hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 48 of 48
  1. #31
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,336
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But this is Scotland, and that is froward thinking and sensible. Therein lies the problem. We like to pretend we don't do that sort of disgraceful thing in this country,but all we really do is drive it underground and place it into the hands of criminals.

    I'd go as far as to say it the same with drugs, especially weed, but that's a discussion for another thread.
    Totally agree. The drugs thing is different though, giving a junky a safe environment to use is admirable but comes at a cost. Giving working girls the same will pay for itself, but like you say that's a discussion for another thread.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,336
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest I don't think I have seen a missionary I have wanted to have sex with 😎
    When I lived in Germany is wasn't unusual for guys to go to the brothel, particularly the Brits over on business.
    I actually met my ex wife outside in a cafe across from the red light district in Bremen. I was in there waiting for a few lads to do their business. I'm way too Scottish to even contemplate paying for sex but each to their own eh!

  4. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally agree. The drugs thing is different though, giving a junky a safe environment to use is admirable but comes at a cost. Giving working girls the same will pay for itself, but like you say that's a discussion for another thread.
    I was thinking more along the lines of regulating the sale of drugs. A % of profit could be used for rehabilitation, raising awareness, and providing safe and clean environments for people. Much like prostitution, it's gonna happen, we just need to accept and deal with it in a sensible way.

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There might not be a market for pimping your girls over the internet if there were safe establishments for the girls to ply their trades and command control over their own t&c's. Whether people like it or not prostitutes will look for punters and punters will seek out prostitutes, we might as well make it safe for them to do so and cash in on some extra income tax.
    I've argued this for years.

    People have paid for and sold sex for pretty much all of documented history. I'd argue it's somewhat foolish to believe that we can eradicate it's why not make it as safe as possible? Of course some will argue it legitimises it but that has to be better than women getting into strangers cars or using the numerous escort sites online to arrange to attend the house of someone they know nothing about.

    As for the article it's a pretty sad tale that someone feels this is the best way to fund an education and travels but it's her body and I don't have the right to tell her what to do with it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've argued this for years.

    People have paid for and sold sex for pretty much all of documented history. I'd argue it's somewhat foolish to believe that we can eradicate it's why not make it as safe as possible? Of course some will argue it legitimises it but that has to be better than women getting into strangers cars or using the numerous escort sites online to arrange to attend the house of someone they know nothing about.

    As for the article it's a pretty sad tale that someone feels this is the best way to fund an education and travels but it's her body and I don't have the right to tell her what to do with it.
    In an ideal world selling your body for sex would be seen as a career choice, but the reality is it tends to be a world populated by criminals and drug addicts.
    I remember watching a tv programme that followed a girl around as she worked as a prostitute, she was really clever and wasnít being exploited in any way, you could even argue that she was exploiting the men she was visiting. Sadly in this country thatís an exception.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In an ideal world selling your body for sex would be seen as a career choice, but the reality is it tends to be a world populated by criminals and drug addicts.
    I remember watching a tv programme that followed a girl around as she worked as a prostitute, she was really clever and wasnít being exploited in any way, you could even argue that she was exploiting the men she was visiting. Sadly in this country thatís an exception.
    Most men and women who work outdoors are drug-dependent. However, less than 10% of sex-workers (in Scotland at least) work outdoors. That's due to the soliciting and kerb-crawling laws, both of which are detrimental to the safety of sex-workers.

    The majority of indoor workers, (male, female and transgender) work independently and within the law. The extent of their drug issues hasn't been studied, to my knowledge, but I would expect it to be similar to society in general.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Most men and women who work outdoors are drug-dependent. However, less than 10% of sex-workers (in Scotland at least) work outdoors. That's due to the soliciting and kerb-crawling laws, both of which are detrimental to the safety of sex-workers.

    The majority of indoor workers, (male, female and transgender) work independently and within the law. The extent of their drug issues hasn't been studied, to my knowledge, but I would expect it to be similar to society in general.
    I’m intrigued to know how you know that? My experience is mixed, one of the most harrowing experiences of my life involved taking a young Latvian girl to her work in a brothel. She was crying the whole way. I’ll be honest and say I don’t know if she was going there through her own free will, but I remember her saying that she didn’t have a choice after I asked her why she was doing it. That reply is obviously open to interpretation, and tbh I’m not sure what she meant by it.
    Personally I think it should be legalised in the hope that it would stop the underground trafficking that currently happens.

    For balance I also took a girl down to Trinity who openly admitted to doing it so she could send her daughter to a private school and live a life that she otherwise couldn’t afford.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 17-11-2017 at 10:32 PM.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím intrigued to know how you know that? My experience is mixed, one of the most harrowing experiences of my life involved taking a young Latvian girl to her work in a brothel. She was crying the whole way. Iíll be honest and say I donít know if she was going there through her own free will, but I remember her saying that she didnít have a choice after I asked her why she was doing it. That reply is obviously open to interpretation, and tbh Iím not sure what she meant by it.
    Personally I think it should be legalised in the hope that it would stop the underground trafficking that currently happens.
    I've been involved, in various roles, with a sex-worker rights organisation for over 20 years.

    We don't talk about "legalisation", since it is legal to sell sex. We talk about "decriminalisation", which is about the removal of the laws which adversely affect the health and safety of sex-workers.

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been involved, in various roles, with a sex-worker rights organisation for over 20 years.

    We don't talk about "legalisation", since it is legal to sell sex. We talk about "decriminalisation", which is about the removal of the laws which adversely affect the health and safety of sex-workers.
    I think like the issue surrounding drugs itís almosy impossible in this country to have a civilised grown up debate without mass hysteria. The current system doesnít work, but common sense is pushed to the sidelines for political gain.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think like the issue surrounding drugs it’s almosy impossible in this country to have a civilised grown up debate without mass hysteria. The current system doesn’t work, but common sense is pushed to the sidelines for political gain.
    Indeed, been there many times with politicians ( a notable exception was Margo.) It's interesting, though, that there's a wide range of specialist agencies (who are not tied up with the political game) who support decriminalisation, for a number of different reasons:-

    The World Health Organisation
    UNAIDS
    Amnesty International
    Global Alliance Against the Traffic in Women
    Human Rights Watch

    The UK Parliament Home Affairs Committee are also in favour, as are the LibDems and the Scottish Greens. Corbyn and McDonnell are too, I believe, but that's not party policy; it's another battle in the civil war within the party.
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 17-11-2017 at 10:49 PM.

  12. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been involved, in various roles, with a sex-worker rights organisation for over 20 years.

    We don't talk about "legalisation", since it is legal to sell sex. We talk about "decriminalisation", which is about the removal of the laws which adversely affect the health and safety of sex-workers.
    Good work sir.

  13. #42
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Indeed, been there many times with politicians ( a notable exception was Margo.) It's interesting, though, that there's a wide range of specialist agencies (who are not tied up with the political game) who support decriminalisation, for a number of different reasons:-

    The World Health Organisation
    UNAIDS
    Amnesty International
    Global Alliance Against the Traffic in Women
    Human Rights Watch

    The UK Parliament Home Affairs Committee are also in favour, as are the LibDems and the Scottish Greens. Corbyn and McDonnell are too, I believe, but that's not party policy; it's another battle in the civil war within the party.
    I had the pleasure of having Margo in the taxi once. It was during the time when she was quite vocal about the sex workers in leith. She was one of the very few politicians who just said what she thought was the right way to do things. She was such a down to earth person, she invited me into the parliament for a tour and introduced me to a snp worker who showed me round the chamber. She was an independent msp at the time. She was a lovely woman and a fine politician.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  14. #43
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    20,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had the pleasure of having Margo in the taxi once. It was during the time when she was quite vocal about the sex workers in leith. She was one of the very few politicians who just said what she thought was the right way to do things. She was such a down to earth person, she invited me into the parliament for a tour and introduced me to a snp worker who showed me round the chamber. She was an independent msp at the time. She was a lovely woman and a fine politician.
    Loved her to bits. She would attend our AGM every year, and give us gossip from the Parliament...she called it "Tales from the Funny Farm".

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Loved her to bits. She would attend our AGM every year, and give us gossip from the Parliament...she called it "Tales from the Funny Farm".

    Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk
    She was the ultimate people before politics politician. Sadly missed.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    10,435
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think like the issue surrounding drugs itís almosy impossible in this country to have a civilised grown up debate without mass hysteria. The current system doesnít work, but common sense is pushed to the sidelines for political gain.
    The cause of all the troubles in the world in 10 words.

  17. #46
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    9,411
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been involved, in various roles, with a sex-worker rights organisation for over 20 years.

    We don't talk about "legalisation", since it is legal to sell sex. We talk about "decriminalisation", which is about the removal of the laws which adversely affect the health and safety of sex-workers.
    This pretty well reflects my opinion ..... You will never ever eradicate prostitution, its as old as time. When you accept that your responsibility is then to ensure the health and safety of the people who are involved in it, they way to do that isn't to drive women from the streets, its to encourage and more to the point help them to get off the streets to places where they can operate in safety. Legalised brothels where the girls can protect each other or hire folk to protect them seems the logical and most common sense approach to that.

    When you have done that it makes it so much easier to regulate the industry and more to the point concentrate your efforts on shutting down the ****bags who coerce or force women and girls into prostitution.

    I come from the age group ( IE the over 50s ) who are viewed as being the most closed minded and conservative on issues like this, but I have to say that on the few occasions this has been raised as a topic of conversation between me and my 50+ age group friends the consensus is overwhelmingly in favour of protecting the girls .. not putting them in jail or forcing them to put themselves in danger. It would be interesting to see what a national opinion poll had to say on the matter.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 18-11-2017 at 12:05 AM.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    11,139
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The cause of all the troubles in the world in 10 words.
    Ainít that the truth.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    7,027
    Doesn't sit right with me at all. Seems low to sell yourself to me, regardless of the price. Not sure why, just seems wrong.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved