hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

Shaun Woodburn and the crown office

70,000 petition forces a meeting with the crown office over the lenient sentence, i do hope his family win a right to appeal

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/sc...-meet-11522178

The prosecutorsí offer of a meeting followed mounting pressure after Shaunís teenage killer was sentenced to just four yearsí detention.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Absolutely great response from the public. Anyone in their right mind even with the evidence given knows thatís a shockingly lenient sentence!

They deserve a proper punishment 4 years is nothing.

@hibs.net private member Deansy's Avatar
    Hopefully they get some measure of closure from this !

@hibs.net private member CraigHibee's Avatar
    good to hear

Unfortunately, the killer has lodged an application for leave to appeal against his conviction.

Prolonging the agony for the family.

@hibs.net private member trev the hat's Avatar
    Does 100,000 signatories not force a debate in Parliament ?
    Shocking sentence !!

@hibs.net private member vince1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocking sentence !!
    100k gets the right to be considered for debate in Parliament. The whole petition thing is a con as very few petitions with 100k actually gets discussed. Hopefully this case will be dealt with by the PFCO and a proper sentence applied.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trev the hat View Post
    Shocking sentence !!
    Disgusting. His sentence should be extended for that alone.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

Testimonial Due
    I know this is an emotive subject, and i know that the sentences seem lenient, but we really cant have a jusrice system that is swayed by how big a social media response someone can generate.

If there are grounds for appeal, hopefully the Crown will use them, but a petition should habe absolutely no bearing on it at all.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    I know this is an emotive subject, and i know that the sentences seem lenient, but we really cant have a jusrice system that is swayed by how big a social media response someone can generate.

If there are grounds for appeal, hopefully the Crown will use them, but a petition should habe absolutely no bearing on it at all.
    Agreed. IMO the sentence is far too lenient and should be way harsher, but the idea that you can get any Joe Bloggs signing a petition to extend the sentence and it may hold some weight doesnít really sit right with me.

I think its a great thing that those who work in a position of power and influence can have pressure to bear on them when decisions they take don't sit well with vast numbers of ordinary folk whose voices normally don't get heard. Its obvious the public are horrified by the lenient sentence handed down when a life was taken and if its social media that's the messenger to the state guardians of law and order notifying them of the anger displayed by public opinion then more power to it in my opinion.

GGTTH
    Last edited by lgnsh70; 25-11-2017 at 06:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member Thecat23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    I think its a great thing that those who work in a position of power and influence can have pressure to bear on them when decisions they take don't sit well with vast numbers of ordinary folk whose voices normally don't get heard. Its obvious the public are horrified by the lenient sentence handed down when a life was taken and if its social media that's the messenger to the state guardians of law and order notifying them of the anger displayed by public opinion then more power to it in my opinion.

GGTTH
    Well said, the evidence in this case was more than enough to have a longer sentence the judge just bottled it. ****ing ****, I hope to god they get proper justice.

I'm no legal expert and I don't claim to know every detail of this case but 4 years for taking someones life is an utter disgrace regardless of whether the guy is being tried as a minor or not. From what i've heard, the culprit was also involved in earlier assaults that night as well so clearly this wasn't just a spontaneous act, he was clearly going about that night trying to cause trouble.

Horrendous for Shauns family and friends, although it will never bring Shaun back, I hope they get their justice and get a little bit of peace from it.

@hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Have any of the outraged actually read the notes from sentencing? These can usually provide a bit more context. Unfortunately canít find these ones online as the offenderís name is suppressed

First Team Breakthrough hibsmum's Avatar
    So somebody who was on the police radar for at least 3 years and was going about causing total mayhem that night has the right to appeal but the family have to go through social media and a petition that has tremendous backing to even get a meeting with lawyers, seriously!!

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Agreed. IMO the sentence is far too lenient and should be way harsher, but the idea that you can get any Joe Bloggs signing a petition to extend the sentence and it may hold some weight doesnít really sit right with me.
    I donít see it that way. A petition like this should have some sort of influence in getting the sentence reviewed. Once the review begins the petition becomes irrelevant and the experts have to be left to come to their own conclusions. If they say that the sentence handed out was correct, I still wonít agree with it, but at least people will feel that theyíve had some sort of say. What I would have liked to have seen is the CPS appealing the sentence, and I suppose that may still happen.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Quote Originally Posted by hibsmum View Post
    So somebody who was on the police radar for at least 3 years and was going about causing total mayhem that night has the right to appeal but the family have to go through social media and a petition that has tremendous backing to even get a meeting with lawyers, seriously!!
    I totally agree with you. Its a real shame that folk in extremely distressing circumstances have had to go down the route of unconventional means to seek true justice. Its not ideal however four years does seem particularly lenient and I hope the petition is successful in putting pressure on the authorities to adjust the sentence accordingly in due course.

From some of the things Iíve heard being behind bars is probably the safest place for him.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    From some of the things Iíve heard being behind bars is probably the safest place for him.
    He's presumably in Polmont too which is possibly safer for him than an adult jail.

First Team Breakthrough hibsmum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    He's presumably in Polmont too which is possibly safer for him than an adult jail.
    But at 18 he goes to an adult jail

Quote Originally Posted by hibsmum View Post
    But at 18 he goes to an adult jail
    I thought it was 21?

Yes, which might explain his appeal.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Well said, the evidence in this case was more than enough to have a longer sentence the judge just bottled it. ****ing ****, I hope to god they get proper justice.
    Its not something im going to argue about as i really do understand that this is emotive and personal for many on here.

And i dont blame the family or anything like that, just very uncomfortable with a legal system based on anything other than a rigorous and dispassionate examination of the facts, facts that most on here will not know.

Its not something im going to argue about as i really do understand that this is emotive and personal for many on here.

And i dont blame the family or anything like that, just very uncomfortable with a legal system based on anything other than a rigorous and dispassionate examination of the facts, facts that most on here will not know.
    For example? I would think what you're referring to should only have added to what should have been the likely sentence of at least six to eight for manslaughter in the event of of being extremely fortunate it wasn't murder. I think your'e talking nonsense unfortunately.

The not guilty plea and the light sentence are a big contradiction for me. I worked with a guy years ago who got 4 years for a serious assault. He pleaded guilty and it was his first offence. He was out in 2 but still comparing what I've read about this case with that one it seems completely out of line in terms of punishment.

The not guilty plea and the light sentence are a big contradiction for me. I worked with a guy years ago who got 4 years for a serious assault. He pleaded guilty and it was his first offence. He was out in 2 but still comparing what I've read about this case with that one it seems completely out of line in terms of punishment.
    Absolutely. its appears on the face of it 4 years is way too lenient for taking a life. If there are special mitigating circumstances as Southharp refers to for the particularly light sentence I think the family should be informed of them. I don't think there are and a minimum six to eight years would have been more appropriate in the light of a non-murder charge. The family appear to to me to be absolutely correct to pursue the system for a more fitting sentence and i hope they obtain one.

Launching an appeal could extend a sentence as easily as reducing one

I think the application is for leave to appeal conviction, rather than sentence, so he could only end up with a longer sentence if convicted again after a retrial.

Testimonial Due
    For example? I would think what you're referring to should only have added to what should have been the likely sentence of at least six to eight for manslaughter in the event of of being extremely fortunate it wasn't murder. I think your'e talking nonsense unfortunately.
    Fair enough. But a jury, and a judge and fhe procurator fiscal all seem to think one thing, and you, some random punter on an internet message board who may/may not have any expertise in fhe criminal justice system, legal process or any ofnthe facts of the case, thinks another.

Testimonial Due
    Absolutely. its appears on the face of it 4 years is way too lenient for taking a life. If there are special mitigating circumstances as Southharp refers to for the particularly light sentence I think the family should be informed of them. I don't think there are and a minimum six to eight years would have been more appropriate in the light of a non-murder charge. The family appear to to me to be absolutely correct to pursue the system for a more fitting sentence and i hope they obtain one.
    I didnt refer to any mitigating circumstances??! I just said that most people passing judgement on the case, amd sentence, including myself, dont know most of the facts.

I dont know anything about the case, but im sure the judge has his reasons fornthe sentence. If there are grounds to appeal, then hopefully the crown appeals, but it should be done on legal grounds, not because thousands of people saw something on Facebook.