hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

American Visitor: Match Day Activities/Pregame/Things to Do

Hello, my apologies if this topic has been covered a bunch before! I’ll be visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh with some buddies of mine, we’ll be in from Dec 25th to January 2nd. We’re planning on attending the Hibs vs. Kilmarnock match on December 30th and were wondering if there was anything in particular we should do on match day?

Any pregame/postgame bars we should hit up? Anything at all that you think we should know about gameday would be fantastic. If it helps, we’re in our mid-20s and are from Chicago. We’re all big sports fans and like to drink! Thanks in advance!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by skeldin2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello, my apologies if this topic has been covered a bunch before! I’ll be visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh with some buddies of mine, we’ll be in from Dec 25th to January 2nd. We’re planning on attending the Hibs vs. Kilmarnock match on December 30th and were wondering if there was anything in particular we should do on match day?

Any pregame/postgame bars we should hit up? Anything at all that you think we should know about gameday would be fantastic. If it helps, we’re in our mid-20s and are from Chicago. We’re all big sports fans and like to drink! Thanks in advance!
    You have a wide range of pubs to choose from all within a 10 minute walking distance of Easter Road.

I would encourage you to get there quite early though as they fill up fast. I would say no later than around 1pm.

@hibs.net private member hibbymac's Avatar

Welcome

The Hibs supporters club is worth a try, cheap drink, food available, opens around 11am, starts getting busy 12 midday, its usually members only on match day but if you emailed them I'm sure you'll be made welcome.

Link here - http://hibsclub.co.uk
    " Whatever the future may hold, Fans of this unique club will stand firm in Hibernians corner. Yes, united they stand, those wonderful supporters and The greatest football club on earth, " - Hibernian F.C. The team that wouldn't die. Click here

Welcome to the board.

There are a lot of bars around Easter Road that will be busy on match day. Most of them are nothing fancy and are just good old fashioned Scottish pubs that cater to the football crowds and locals. A few that will be busy with Hibs fans are Tamsons, the Iona, The Office and The Four In Hand on Easter Road itself. You also have the Mash Tun which is a different style and offers food and a wider range of beers which is also on Easter Road. Slightly further afield there is Robbies, The Windsor, and The Harp & Castle on Leith Walk, these again are quite traditional pubs and about 10 minutes walk from the stadium. About the same distance away are bars like The Tourmelet and Joseph Pearces, both are again a different style of bar and at least one of them doesn't allow football colours. Get down early on, try a few of them and find somewhere you like would be my advice.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Thank you all, appreciate the help! Really looking forward to it!

You arrive on Dec 25th?
    Are your mates called Dancer, Prancer, Donner & Blitzen?
    You’re not Santa are you?

Seriously though, where you end up just before the game might depend on where you are staying. What hotel/guest house are you at? Might allow us to give you a pub crawl itinerary moving towards Easter Road or more definite pubs to head for if you’re happy just going to one or two pubs.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    whenever i see Chicago mentioned i always think of Al & Peggy Bundy.....and of course the Adorable Kelly :)
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 20-11-2017 at 12:51 AM.

A few helpful phrases which will help you fit in.

I went 'raj' ..... I got very angry
    He / She is a 'raj' ..... A person to be avoided, almost certainly violent
    That's totally 'shan' ..... not at all good, in fact very very bad
    That was 'Barry' ..... very very good
    Its 'Baltic' .... its very very cold

Inside the stadium:

How the 'expletive' was that 'expletive' offside !!!
    Oh for 'expletive' sake, how the 'expletive' could he miss the 'expletive' goal from there !!!
    £5 for a pie and a beefy drink???
    Did you see that challenge? ... he 'expletive' shat it.
    There are many more ... you can practice with the following short exercise:

I'm gonna go raj, £5 for a pie and a beefy drink is just shan, but I'll still buy them because its Baltic in here and the last pie I had at a football match was Barry.

Enjoy the game

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    A few helpful phrases which will help you fit in.

I went 'raj' ..... I got very angry
    He / She is a 'raj' ..... A person to be avoided, almost certainly violent
    That's totally 'shan' ..... not at all good, in fact very very bad
    That was 'Barry' ..... very very good
    Its 'Baltic' .... its very very cold

Inside the stadium:

How the 'expletive' was that 'expletive' offside !!!
    Oh for 'expletive' sake, how the 'expletive' could he miss the 'expletive' goal from there !!!
    £5 for a pie and a beefy drink???
    Did you see that challenge? ... he 'expletive' shat it.
    There are many more ... you can practice with the following short exercise:

I'm gonna go raj, £5 for a pie and a beefy drink is just shan, but I'll still buy them because its Baltic in here and the last pie I had at a football match was Barry.

Enjoy the game

A 'beefy drink'?

@hibs.net private member Jack Hackett's Avatar
    Bovril... Google it.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A 'beefy drink'?
    Bovril?

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    A 'beefy drink'?
    You must be one of the prawn sandwich brigade

Left by mutual consent!

As you're coming Christmas-New Year week, I'd switch from 'Like to drink' to 'Have to drink 24/7' NOW to help you and your buddies acclimatise !. Aside from that - have a ball !!

We seem to be getting a lot of American visitors lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    As you're coming Christmas-New Year week, I'd switch from 'Like to drink' to 'Have to drink 24/7' NOW to help you and your buddies acclimatise !. Aside from that - have a ball !!
    Shouldn’t be a problem! Can’t wait for it. We’ll be staying at the Premier Inn on the Royal Mile.

Shouldn’t be a problem! Can’t wait for it. We’ll be staying at the Premier Inn on the Royal Mile.
    You'll be able to jump on the no.300 bus on The Royal Mile that takes in the length of Easter Road as part of its route.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    You'll be able to jump on the no.300 bus on The Royal Mile that takes in the length of Easter Road as part of its route.
    Don't you mean the 35 mate?

Left by mutual consent!
    Maybe Hutchie's thinking about about the 200 or 300 us Hi bees that used to get attacked coming out onto Gorgie Road under the bridge there by the maroon pigs. Mind you we always gave as good as we got.

Left by mutual consent!
    No the 300 is the new Airport link bus that goes to ocean terminal from Airport and back (I think) 35 goes a completely different way now.

@hibs.net private member tanfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    No the 300 is the new Airport link bus that goes to ocean terminal from Airport and back (I think) 35 goes a completely different way now.
    The 35 doesn't run anymore IIRC. The 300 effectively is its replacement.

It might be advisable reminding your 'buddies' not to wear any colours that look anything like maroon. It's a bogging colour, I'm sure that you'll admit.

Better still, pop down to the Hibs shop at Easter Road Stadium early and buy yourself some Hibernian merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    Ah .. thanks folks, haven't been on the 35 since the summer, wasn't aware it had been replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    We seem to be getting a lot of American visitors lately.
    Undoubtedly because we are by far and away the coolest football club on the planet.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    If you're in The Office feel free to introduce yourselves and get a round in
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Quote Originally Posted by tanfield View Post
    Correct.

Nameless
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Undoubtedly because we are by far and away the coolest football club on the planet.
    I blame the Hipster element of our support (you know who you are)! It used to be painful to follow Hibs, now it's all offbeat and alternative, almost trendy - bloody glory hunters... I miss the Williamson era. If Hibs ever start selling drinkable coffee, I'm finished!!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Hi there mate.

Where about in Chicago you guys from? Top city. My old man has been living in Elgin IL for the last 6/7 years so I was over there in June. Went to the Cubs-Padres match at Wrigley and had a few pre match drinks in the Cubby Bear etc. Good sing song!

Like others have mentioned we aren’t short of places to drink near our stadium either. Nothing quite the same size of the Cubby Bear and unfortunately we are not allowed to drink alcohol inside our stadiums....apparently football fans can’t be trusted in Scotland 😬...but you can’t go wrong staying on Easter Road or Leith Walk.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you see the right result 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by WHAM View Post
    Hi there mate.

Where about in Chicago you guys from? Top city. My old man has been living in Elgin IL for the last 6/7 years so I was over there in June. Went to the Cubs-Padres match at Wrigley and had a few pre match drinks in the Cubby Bear etc. Good sing song!

Like others have mentioned we aren’t short of places to drink near our stadium either. Nothing quite the same size of the Cubby Bear and unfortunately we are not allowed to drink alcohol inside our stadiums....apparently football fans can’t be trusted in Scotland 😬...but you can’t go wrong staying on Easter Road or Leith Walk.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you see the right result 👍🏼
    Born and raised in Oak Park-River Forest, about a 15 minute drive from the Loop and 45 minutes away from Elgin. We’re mostly known for being the hometown of Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright. Currently reside in Champaign, IL though, the home of the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. Appreciate the insight! Any idea when single-match tickets are expected to go on-sale?

Born and raised in Oak Park-River Forest, about a 15 minute drive from the Loop and 45 minutes away from Elgin. We’re mostly known for being the hometown of Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright. Currently reside in Champaign, IL though, the home of the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. Appreciate the insight! Any idea when single-match tickets are expected to go on-sale?
    That's rather unfortunate.

- An American poster

Quote Originally Posted by NYHibby View Post
    That's rather unfortunate.

- An American poster
    Have had some tough years in both revenue sports haha, but I think the future’s bright for both!