hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

My Life in five songs

A few years ago, Phil Cunningham had a programme on the Radio where celebrities chose five songs which were milestones in their lives. What are yours and why?

Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley. My first ever purchased 78 rpm single.
    Love Me Do - The Beatles. Changed the course of music forever.
    Hotel California - The Eagles. Outwith the Beatles, my favourite group of all time.
    Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty. My favourite singer/songwriter of all time.
    Edina - Blue Rose Code. My new and current love affair with their music.

Ps. I think Ken Bruce does the same now on his Radio 2 show.
    Last edited by Jim44; 17-11-2017 at 11:17 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bruce Hornsby and the range - The way it is
    My first “favourite song”. Still love it.

Nirvana - Drain you.
    Listened to Nevermind for the first time and it was round about this song where I was convinced that this was the best album I’ve ever heard. It was unacceptable to tell my mates at the time though as we were all ravers. Found out years later that they loved it too. :-D

Oasis - Some might say.
    Favourite Oasis song and was the part of the soundtrack when I used to dress up in Burburry shirts and swagger about with a Beatles haircut. Don’t judge, everyone did it.

Verve - Sonnet
    Mate got murdered about 20 years ago and the pub we used to mooch around in had this, and other Urban hymns songs on constantly around that time. I think they only had MTV. This one sticks in the mind for some reason.

The View - Superstar tradesman
    Probably my favourite track of that era about ten years ago when loads of young British bands picked up guitars. It’s significant because I don’t think there’s been any significant musical movement that I like since then.

Dexys Geno about 12-13 1st time seen just guys up dancing in big circle all the guys who were new mods and ska guys would all get up to it get the evil eye from the rockers

U2 1st band I was really in to anything from Joshua tree or before, before they believed they hype and sold out in my opinion

Bad company by bad company 1st really listened to them mid 90’s while working the bars in Kos. Paul Rodgers got to be 1 of the best rock singers there’s been.

Moby why does my heart was never a big dancy kind of guy but went to moby at the castle auld years nite 99 I think it was absolutely blew me away still 1 of my best gigs, and ave been to hundreds done T 15 years straight w/Enders and seen some top bands when T was worth going but moby was class but it was the woman singer who stared a woman called Diane. Charlemagne what a voice also sang on goldies inner city life and with the urban cookie collective what voice. She sadly passed away 2 years ago from the Big c what a talent sadly missed.

Stereophonics take your pick from 1st 3 albums my fav band by far, will plump for there1st single I think, the bartender and the thief nothing more needs said

Will finish with James getting away with it pure class and a top live band.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    Kings of wild frontier- Adam & the ants. First album I ever bought, loved the rhythm and sound...made me get into music for the first real time. They soon broke through and became "too poppy" for my teenage views, but it triggered a lifelong passion for music and it will always be a big record for me

Echo & the bunnymen - Rescue. The first band I truly loved...their first album caught my imagination, and I ended up following them all over the country as a 16 year old...a memorable gig in Dunfermline ended after the last train and bus home - parents were not too impressed when I arrived home to Leith in a taxi !

Duke Browner Crying over you - some friends introduced me to Northern Soul in the early eighties and it became my weekend activity..Hibs game finishes and I was off to Leicester, Stafford, Hinckley, or nearer home in Glenrothes to hear the best and rarest of obscure 60s/70s R&B soul music...ignited a life long passion for vinyl which I still collect today...this song reminds me of this nights and youthful energy and passion for great music, with great people

Bobby Womack love has finally come at last - saw him live at the playhouse after bringing out the Poet 2 album, was one of the finest two hours of my life...a voice, a talent and a soul that stays with me for ever

Grandmaster Flash - The Message. First actual hip hop tune I had ever heard...felt so different and fresh - blew me away and have followed the genre ever since...defining tune which took me into my clubbing days

Good thread.

She's Electrcic - Oasis. What's the Story? Was the first album I bought and this was my favourite song on it then and now. It seems to have followed me through most of my life since (probably because I've stuck it on if I get the chance) and I can't hear the first few bars without smiling.

Sunshine on Leith - The Proclaimers. Hardly original. However following Hibs has taken up more of my 'spare' time than pretty much anything else in my adult life so so it has to be there. It's a perfect song and it's ours.

Jolene - The White Stripes. One of the best covers ever imo. It means a lot to me because they played this when I went to see them live with a good friend of mine who is sadly no longer with us.

Anemone - The Brian Jonestown Massacre. I was obsessed with BJM for years and this song is a brilliant piece from a brilliant album. Easily one of the best bands of the 90s and 00s.

D.I.S.C.O - Ottawan. Terrible song really but I sing it to my daughter and change the letters to spell out her name and she always breaks into a great big smile that melts my heart so it's on the list.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    She Loves You - The Beatles. First record I remember asking my Mum to buy me. I was 5.

Starman - David Bowie. I hadn't heard anything like this before and just played it to death.

Anarchy In The UK - Sex Pistols. This was the moment when punk blew everything away.

I Am The Resurrection - The Stone Roses. The 80s were turning into such a dire period for music then this came along and turned everything round again. Epic.

Don't Look Back In Anger - Oasis. Timeless classic and I never thought I'd ever pay £220 for 2 tickets to see anyone but seeing Noel doing this last year was well worth it.

Of course it could all change in 5 minutes once I have a proper think about it!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    James - Sound. This was probably the first song I genuinely loved and set me up with a love of the band that still persists today.

Oasis - Rock n Roll Star. This song was a game changer for me along with the release of Definitely Maybe and the Britpop explosion, which will be the same for many people my age. If ever a song could give someone a bit of swagger, it was this one.

Belle and Sebastian -Lazy Line Painter Jane. I remember the first time I heard this song, which was in the Egg at the Wee Red Bar. The lyrics and the build up of the instruments were brilliant and I had found another band that I connected with.

Radiohead - Paranoid Android. I don't think this is their best song but this one was the first that made me listen to music differently as it wasn't a traditional rock song, it's long, it changes style - it's brilliant.

Going to go for Sunshine on Leith as well. Hibs are a huge part of my life and the song is inextricably linked with Hibs. The renditions in 07 and 16 at Hampden will live with me till I die.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    In the Ghetto Elvis-My mother was a huge Elvis fan and tended to be drawn to his darker stuff after her divorce. Also I grew up in the ****hole that Wallyford was in the early 70's.

https://youtu.be/2Ox1Tore9nw

Gotta gettaway, Stiff Little Fingers-The attraction of getting away from post Thatcher Scotland was too great to resist and I was off at the first chance I got when I was old enough to join the army.

https://youtu.be/_uDLjxyZGI0

Shout, Tears for Fears-Was huge in the German Clubs when I arrived over there and started clubbing on the German scene and I certainly did let it all out.

https://youtu.be/Ye7FKc1JQe4

Galvanize, The Chemical Brothers-Although the 90's in Berlin were probably Germany's equivalent to London's Swinging 60's, I think this track sums up the buzz that was Berlin in the 90's, even though it wasn't produced until 2004 and has nothing to do with Berlin. Somehow when I hear it, it just takes me back to the 90's

https://youtu.be/Xu3FTEmN-eg

Deine Augen machen bling bling, Seed-Just love the feel of this track that incorporates a little reggae, indie, hip-hop and dance. Although the club scene here is well past it's heyday in post cold war Berlin's derelict factories and city centre cellars and bunkers, this track epitomizes the melting pot that Berlin has become.

https://youtu.be/qttGJ3il62Y

Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife. Our dad would sing it with any band that would play it and my family all love this song. When I hear it I still want to get up and sing it with the band.

Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now or There is a Light That Never Goes Out. Favourite band along with the Pistols.

Maria Callas - Vissi D'Arti. - There is a recording from around 1952/53 where she nails it. Some think she was not very accurate, some think her gestures on stage were crude. But many, including myself, feel she elevated the music above the 'purer' but somewhat prosaic performances.

Airiel - In Your Room I suppose this is classed as 'Shoegaze' music. I however have never felt the need to gaze down at my feet.

Sinatra - Night And Day (1957) Hast to be this version, not the earlier crooning mush. Sinatra at his best, singing Cole Porter, with the Nelson Riddle orchestra. It doesn't get any better. Although his 1965 St Louis concert, for the hoodlum priest, with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis he was absolutely brilliant.

But as others have said, by the time I post this there are a hundred other songs jumping in and falling out of the top 5 every day :)

Quote Originally Posted by SanFranHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobby Darin - Mack The Knife. Our dad would sing it with any band that would play it and my family all love this song. When I hear it I still want to get up and sing it with the band.

Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now or There is a Light That Never Goes Out. Favourite band along with the Pistols.

Maria Callas - Vissi D'Arti. - There is a recording from around 1952/53 where she nails it. Some think she was not very accurate, some think her gestures on stage were crude. But many, including myself, feel she elevated the music above the 'purer' but somewhat prosaic performances.

Airiel - In Your Room I suppose this is classed as 'Shoegaze' music. I however have never felt the need to gaze down at my feet.

Sinatra - Night And Day (1957) Hast to be this version, not the earlier crooning mush. Sinatra at his best, singing Cole Porter, with the Nelson Riddle orchestra. It doesn't get any better. Although his 1965 St Louis concert, for the hoodlum priest, with Dean Martin and Sammy Davis he was absolutely brilliant.

But as others have said, by the time I post this there are a hundred other songs jumping in and falling out of the top 5 every day :)
    Sinatra live at the Sands with Count Basie is also a winner. Will try to pick 5 and post later

Paul Simon-Still Crazy after all these years. Was playing all the time in the house when I was very young growing up. Could be a number of songs off that album really but the title track just takes me back, like Ego the restaurant critic tasting Remys ratatouille.

New Order-Blue Monday. First record I bought myself. Biggest selling 12inch single of all time and changed British music forever.

Tracy Chapman-Fast Car. Soundtrack to a great American road trip.

Flowered Up-Weekender. If you remember it you weren't really there. Good times

Bruce Springsteen-Pony Boy. Not the finest song ever, but an important lullaby for junior.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Runaway - Del Shannon
    Please Please Me - Beatles
    Night & Day - Frank Sinatra
    The Blue Danube - Johann Strauss
    Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

All were gateways into new musical adventures for me.
    Last edited by snooky; 18-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Good thread and great reading the replies. Mines are more based on my music taste rather than milestones like "first dance at my wedding" type stuff.

1. Help - The Beatles. Grew up listening to lots of Beatles and Beach Boys but I remember my Mum had a VHS copy of the Help film that was on regularly and I could pick any song from that. Kicked off a lifelong Beatles obsession.

2. Whatever - Oasis. No surprise then that I got into Oasis as a 14 year old off the back of one of their most Beatles sounding tunes. Or Rutles sounding if you know about the lawsuit over this track! Only had to wait a year to see them live at Ingliston and followed them all over for the next 15 years and to this day. As you were!

3. Death on the Stairs - The Libertines. Oasis were probably at their lowest point around 2002 and whilst I still enjoyed it at the time, Heathen Chemistry was a tired sound, compared to The Strokes who really changed the landscape in the UK. They paved the way for the Libertines and this raw and far more authentic lyrical approach totally had me. A great time but wished I'd been down in London to get to some of the Albion Room gigs and really see that scene take off.

4. Cornerstone - Arctic Monkeys. People might think he's become a bit of a bellend but Alex Turner is as good a lyricist as anyone in my mind. Cornerstone is right up there but across 5 Monkeys albums and 2 from TLSP his output in 12 years is pretty untouchable. People don't realise how prolific he is. To quote an article a year or so back
    "To date, he’s had almost 150 songs published since 2005, including the two LSP albums, which is substantially closer to the number held by Lennon & McCartney in their Beatles prime (180 collectively) than Noel Gallagher (88) or Radiohead (96) ever managed in their first decade."

5. The Night - Frankie Valli. In my 30s I've gotten quite into Northern Soul and this tune is right up there for me. Love hearing stories from folk of different eras who went to the all nighters and weekends down south to hear this music.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

Duke Browner Crying over you - some friends introduced me to Northern Soul in the early eighties and it became my weekend activity..Hibs game finishes and I was off to Leicester, Stafford, Hinckley, or nearer home in Glenrothes to hear the best and rarest of obscure 60s/70s R&B soul music...ignited a life long passion for vinyl which I still collect today...this song reminds me of this nights and youthful energy and passion for great music, with great people

What would your top 5 northern soul tunes be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    What exactly is northern soul?anyone give me some pointers? I've heard about the scene but never really understood it, if quite like to listen to some of it.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I took part in Steve Lamacq and Robin Ince's "Music Profiler" feature on BBC 6Music last year, picked these tunes (didn't put in SoL because it was too obvious)

Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes - Paul Simon. Reminds me of going on road trips and holidays in our old clapped out Lada or Volvo with my parents when I was little with that being played on the radio.

There's Glory In Your Story - Idlewild. I love b-sides and I've seen Idlewild seventeen times - this song made me realise that the cassette single was worth flipping over once you've heard the main song.

Design for Life - Manic Street Preachers. I love poetry and Nicky Wire's lyrics are just stunning. Made me realise how meaningful guitar music can be whilst retaining an anthemic status.

Bone Machine - Pixies. Absolutely adored the Pixies when I was at college and Uni, nearly flew to the US for a couple of nights to see them when they reformed before they announced UK dates. Love how broken the song sounds.

First Big Weekend - Arab Strap. Music that you can dance to, sounds of a certain place and time, one of my favourite reformations in recent years as well.

They thought I was a 36 year old female book shop owner from the New Forest

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    They thought I was a 36 year old female book shop owner from the New Forest
    Which translates as Robin Ince thinks yer tunes are pish

Wonderwall - I dislike that it’s in this list as it’s become a cliche and not one of my favourites. But for this purpose, it’s the first popular song I remember really falling for.

Let it loose (Rolling Stones) - remains my favourite song

You know I’m no good (Amy winehouse) - took me long enough to appreciate just what a beautiful talent she was.

Cryin’ (aerosmith) - brought about a serious Alicia silverstone crush (music video)

What took you so long (courteeners) - from the album and band I would go on to obsess over since hearing this.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Which translates as Robin Ince thinks yer tunes are pish
    Lammo appreciated my swag

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Five life songs eh? Very difficult to narrow it down to 5.
    So, I’ll approach it slightly differently if that’s OK.
    Top 5 best live concert opening songs that I’ve witnessed over the years - roughly in chronological order.

Burn by Deep Purple - Purple were the first band I really got into in a big way. Their concert at the Odeon in ‘74 kicked off with this. My throat is still recovering from inhaling the dry ice from the stage in the front row.

Caroline by Status Quo - Have always been a fan and while a lot of their stuff is the same 3 chord formula, the start of their live set with this just sets the tone for the rest of the show.

With a Little Help from my Friends by Joe Cocker - Slight cheat here. Not a show opener but the best “classic song” I’ve ever seen played live. An all day concert at Parkhead mid ‘80s. Joe was 3rd headliner behind Rod Stewart & Status Quo. A great song that Cocker made his own and the version his band played that day - just immense.

American Idiot by Green Day - the ultimate protest song. Angry words. Angry vocal. Angry guitars.

Psycho by Muse - this band are an acquired taste. Saw them last year. For a 3 piece band they put on a great show both musically and visually.

Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Five life songs eh? Very difficult to narrow it down to 5.
    So, I’ll approach it slightly differently if that’s OK.
    Top 5 best live concert opening songs that I’ve witnessed over the years - roughly in chronological order.
    Are you a politician by any chance? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Are you a politician by any chance? :-)
    Nah. I’m far too honest!!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    What exactly is northern soul?anyone give me some pointers? I've heard about the scene but never really understood it, if quite like to listen to some of it.
    For ease of explanation it’s 60s black American soul Music that grew to prominence across the UK in the 70s and remains an active still
    Daily underground music and dance scene today ...

There is a film “northern Soul “ that was on Netflix at one point which gives a sense of the music and the scene ...

Check out the soundtrack which has a great set of tunes from the scene

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    TD. That deserves some serious respect
    - I’ll get back to you ...it will include Eddie Parker, I’m Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    I see Bigwheel has already replied. I would recommend that film too, simply called Northern Soul, think it's widely thought to be a pretty authentic
    view of the scene. Pretty sure it's on Netflix

If you're on Spotify there will be a ton of Northern Soul playlists if you wanted an entry point.

Can't multi quote but thanks to bigwheel and Tyler burden for the replies listened to northern soul album on Deezer earlier was pretty decent I did know a few of the songs and artists.I'll try and watch the documentary on netflix during the week. Any particular artists or songs you guys can recommend would be great as well.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Difficult one this.

The first album I bought was the Police, Regatta de Blanc, but it doesn't make it into my 5.

1. OMD - Julia's Song. My favourite favourite group during my teenage years - I hardly missed a concert between the Playhouse and the Apollo.

2. Moving Hearts - The Storm. The album that helped me realise that there was more to trad music than bearded vegetarians in Aran jumpers.

3. David Bowie - Changes. He has to be in here somewhere, though almost impossible to pick a particular song.

4. Oasis - Don't Look Back in Anger. Coincided with a period where I was between wives, under 30, was earning decentish money - the world was my oxter.

5. Rolling Stones - You Can't Always Get What You Want. I came late to the rolling stones but this is timeless - it's almost 50 years old FFS!

Some great songs above

Bob Marley - Could You Be Loved. Don’t know how I got into Bob more than 30 years ago, remember getting ripped at school for liking his music probably only getting a nod of approval from the metal heads I’m not really a reggae fan but even now I love his music. Legend is an understatement.

Bassomatic - Facinating Rhythm. Remember getting into dance and this song was getting played in the clubs still hear it occasionally on 6music still sounds amazing.

Guns N Roses - Paradise City. Huge part of my life this band start of a amazing time in my life just great memories.

Nirvana - Breed. As above had to have a Nirvana track love the energy of this one.

Inxs - Taste it. Just love this song and band had a man crush(probably still do!) on Hutchence proper rock star.

Music is a huge part of my life could add so many more.

@hibs.net private member

My Life in five songs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    TD. That deserves some serious respect
    - I’ll get back to you ...it will include Eddie Parker, I’m Gone.
    Ok TD. Here goes - a few points. Firstly I reserve the right to change them ..and I’ve tried to think about those that remind me of my times, rather than the perfect record. Find it almost impossible to leave it to five. So have listed my favourites from my time in the scene.

5. Tommy Navarro. I cried my life away - huge tune played by Guy Hennigan - eventually got my hands on a decent copy a few years ago. Still love it every time I hear it and can still recall being blown away first time I heard it.

4. Crying over you Duke Browner. - reminds me of my early all-nighters. Magic soul record

3. Gwen Owens. Just say you’re wanted. Heard it for first time at a Leicester night..have wanted an original copy ever since. Still in my discos wantlist. Outstanding female vocal

2. Frankie Beverly if that’s what you wanted. Just pure brilliance

1. Eddie Parker - gritty , heart wrenching vocals with outstanding drum breaks. Reminds me of 4am dancing with 1000 other soulies. One of the top tunes of all time

Ps. Here is a link to a northern soul playlist from a thread I put on her a couple of years ago

https://www.mixcloud.com/Hibssoul/hi...t-season-1516/
    Last edited by bigwheel; 19-11-2017 at 10:11 PM.

really tough to choose and no particular order;

1. Sunshine on Leith. hibs first, last and always. 07 and 16. that's all.

2. Don't look back in Anger. huge Oasis fan, when they played it live it was probably the most incredible thing at any gig I had been at. I moved to Manchester in April and since then, given the. events of the summer here, it's taken on a new role. Its just timeless.

3. Changes - Bowie. Huge Bowie fan and this is one of my favourite songs and my favourite Bowie track. I was in the car when it came on the radio he had died and they played this right after. Always sticks in my mind.

4. Ordinary World - Duran Duran. I'm not a DD fan but my Mum's Dad loved music and I was really close to him. He was a bit of a Duran Duran fan and towards the end of his battle with Alzheimer's, this track playing was one of the few things that brought a smile to his face. Played it at his funeral and it makes me think of him everytime I hear it.

5. Florescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys. As others have said; Alex Turner is a fantastic lyricist. They aren't one of my top 5 bands, but this song reminds me of Uni and just an era of growing up and finding who I was. Good memories.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk