hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rodney Bewes RIP

Loved the Likely Lads way back when. The seemed very dated when I saw a re-run recently.
    I've never felt the same about them since I read that Bewes and Bolam didn't like each other.

"Dinny-Like-Ye Lads" would have been a better title.

As an anecdote, Bewes's on screen wife (Thelma) was of course Edinburger Brigit Forsyth.

2. Log in to remove the advert

A familiar face gone. I remember his role as Billy Liar's pal and workmate in the film of that name. It's a long time ago.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loved the Likely Lads way back when. The seemed very dated when I saw a re-run recently.
    I've never felt the same about them since I read that Bewes and Bolam didn't like each other.

As an anecdote, Bewes's on screen wife (Thelma) was of course Edinburger Brigit Forsyth.
    My mate got to meet Bewes after his festival show last year. Said he was an arrogant erse.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    My mate got to meet Bewes after his festival show last year. Said he was an arrogant erse.
    Maybe Bolam was the good guy after all.
    I always thought it was the other way round.

Maybe they were both bad guys? Actors are the supreme egotists after all. Or maybe we don't really know what we're talking about!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Maybe they were both bad guys? Actors are the supreme egotists after all. Or maybe we don't really know what we're talking about!
    I'll opt for the latter.

They fell out during the making of the Likely Lads film, as Bolam’s wife was pregnant, and they had chosen not to announce it. Bewes, knowing this or not, told a number of people about the pregnancy which upset Bolam, who refused to work with him again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    They fell out during the making of the Likely Lads film, as Bolam’s wife was pregnant, and they had chosen not to announce it. Bewes, knowing this or not, told a number of people about the pregnancy which upset Bolam, who refused to work with him again.
    That's very unLikely.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Refused to speak, not just work.

According to Bewes, Bolam's obsession about not discussing his private life led to the man the TV audiences loved as waster Terry Collier putting the phone down on him while he tried to apologise about a newspaper feature. It was an amusing little story linked to the birth of Bewes's triplet sons. While driving the car, Bolam's wife Sue (Jameson) told him: "Er, you know Daphne's (Bewes's wife) had three, well I'm just having the one'. Bolam drove up the pavement and narrowly missed a lamppost before recovering his composure.

"Was it that bad?" questions the Bingley-born lad who became loveable Bob Ferris for 12 glorious years.

Then he adds: "It was to someone like Bolam. I rang him back and he didn't answer the phone and I never spoke to him again. He never spoke to me again. It's been nearly 30 years.

The Likely Lads star James Bolam has denied a feud existed with his co-star Rodney Bewes, who died on Tuesday at the age of 79.

Bolam played the lovable sponger Terry Collier opposite Bewes’s Bob Ferris in the 1960s BBC sitcom and its 1970s sequel, and the pair did not speak for decades afterwards.

This was down to busy schedules rather than any resentment, the actor said. He told BBC Radio Sussex: “There was no fallout at all, as far as I was concerned.

“We worked together very happily and very well, enjoyed each other’s company and when we finished, we finished.

“This is what happens in acting. You work with people, you get to know them, you like them, we have a great time and the job finishes and you go off and it all starts again with other people and you can’t keep contact with everybody that you know.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    The Likely Lads star James Bolam has denied a feud existed with his co-star Rodney Bewes, who died on Tuesday at the age of 79.

Bolam played the lovable sponger Terry Collier opposite Bewes’s Bob Ferris in the 1960s BBC sitcom and its 1970s sequel, and the pair did not speak for decades afterwards.

This was down to busy schedules rather than any resentment, the actor said. He told BBC Radio Sussex: “There was no fallout at all, as far as I was concerned.

“We worked together very happily and very well, enjoyed each other’s company and when we finished, we finished.

“This is what happens in acting. You work with people, you get to know them, you like them, we have a great time and the job finishes and you go off and it all starts again with other people and you can’t keep contact with everybody that you know.

IIRC, one of them (I think it was Bewes) was on "This Is Your Life" and the other one was conspicuous by his absence. There wasn't even a film clip had work commitments been a problem. That to me spoke (and still speaks) volumes.
    I think Bolam's statement is a bit of a whitewash. Sad in a way because, if true, Bewes seemingly didn't see the situation that way. If untrue, he's trying to absolve himself now that his ex-colleague can't respond.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Or maybe he's just telling the truth.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    That's what I was saying (or trying to say), H.
    If Bolam is telling the truth, it's sad that Bewes felt that there was (still) a rift when there wasn't.
    If Bolam isn't telling the truth, it's sad that he's saying this now that Bewes can't refute it.

@hibs.net private member Deansy's Avatar

What a shame, it was a family-favourite !. It's sad that in real life the two of them never spoke again, personally I always think 'Life's too short' !

Have to admit to having 'Naughty thoughts' about Brigit Forsyth, though - as a young boy I thought she was sexy-as !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    We don't know nothing beyond idle press gossip and our own fantasies.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    If Bolam is telling the truth, it's sad that Bewes felt that there was (still) a rift when there wasn't.
    If Bolam isn't telling the truth, it's sad that he's saying this now that Bewes can't refute it.
    I've been a bit of a nomad all my life shifting from place to place every couple of years. I've met a lot of nice and interesting people but there's no way I could have kept contact with everyone I met and worked with.

I can't help get the feeling that Bewes maybe thought there was more to the relationship than there really was.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Nope.....although apparently true that Bolam wouldn't sign a waiver to allow any repeats to be shown which would have helped Bewes financially. Who knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Nope.....although apparently true that Bolam wouldn't sign a waiver to allow any repeats to be shown which would have helped Bewes financially. Who knows.
    'Nope' to Bolam is telling the truth or 'nope' to Bolam isn't telling the truth?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    'Nope' to Bolam is telling the truth or 'nope' to Bolam isn't telling the truth?
    Sorry.....poor first word.....i was actually agreeing with you ! Not convinced by Bolam but we'll never know.