hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    The more they suffocate our league, the more they will suffer as well, which they just don't get.

Hope its 20-0 next year

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep it's all the fault of us little guys. Back in the day when actually winning the European cup was more important than just being in it and making tons and tons of cash Celtic were actual contenders as were Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, der Hun and even ourselves Killie, Dundee even Dunfermline actually did well in Europe. Nowadays money breeds money but to get on you either need to have billions pumped in by Sky - EPL or have sqillionaire owners Man City, PSG etc. Sorry to sound like an old miserable ******* but it really was better before champions league. There were always bigger clubs but the gulf now is astronomical.
    Totally agree. I've no interest in the champions league bar watching spurs who were sublime v real. It's the same in horse racing where the billionaires pay ridiculous prices for horses and the little guy is left with the scraps. Scottish football is the poorest for decades anyway and this just exacerbates it. Celtic shouldn't be losing by that much though. Cue the cascarinos of this world having a field day. Got rid of BT sport as I wasn't watching the games.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Listened to the sportsound podcast this morning and within 5 minutes it's the competition in the leagues fault. If that's the case where is the praise for the competition from when they beat Barcelona? Or Man Utd? Or for any of the "special" nights Celtic have had at home?

I used to want Celtic to do ok in Europe but now they can **** off as far as I'm concerned. They got done last night in the same way teams that play them get done.

Oh aye, and are they really surprised at getting such a shafting off a front line that cost €300,000,000? If so then there is more naivety at that club than I thought possible.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Yep it's all the fault of us little guys. Back in the day when actually winning the European cup was more important than just being in it and making tons and tons of cash Celtic were actual contenders as were Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, der Hun and even ourselves Killie, Dundee even Dunfermline actually did well in Europe. Nowadays money breeds money but to get on you either need to have billions pumped in by Sky - EPL or have sqillionaire owners Man City, PSG etc. Sorry to sound like an old miserable ******* but it really was better before champions league. There were always bigger clubs but the gulf now is astronomical.
    Back in the day you refer to virtually all European clubs competed with the vast majorities of their team comprised of their country's home grown players.

Now the top clubs such as Man City and PSG etc simply buy up the best players from all over the world which allows them to build teams that are virtually impregnable against competition from outwith similarly billionaire financed clubs.

That's why its become boring to some of us as its now an elite super rich club league system with the same elite super rich clubs more or less competing against each other every year with virtually zero challenge coming from clubs here in Scotland who mostly have to sell in order just to survive.

One answer would be to restrict the amount of foreign players allowed to play in one team but that could be deemed incompatible with the EU's freedom of movement ideals therefore its unlikely that would come about.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Back in the day you refer to virtually all European clubs competed with the vast majorities of their team comprised of their country's home grown players.

Now the top clubs such as Man City and PSG etc simply buy up the best players from all over the world which allows them to build teams that are virtually impregnable against competition from outwith similarly billionaire financed clubs.

That's why its become boring to some of us as its now an elite super rich club league system with the same elite super rich clubs more or less competing against each other every year with virtually zero challenge coming from clubs here in Scotland who mostly have to sell in order just to survive.

One answer would be to restrict the amount of foreign players allowed to play in one team but that could be deemed incompatible with the EU's freedom of movement ideals therefore its unlikely that would come about.
    UEFA/FIFA would never allow that as it would limit the abilities of the big teams to spend the tens of millions that make European football a giant pissing contest and generate the interest it carries in the process.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I thought some of the football in the Celtc game was brilliant. Not from Celtc though.

The Liverpool Sevilla game was great entertainment tae.

The big teams with the money just buy everyone and are miles ahead of wee teams...well Basle beat Man Utd last night.

52 goals in the Champions League this week. Boring? Nah, no for me.

It's no like it was back in the "good old days"...what is?

If you dinnae like it, nobody's forcing you to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    UEFA/FIFA would never allow that as it would limit the abilities of the big teams to spend the tens of millions that make European football a giant pissing contest and generate the interest it carries in the process.
    No doubt after brexit they will stop the flow of foreign players into English clubs and get back to the three lions spirit. Ahem.🙄

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I thought some of the football in the Celtc game was brilliant. Not from Celtc though.

The Liverpool Sevilla game was great entertainment tae.

The big teams with the money just buy everyone and are miles ahead of wee teams...well Basle beat Man Utd last night.

52 goals in the Champions League this week. Boring? Nah, no for me.

It's no like it was back in the "good old days"...what is?

If you dinnae like it, nobody's forcing you to watch it.
    I've been going off Champions League football in a big way over the past few years, but this year it has been brilliant.

I've never really fallen for the EPL being the best club competition - it was always the European Cup or the early Champions League for me, but as the biggest teams have become bigger the spectacle has become poorer. I don't think football is in any way better for great clubs from smaller countries (like Ajax) being left so far behind.

The power of the big clubs is hugely off putting, but there have been loads of goals, lots of good games and some outstanding football played in this year's competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I've been going off Champions League football in a big way over the past few years, but this year it has been brilliant.

I've never really fallen for the EPL being the best club competition - it was always the European Cup or the early Champions League for me, but as the biggest teams have become bigger the spectacle has become poorer. I don't think football is in any way better for great clubs from smaller countries (like Ajax) being left so far behind.

The power of the big clubs is hugely off putting, but there have been loads of goals, lots of good games and some outstanding football played in this year's competition.
    Some of the football being played this season is magnificent I've watched some great stuff from Napoli, man city, leipzig.

Football has changed beyond recognition in the last 25 years and even more so in the last decade or so with the arrival of Abramovich at Chelsea and the snowball effect that followed. I don't particularly like it but there's no point being resentful about it either, for all the pipe dreams the mega rich aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

At the top end you have some of the big, rich clubs who have always been big, rich clubs: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, Bayern Munich. They have been joined by the new money clubs: PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City. Whatever people think history says these clubs increasingly have a commercial structure and financial firepower that puts them in the same ballpark as the historical big guns.

You then have clubs who used to be top end clubs but have failed to keep pace with those at the top table: Liverpool, Benfica, AC Milan, Inter, Ajax, Marseille etc. With investment, a bit of luck and sorting out their commercial arm (particularly in the case of the Italian clubs) they could rejoin the very top end.

Celtic probably fall into the group behind that. Unattractive to potential investors, big fish in a small pond and unlikely to ever recapture the glory days they once enjoyed in Europe but still dominant domestically and historically a notable club.

We now fall some way behind even that. We are one of a group of teams who has known limited success, some European memories and have the hope of being as good as we can be and picking up a domestic trophy relatively often. We were never likely to benefit from the riches of the Champions League but have suffered as Sky money has bloated historically smaller English clubs to be bigger than the likes of oursleves, Hearts and Aberdeen.

Celtic need to accept that their level now is exactly what they have seen the last couple of years. Whipping boys for the top end teams and battling for 3rd place with teams not hugely dissimilar to themselves like Anderlecht. Most of us have accepted that we are never going to compete with Celtic domestically because of the disparity in financial clout, we don't like it but we get it. They seem to fail to grasp it and throw the toys out the pram when they inevitably get a beating of teams with greater financial muscle than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Football has changed beyond recognition in the last 25 years and even more so in the last decade or so with the arrival of Abramovich at Chelsea and the snowball effect that followed. I don't particularly like it but there's no point being resentful about it either, for all the pipe dreams the mega rich aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

At the top end you have some of the big, rich clubs who have always been big, rich clubs: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Juventus, Bayern Munich. They have been joined by the new money clubs: PSG, Chelsea, Manchester City. Whatever people think history says these clubs increasingly have a commercial structure and financial firepower that puts them in the same ballpark as the historical big guns.

You then have clubs who used to be top end clubs but have failed to keep pace with those at the top table: Liverpool, Benfica, AC Milan, Inter, Ajax, Marseille etc. With investment, a bit of luck and sorting out their commercial arm (particularly in the case of the Italian clubs) they could rejoin the very top end.

Celtic probably fall into the group behind that. Unattractive to potential investors, big fish in a small pond and unlikely to ever recapture the glory days they once enjoyed in Europe but still dominant domestically and historically a notable club.

We now fall some way behind even that. We are one of a group of teams who has known limited success, some European memories and have the hope of being as good as we can be and picking up a domestic trophy relatively often. We were never likely to benefit from the riches of the Champions League but have suffered as Sky money has bloated historically smaller English clubs to be bigger than the likes of oursleves, Hearts and Aberdeen.

Celtic need to accept that their level now is exactly what they have seen the last couple of years. Whipping boys for the top end teams and battling for 3rd place with teams not hugely dissimilar to themselves like Anderlecht. Most of us have accepted that we are never going to compete with Celtic domestically because of the disparity in financial clout, we don't like it but we get it. They seem to fail to grasp it and throw the toys out the park when they inevitably get a beating of teams with greater financial muscle than them.
    Completely agree with your analysis.

I'd also add that as the resources have been ever more concentrated in a few top clubs, I think the football we are seeing from those very top clubs is of a higher standard than it used to be.

I think Peps Man City would most of the time comfortably beat Fergies Man Utd, or Arsenal's invincibles, for example. It doesn't mean I like the way footballs gone or that it's fair, but as a purist it's very impressive watching eleven players all of whom are the top three or four in their position in the world all playing together. I have to admit I really like watching the champions league, even if I don't agree with it.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar

Rodgers being obtuse here, IMO. They've been murdered yet again in the Champions League, but he gets arsey when asked about the formation. Yes they played world class opposition, but they're taking regular gubbings now. He's very self-satisfied when talking about another domestic game unbeaten though.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Celtic need to accept that their level now is exactly what they have seen the last couple of years. Whipping boys for the top end teams and battling for 3rd place with teams not hugely dissimilar to themselves like Anderlecht. Most of us have accepted that we are never going to compete with Celtic domestically because of the disparity in financial clout, we don't like it but we get it. They seem to fail to grasp it and throw the toys out the pram when they inevitably get a beating of teams with greater financial muscle than them.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar

A top read that

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    just tuned in to Everton v Atalanta(0-1) where the heck are all the everton fans jeezo the ground is half empty you would think they were having to watch Hertz or sommit
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 23-11-2017 at 07:30 PM.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Atalanta are brilliant. That’s a proper wee team with a relative shoe string budget, punching way above their weight due to a brilliant collective and a great manager. Although to be fair Gomez is a wonderful player.

pen Atalanta, saved, keeper 2 yards off his line with the official standing watching it
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 23-11-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Atalanta are brilliant. That’s a proper wee team with a relative shoe string budget, punching way above their weight due to a brilliant collective and a great manager. Although to be fair Gomez is a wonderful player.
    They spent about £45m on players this season. Quite a decent shoestring to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    They spent about £45m on players this season. Quite a decent shoestring to be fair.
    Net spend of £3m. Biggest fee was £12m for de Roon, all other signings c£5m or less, for a team that finished in the European places in Serie A.

Compare their net spend and wages vs the top 10 in Italy, or their opponents tonight. As I said, wee team with a relative shoestring budget. Great to see.

0-2

Ha, the camera is bouncing along to the Atalanta fans signing and bouncing! They deserve a 3rd here, at least.

1-2 now, good goal by Sandro, to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Completely agree with your analysis.

I'd also add that as the resources have been ever more concentrated in a few top clubs, I think the football we are seeing from those very top clubs is of a higher standard than it used to be.

I think Peps Man City would most of the time comfortably beat Fergies Man Utd, or Arsenal's invincibles, for example. It doesn't mean I like the way footballs gone or that it's fair, but as a purist it's very impressive watching eleven players all of whom are the top three or four in their position in the world all playing together. I have to admit I really like watching the champions league, even if I don't agree with it.
    by the same token, you are admitting that it is so good to watch, that you can hardly resist doing so. that in itself tells me that you wont stop watching, however twisted you see the system has become. It is now all about TV companies driving the vehicle, and the finishing line is to maximise viewer numbers, not only in Europe, but also China,Far East, Malaysia etc. The Americas is probably the hardest nut still to crack for these companies like Sky, in football terms but we shall see. 10 years from now they'll have a world championship league. wait and see.

1-3, what a goal.

Edit, 1-4!

1-5, Everton are deid.

What is going on at Everton? Something is very wrong at that club just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post

Rodgers being obtuse here, IMO. They've been murdered yet again in the Champions League, but he gets arsey when asked about the formation. Yes they played world class opposition, but they're taking regular gubbings now. He's very self-satisfied when talking about another domestic game unbeaten though.
    first I've seen of the highlights but goodness gracious. the 5th and 7th goals were shocking from a Celtic point of view. there were seven defenders at each goal between the scorer and the posts . the 5th was worst, as they all virtually looked on as he scored.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    What is going on at Everton? Something is very wrong at that club just now.
    Pleasing :-)

But don't worry "The People" will still love them hahahahaha
    Last edited by Scouse Hibee; 23-11-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Pleasing :-)

But don't worry "The People" will still love them hahahahaha
    I liken you to the Jambos (of Liverpool)

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I liken you to the Jambos (of Liverpool)
    Nah wrong club, Everton are the friends of the jambo's and very much like them.