hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thomson

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Boyle (who was in an offside position) gained an advantage by the ball deflecting off a match official...offside, imo, was the correct decision

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebakerboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the stuck on pen when the no6 had 2 hands over Stokes shoulders and pulled him down in box , he still touched the ball but not as he would have done if not pulled back.
    Was that the big shout from the East/FF?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    That was never ever a corner

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    It was a corner. Im bang in line with the goal-line ans rocky collected it in play (just) and his momentum took him
    Correct decision.

Also, direction of any pass is irrelevant for offside. The ref has no status on the pitch when it comes to the ball. It hitting him again is irrelevant
    Boyle would have had to have been offside when the ball was initially played.
    Thomson is a Grade A welt, but he did ok yesterday

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I thought St Johnstone has as much to be aggreived at him as we did. He didn't have a shocking game but he wasn't great, and was equally bad for both teams imho.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Promising Youngster
    Didnt think CT had the worst of games, I expected a lot worse!! We were too far away to judge the panalty calls but other than those I didnt think he was all that bad. As I say expected worse.

@hibs.net private member
    Thought he was fine tbh. St Johnstone and their players on the other hand should be embarrassed at the time wasting and pathetic celebrations after their goals.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Was that the big shout from the East/FF?

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    I've never really thought of Thomson as natural. A hazard, sure....

Tbh, by that time all my faculties had shut down through cold.... so wtf knows?

So it wasn't just me then?

It was bl**dy cold yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    It was a corner. Im bang in line with the goal-line ans rocky collected it in play (just) and his momentum took him
    Correct decision.

Also, direction of any pass is irrelevant for offside.
    The ref has no status on the pitch when it comes to the ball. It hitting him again is irrelevant
    Boyle would have had to have been offside when the ball was initially played.
    Thomson is a Grade A welt, but he did ok yesterday

Not true, it has to be a forward pass.

Testimonial Due
    I thought he was abysmal, tbh.

St Johnstone players stood in front of every Hibs free kick, not even pretending to be looking to retreat. He just let that happen without so much of a word.

Twice pulled o’halloran up for diving without yellow cards ( I don’t know if they were dives or not but the referee had called them as dives) He then booked him for an elbow which would have seen him sent off.

The stokes penalty looked as stonewall as you can get from the east at that end.

The offside penalty: i need to see again because I’m not sure if Boyle was in an offside position when the Hibs player played the ball. Clearly was after Thomson’s intervention but that’s not the point that matters.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I thought he was fine yesterday, as he has been most of the time in the last five years since that game. He’s still a jambo welt though.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Not true, it has to be a forward pass.
    Sorry mate, youre 100% incorrect on this one. The player needs to be ahead of the ball, the balls direction is not a factor. Think of this scenario: An attacker is in an offside position on the penalry spot. A winger is on the edge of the box, and mis-hits a pass so its goes marginally backward along the 18 yard line
    Striker runs back to collect the ball. He is offside.
    Ive been a ref for 25 years so am on pretty solid ground with this one - not the first time someone has thought this!!
    Last edited by Ozymandias; 19-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.

I thought when first seen it that it was onside due to being played backwards and then hitting off thomson (he’s not on our side so would be fine just like if it came off an opponent)

Watched it on alba and rewound a few times... McGeough’s ball is slightly forward - offside.

From what the resident ref is saying above, it seems the direction of the ball may be irrelevant anyway!

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that whenever we are sheite, the refs are sheite too?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    I thought when first seen it that it was onside due to being played backwards and then hitting off thomson (he’s not on our side so would be fine just like if it came off an opponent)

Watched it on alba and rewound a few times... McGeough’s ball is slightly forward - offside.

From what the resident ref is saying above, it seems the direction of the ball may be irrelevant anyway!
    From Wikipedia:
    "Offside is an offence committed by the team which has the ball and is punished with an indirect free kick. It is a common misconception that the ball must be played forward for an offside offence to be committed. This is incorrect however, as an offside offence is related to the position of the player in relation to the last two opponents, the ball and the opponent's goal line rather than the direction the ball is played. If the player is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent when it is played by a team mate, she or he is in an offside position."

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    From Wikipedia:
    "Offside is an offence committed by the team which has the ball and is punished with an indirect free kick. It is a common misconception that the ball must be played forward for an offside offence to be committed. This is incorrect however, as an offside offence is related to the position of the player in relation to the last two opponents, the ball and the opponent's goal line rather than the direction the ball is played. If the player is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent when it is played by a team mate, she or he is in an offside position."
    I was believing you first time round anyway mate - makes sense to me.

O'halloran dived twice one on edge of the box, and Thomson gave no free-kick and he got booked for a seperate incident so if consistency exists for simulation equalling warning and/or booking then O'Halloran should have got a second yellow ..!! Davidson should have been booked for persistent fouling and if not.persistent for the challenge on Boyle where he stepped across and caught him waist high withhis knee ... he also allowed their players to stop quick free kicks and also twice they stopped Rocky distributing the ballearly ...apart from that and Hanlon getting pulled over ..he was fine ...😲🙇

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that whenever we are sheite, the refs are sheite too?
    Not only this. The Laws of the Game are roundly discussed on such sheite occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    I've noticed this too! Been like that for years! Must be a co-incidence! 😉

An earlier post said Thomson is retiring next season. If so, good riddance.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    I thought he was abysmal, tbh.

St Johnstone players stood in front of every Hibs free kick, not even pretending to be looking to retreat. He just let that happen without so much of a word.

Twice pulled o’halloran up for diving without yellow cards ( I don’t know if they were dives or not but the referee had called them as dives) He then booked him for an elbow which would have seen him sent off.

The stokes penalty looked as stonewall as you can get from the east at that end.

The offside penalty: i need to see again because I’m not sure if Boyle was in an offside position when the Hibs player played the ball. Clearly was after Thomson’s intervention but that’s not the point that matters.
    The allowing of their players to stop the game at free kicks and not book anyone was a joke. Pointing st his watch doesn't cut it when teams are able to get back in shape when the other team wants to play quick.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaimendhibs View Post
    That was never ever a corner

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Actually it was. We were right in line with the FF goal line.
    Rocky caught the ball in play and swung his arm back and the whole ball definitely was over the line. A corner was the correct decision it pains me to say.