hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    really tough to choose and no particular order;

1. Sunshine on Leith. hibs first, last and always. 07 and 16. that's all.

2. Don't look back in Anger. huge Oasis fan, when they played it live it was probably the most incredible thing at any gig I had been at. I moved to Manchester in April and since then, given the. events of the summer here, it's taken on a new role. Its just timeless.

3. Changes - Bowie. Huge Bowie fan and this is one of my favourite songs and my favourite Bowie track. I was in the car when it came on the radio he had died and they played this right after. Always sticks in my mind.

4. Ordinary World - Duran Duran. I'm not a DD fan but my Mum's Dad loved music and I was really close to him. He was a bit of a Duran Duran fan and towards the end of his battle with Alzheimer's, this track playing was one of the few things that brought a smile to his face. Played it at his funeral and it makes me think of him everytime I hear it.

5. Florescent Adolescent - Arctic Monkeys. As others have said; Alex Turner is a fantastic lyricist. They aren't one of my top 5 bands, but this song reminds me of Uni and just an era of growing up and finding who I was. Good memories.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No.5 is a belter good choice my friend...good choice.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Ok TD. Here goes - a few points. Firstly I reserve the right to change them ..and I’ve tried to think about those that remind me of my times, rather than the perfect record. Find it almost impossible to leave it to five. So have listed my favourites from my time in the scene

Ps. Here is a link to a northern soul playlist from a thread I put on her a couple of years ago

https://www.mixcloud.com/Hibssoul/hi...t-season-1516/
    Brilliant stuff thanks, I will need to check these out.

I've been to half a dozen soul nights over the past few years but my knowledge has been pretty limited to some of the big compilations and a few other recommendations on Twitter and social media.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    No.5 is a belter good choice my friend...good choice.
    Belter ..... great word, reminded me of this - https://youtu.be/qXpV9LMND-I

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Brilliant stuff thanks, I will need to check these out.

I've been to half a dozen soul nights over the past few years but my knowledge has been pretty limited to some of the big compilations and a few other recommendations on Twitter and social media.
    TD. Over the weekend I’ll drop you a PM with some sites and resources to access Lots of norther soul Sounds and material. ✊️
    A couple of starter points.

Soulsource is the forum for soul “chat”

And solar radio 12-1pm on Sunday lunchtime has Richard Searling northern soul radio show. Great quality

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    Belter ..... great word, reminded me of this - https://youtu.be/qXpV9LMND-I
    Great song as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    For ease of explanation it’s 60s black American soul Music that grew to prominence across the UK in the 70s and remains an active still
    Daily underground music and dance scene today ...

There is a film “northern Soul “ that was on Netflix at one point which gives a sense of the music and the scene ...

Check out the soundtrack which has a great set of tunes from the scene
    So why is it called Northern Soul and not just Soul music like it is in America?

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    So why is it called Northern Soul and not just Soul music like it is in America?
    It's not just about the music, it's about the culture that grew up in Northern England in the 60's and 70's.

I started thinking about this and struggle to get my day in 5 songs never mind my life. Was looking on YouTube the other night and lost about 4 hours in the 70s alone. I'll maybe come back and try 5 songs per decade.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Northern Soul is a phrase used by writer Dave Godin iin early 70s the story is that he noticed football fans from northern England asking for faster tempo 60s soul records in his London shop.

There was a difference in tempo of the dance soul music that was popular in the Manchester , Blackpool , stoke etc clubs than those of London which have typically been a bit more R&B oriented

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Excellent thread! I recall once trying to come up with a 'soundtrack' for my life (it was some ****ty Facebook thing), and it was quite difficult. It sounds like a cliche, but music is absolutely integral to my day to day life and helps me through pretty much everything!

1) Breath by Breaking Benjamin - when I completed my PhD in 2013, I got the Breaking Benjamin logo (my avatar) tattooed on my right arm. I'd been wary of band tattoos, as I had a few friends with Lostprophets tattoos, so it took me a while to actual get it done. At this point (and to date), BB are my favourite band - they ceased to exist following numerous legal disputes between the lead singer and his former band mates. I listened to their back catalogue on repeat when I was analysing data, writing my thesis and dealing with the ****tiest supervisors I could possibly have asked for. I overcame very limited support, I overcame near-catastrophic hard drive failure and I overcame being doubted at every turn to 'earn my stripes'. This was 3 very tough years of my life, and BB were my soundtrack on a daily basis with 'Breath' being the song that resonated most.

2) Numb by Linkin Park - I've been a MASSIVE Linkin Park fan since the Hybrid Theory EP (released shortly before they released Hybrid Theory). Meteora (in my opinion) is their best album, and when I was an angsty teenager, I listened to that album daily. Not only does 'Numb' remind me of growing up (and dealing with my early teenage demons), but it's become increasingly powerful in later life too. I've remained a huge LP fan, and was genuinely incredibly upset by the passing of Chester Bennington. As someone who suffers from mental health issues, LP's lyrics have always resonated with me from my teenage years to adulthood - becoming retrospectively aware of the trauma behind some of those lyrics, and seeing someone in CB succumb to his own mental health problems, 'Numb' is a song that reminds me how difficult things can be, and that I'm not alone.

3) If Nothing Breaks, Nothing Moves by Arcane Roots - In April this year, my wife and I welcomed our daughter into the world. While her arrival was traumatic (chord around her neck, not breathing, ICU...), she was delivered with a playlist that my wife had put together filling the room. As she was delivered, 'If Nothing Breaks...' was playing, and everytime I hear it now (despite it's ferocity), I think of my daughter and how happy she currently is. Funnily, the theme tune to In The Night Garden also does this...

4) Shipping Up To Boston by The Dropkick Murphys - I can't profess to being a massive Dropkick Murphys fan. I'm not really a massive Celtic Punk fan, but Shipping Up To Boston is a song I always associate with my time living in New England and my resultant affinity with my MLB and NFL teams: teams I've been very fortunate to witness winning many Championships since I started following them back in the 90s.

5) My Own Summer by Deftones - my absolute go-to when I'm in a foul mood. This has been the case since high school for me. This song is pure catharsis.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Bowie was such a huge part of my life in my teens and hard to choose one from that period Queen Bitch, Changes, Ziggy Stardust & Jean Genie are all so good.

Pretty Vacant - Sex Pistols, Punk was such a great time in my late teens and this one stood out.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana, Nevermind is an amazing album and this song just blew me away at the time, still play it a lot.

Killing In the Name Of - Rage Against The Machine, if you're ever feeling angry at anything just play this, it will help, I had a lot of rage around this time.

Blackbird - Alter Bridge, lost my dad around the time this was released, if you've ever lost someone important in your life this song will mean a lot and bring a tear to your eye, and Myles Kennedy has to be the best vocalist in rock.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    No particular order to these.

Nut Bush City Limits - Ike And Tina Turner - One of the few songs that will get me up out my seat for a bump with the Mrs. no other reason.

Killer Queen - Queen - Remember first hearing this while at secondary school and was just blown away by the lyrics and the guitar solos.

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty - Similarly the lyrics and the sax just seemed to resonate with me been a huge Gerry Rafferty/Stealers Wheel fan ever since.

I Feel Love - Donna Summer - Another one of these songs that just seemed ground breaking at the time Georgio Moroder on Synth was epic.

Teardrops - Womack and Womack - Was a big hit at the time my first son was born every time I hear it takes me straight back to the delivery room at Elsie’s.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Flowered Up-Weekender. If you remember it you weren't really there. Good times
    I think I've mentioned it before but, the full version of the video is a masterpiece.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Only need three songs

Born Free
    Staying Alive
    Dead & Buried

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Only need three songs

Born Free
    Staying Alive
    Dead & Buried
    Alternatively ......
    I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet
    I'm Alive - The Hollies
    When I'm Dead & Gone - McGuiness Flint

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Only need three songs

Born Free
    Staying Alive
    Dead & Buried
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Alternatively ......
    I'm Just A Baby - Louise Cordet
    I'm Alive - The Hollies
    When I'm Dead & Gone - McGuiness Flint
    Nothing like a full life. Reminds me of the TV Licence advert. - https://youtu.be/W_fwUmvpAuk