hibs.net Messageboard

NHC: New Stadium

Spotted this from the north circular the other day.

It’s some size!

http://new-stadium.tottenhamhotspur.com/interact

Not quite the pink bus shelter, I know!

2. Log in to remove the advert

To be honest I'm not keen on stadiums like Spurs new stadium, the Emirates, the Etihad etc. There's plenty of impressive things with Spurs new ground...but not as a football stadium. There's just something a bit corporate and cold about them. Would be a shame if a lot of the old style grounds are gone in another 20 or so years.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To be honest I'm not keen on stadiums like Spurs new stadium, the Emirates, the Etihad etc. There's plenty of impressive things with Spurs new ground...but not as a football stadium. There's just something a bit corporate and cold about them. Would be a shame if a lot of the old style grounds are gone in another 20 or so years.
    Like this, maybe:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/15/archaeologist-rich-history-bradford-lost-football-ground#comment-108300811

This.

Give me vicente calderón or the San Paolo any day of the week over an Emirates or Etihad.

Think the Germans get the mix well with their new stadia. Posh fancy corporate sections but bare minimum basic terraced areas.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    This.

Give me vicente calderón or the San Paolo any day of the week over an Emirates or Etihad.

Think the Germans get the mix well with their new stadia. Posh fancy corporate sections but bare minimum basic terraced areas.
    I’m sure I read somewhere that Spurs new ground will have the largest single fan terracing in Europe at one end of the stadium. Similar to what Dortmund have with their yellow wall. So, presume they are trying to get that mix of ‘corporate’ and ‘normal fan’ facilities to suit all tastes.

This.

You do realise that Atletico no longer play in the Calderon? (They've now got a brand spanking new stadium).

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    You do realise that Atletico no longer play in the Calderon? (They've now got a brand spanking new stadium).
    Yep pretty much identical to the emirates

Yep pretty much identical to the emirates
    ..but with an atmosphere!

This.

The Germans always get it right when it comes to football.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    ..but with an atmosphere!

Was there 3 weeks ago and the atmosphere was cracking!

Unimaginable that a single club can undertake a construction project of that size, just shows the money in the EPL. I suppose it helps if you can build a stadium nearly twice the size of the one you have knowing you will be able to fill it.

The big question facing clubs like Spurs, Arsenal and soon enough Chelsea is what happens if the oligarchs and middle east countries lose interest in their toys and the huge TV money dries up ........ These massive stadiums must cost an absolute fortune to maintain and if the gravy train hits the buffers what was a huge asset could well become a huge Albatross.

how long is this taking to build?

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The big question facing clubs like Spurs, Arsenal and soon enough Chelsea is what happens if the oligarchs and middle east countries lose interest in their toys and the huge TV money dries up ........ These massive stadiums must cost an absolute fortune to maintain and if the gravy train hits the buffers what was a huge asset could well become a huge Albatross.

Agreed, it'll all go chebs up for a lot of clubs sooner rather than later. Spurs don't have a sugar daddy as far as I'm aware, and they don't pay their players the same amount as the other clubs. They are very shrewd in the transfer market and can't ever remember them spending more than £30ish mil on a player. That's the way to play the game down there and of all the top 10 clubs I think they will be best placed to take advantage when the gravy train does eventually derail.

@hibs.net private member
    I went to the Etihad a few years ago and thought it was a fantastic stadium, the best I've been in to be honest, a real amphitheater with a good atmosphere and excellent views. Didn't feel like a corporate or sterile environment at all.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weir07 View Post
    I went to the Etihad a few years ago and thought it was a fantastic stadium, the best I've been in to be honest, a real amphitheater with a good atmosphere and excellent views. Didn't feel like a corporate or sterile environment at all.

From the pictures of the work going on at WHL, it looks as if it will be a very impressive stadium when it's finished, tbh.

This.

Well Budge got one of the bits right then

Quote Originally Posted by Weir07 View Post
    I'm down at old Trafford a couple of times a season and always disappointed with the atmosphere, considering it holds 80,000. Think alot of Big English teams struggle with atmosphere due to the amount of tourists that attend.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Have they ordered the seats yet?

Maybe Budgie could give them a wee phone to find out if they are going to bury their cherrypickers?

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    Have they ordered the seats yet?
    Don’t be silly, you only do that after it has meant to have opened.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Unimaginable that a single club can undertake a construction project of that size, just shows the money in the EPL. I suppose it helps if you can build a stadium nearly twice the size of the one you have knowing you will be able to fill it.

Just as its announced Chelsea's new stadium will double in cost to £1b - and will have less capacity than Parkhead

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Agreed, it'll all go chebs up for a lot of clubs sooner rather than later. Spurs don't have a sugar daddy as far as I'm aware, and they don't pay their players the same amount as the other clubs. They are very shrewd in the transfer market and can't ever remember them spending more than £30ish mil on a player. That's the way to play the game down there and of all the top 10 clubs I think they will be best placed to take advantage when the gravy train does eventually derail.
    Spurs are owned by Joe Lewis who is reported to be worth several billion pounds