - he’s our best forward.
    I can see why Lennon wants to fit Stokes in but he needs to find a system that it will work. The system against St Johnstone just didn't work. To me Stokes needs players close to him. He is brilliant at short passes and spotting movement. Yes he can play longer balls too but I most like Stokes in tight situations but when he has options. Most of the time he plays up top with Murray he is miles away from his partner. Stokes has been decent this year but our best striker by a mile last year was Jason and he was dropped very quickly by Lennon.
    If we play Stokes I would like us to give 4-3-3 a go with Boyle joining Stokes and Murray. The only other option is to replace Barker with Stokes playing on the left of midfield but with an option to wander. He plays there anyway when he is up front. Stokes can't play up front on his one as he is far too lazy.
    I'm a great believer in consistency in selection and keeping a winning team. I would revert back to the team that started when we were on that run of winning games. I have a feeling Swanson is the player that we could really do with. We could play him in place of Barker and I think he would get close to Stokes and could form a partnership. He never started the season well but was involved in quite a few goals and always looked lively

Coaching Staff
    If Stokes and Barker are struggling with a bug, I'd be tempted to start Murray with Oli Shaw - Shaw plays most of his football on synthetic pitches too which could be a bonus.

If McGeouch is fit, it's absolutely vital that he plays.

@hibs.net private member JohnMcM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    I can see why Lennon wants to fit Stokes in but he needs to find a system that it will work. The system against St Johnstone just didn't work. To me Stokes needs players close to him. He is brilliant at short passes and spotting movement. Yes he can play longer balls too but I most like Stokes in tight situations but when he has options.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Seems to me that your next sentence could well have been ",,,,,,,,,such as Oli Shaw or Murray close to him, we have goals?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    If McGeouch is fit, it's absolutely vital that he plays.
    I think the same but after watching the St Johnstone goals I think Dylan needs to have a think about either his commitment or his fitness. If he was carrying a knock to the point he couldn't even make a reasonable effort to track back then he needs to stay off the bench and pitch. I'd liked to see Fraser Murray start to get a chance. Not starting but coming on for the last 15 or 20 if we need to liven things up or get a goal. Like Swanson he could be the missing link between midfield and the strikers

With rangers losing last night it’s crucial we get something from today’s game. It will be a battle. Need to win our challenges before showing our quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Dom View Post
    GK Marciano

DR Gray
    DC Ambrose
    DC Hanlon
    DL Stevenson

MCR Slivka
    MCL McGeouch
    DM Bartley

AMC McGinn

ST Big Davy
    ST Murray
    Dropping Boyle would be absolute madness.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Marciano

Stevenson
    Ambrose
    Hanlon
    Whittaker

Bartley
    Mcgeouch
    Mcginn

Boyle
    Murray
    Barker

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    I don't think it's rash at all. Stevenson has been quite poor for weeks now.

Taking him out for one or two games might do him the world of good, especially with such a busy December just round the corner.

We don’t need Bartley today but will probably play him. 1-1

Sounds like David Gray and Whittaker are both doubts, could mean we are forced to go with 3 at the back with Stevenson and Boyle as wing backs.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Marciano

Efe
    Hanlon
    Porteous

Boyle
    Lewis

McGinn
    McGeouch
    Slivka

Stokes
    Murray

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Marciano

Efe
    Hanlon
    Porteous

Boyle
    Lewis

McGinn
    McGeouch
    Slivka

Stokes
    Murray
    This would be my team based on what's available today.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Marciano

Efe
    Hanlon
    Porteous

Boyle
    Lewis

McGinn
    McGeouch
    Slivka

Stokes
    Murray

I’d go with this team as well

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I don't think it's rash at all. Stevenson has been quite poor for weeks now.

Taking him out for one or two games might do him the world of good, especially with such a busy December just round the corner.
    Whittaker at left back did not work when we played Dundee away.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It won't be easy, but I think I'll impose a "black out" and then watch the entire game "live" on Alba at 6pm.

Marciano

Stevenson
    Hanlon
    Ambrose
    Gray

Bartley
    McGeogh
    McGinn

Stokes
    Boyle
    Murray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Promising Youngster
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Doogz97
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It won't be easy, but I think I'll impose a "black out" and then watch the entire game "live" on Alba at 6pm.
    Doing the exact same GB. Working until 6pm, phone off at 3, back on again after watching this and the Liverpool Chelsea game 😁

Quote Originally Posted by DunbarHibeey View Post
    Doing the exact same GB. Working until 6pm, phone off at 3, back on again after watching this and the Liverpool Chelsea game 😁
    Serious question,have we ever won or played well when we've been on alba? If we have it must have been a while ago as I can't remember it.