hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derek Riordan

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Best scorer of goals for 20/30 years at Hibs
    I am now approaching the wrong side of my Sixties, seen some fantastic players at our club but Derek Riordan is up there with Stanton and O'Rourke for me. some of his goals were sublime.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The term natural ability really annoys me and is one what I see a lot regarding Deek.

No one is born being able to whip a free kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

He put in a lot of effort and hours on the training field and fellow pro’s have even said he practiced every day how he struck the ball and what technique to use. Whether it was normal play or free kicks.

He scored over 100 for us, he’s a legend.

Both a scorer of great goals and a great goalscorer.

I wish he was just coming back now like whitts after some time down south, but im delighted we got out of him what we did.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The term natural ability really annoys me and is one what I see a lot regarding Deek.

No one is born being able to whip a free kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

He put in a lot of effort and hours on the training field and fellow pro’s have even said he practiced every day how he struck the ball and what technique to use. Whether it was normal play or free kicks.

No one is going to get on even the lowest rung of the professional football ladder without putting the hours in, but innate ability does matter too.

Touch, awareness, anticipation, physique, pace can all be worked on but some just have it.

Riordan had it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

I agree that you have to put the work in to improve your game but there's parts of being a footballer which I believe are just borne out of having a natural instinct.

There's a lot of people out there who would never have been as good at scoring goals as Derek Riordan, regardless of how much work they put in during training.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I agree that you have to put the work in to improve your game but there's parts of being a footballer which I believe are just borne out of having a natural instinct.

There's a lot of people out there who would never have been as good at scoring goals as Derek Riordan, regardless of how much work they put in during training.
    The basic skills are gained by 12. Giordano must have kicked a lot of balls by that my age but must have had a passion and love for the game and was a keen student of it.

Left by mutual consent!
    So has Derek retired from the game then? If so I would put it to the fans reps the club should acknowledge this. Not many players live the dream and score over 100 goals for Hibernian. There's not many players who do that in Scotland full stop.

So is he coming home?!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    Hes done.....game over
    Yup afraid so

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Griffiths is the best Hibs player I have ever seen in the flesh. Only caught Riordan's second spell.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Griffiths is the best Hibs player I have ever seen in the flesh. Only caught Riordan's second spell.
    Seen them both my friend from the outset and I can honestly say deeks was an absolute pleasure to watch.... Right foot /left foot (and the odd header) and his technical ability was sometimes a spectical in itself. Deeks for me..... P.S.Sparky is still a legend in my book as well... Clue common denominator...Love sticking it up the Tramps!!

Left by mutual consent!
    Riordan should have been twice the player as Sparky.

Ironically Leigh was released for having a Riordan attitude and is his absolute hero.

Derek Riordan or Leigh Griffiths?

Derek Riordan.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by May2116 View Post
    Leigh’s finish against Dundee United at Easter road with his right foot on the volley was as good a finish as you’ll see.
    Deeks left foot volley against Dundee was better . Wrongly chopped off for offside. Imo .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by erin go bragh View Post
    Deeks left foot volley against Dundee was better . Wrongly chopped off for offside. Imo .
    To make it 4-1. Sure we drew that game.

His best goal for me was the goal when we lost 2-1 at the shelter. Craig Gordon didn't even move.

His goal on his return against Hamilton away was special too.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter View Post
    Riordan should have been twice the player as Sparky.

Ironically Leigh was released for having a Riordan attitude and is his absolute hero.

Derek Riordan or Leigh Griffiths?

Derek Riordan.
    Not for me, nowhere near it. Griffiths is an even better striker of the ball than deek imo. Similar levels of accuracy with Griffiths having more power. Sparkys all round game is also much better. Still loved Riordan though.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    LG and DR are both brilliant goal scorers and after the poverty of strikers I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s (with one major exception) some of the young uns' don't know how lucky we are to be able to have this debate 🙂 P.s. Archigod (the exception) was brilliant and scored one of my favourite goals of all time !!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Not for me, nowhere near it. Griffiths is an even better striker of the ball than deek imo. Similar levels of accuracy with Griffiths having more power. Sparkys all round game is also much better. Still loved Riordan though.
    Leigh has worked on his game. Watching and knowing him from a very young age he's surprised loads of people and deserves everything he gets. When he was coming through the same as Riordan I didn't think Leigh would apply himself, he has though and I stick to it, if Derek Riordan done similar he would have been twice the player he is that talented. And Leigh's hero.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    How many has Leigh scored with his right ? Compare with how many Derek scored with his left.

They were different players in my opinion Calum, Leigh very focused on being a striker and getting shots in - Derek was so graceful and had technique that defied logic at times. Criminal that he didn't have the sheer enthusiasm Leigh has though. Loved watching Derek and one of the best players to have graced Easter Road.

Derek the far far better footballer, Leigh has more drive and desire to play the game though.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    How many has Leigh scored with his right ? Compare with how many Derek scored with his left.

They were different players in my opinion Calum, Leigh very focused on being a striker and getting shots in - Derek was so graceful and had technique that defied logic at times. Criminal that he didn't have the sheer enthusiasm Leigh has though. Loved watching Derek and one of the best players to have graced Easter Road.

Derek the far far better footballer, Leigh has more drive and desire to play the game though.
    Spot on. Unfortunately.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries

Deek score 26% with his left, Leigh 18% with his right. Agree with everything you say btw

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar

I disagree, I think Griffiths is the better player.

I think it's shown at the level he's playing at too, champions league and international regularly.

Both great goalscorers and scorers of great goals, and good hibees!

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    For me there’s no doubt that Griffiths is a better player. Riordan was absolutely class for us though, it’s just a shame that he could’ve played at a higher level but it didn’t work out. If he’d looked after himself properly he could still be playing now at our level.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Both fantastic players in their pomp, Griffiths shades it for me, although it's no bad thing being 2nd in that poll.

Both get a from me.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Very good summary.

Testimonial Due
    Griffiths > Cummings > Riordan

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Never.

Depends what they're being judged on.

Natural ability - Derek Riordan
    Ability with a determination to be the best you can - Leigh Griffiths

Playing with Hibs both were fantastic and LG can probably count himself unlucky that he's played in one of the worst hibs team's and still managed greater than a 2:1 ratio. whereas DR was fortunate to come through with a great group of players then even when he returned we had a pretty good side.

Both have given us spectacular goals against hearts, match winners, hat tricks top corner screamers but both were whingy and lazy at times.

Reading up on Riordan it's actually scary that he effectively retired after playing for us. 50 games he's played in the 6 years since he left us. What a shame. A poster alluded to it above but if he has half the determination/attitude call it whatever you want, Darren Fletcher has it as well he'd have made one helluva career for himself.

Tough to split but for their time with hibs, Riordan wins for me

First Team Regular HIBEES 4 LIFE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunshineOnLeith View Post
    Cummings not in the same stratosphere as the other 2. Just not that good.

Riordan better ability, Griffiths better attitude/work ethic. Tough call

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    For me there’s no doubt that Griffiths is a better player. Riordan was absolutely class for us though, it’s just a shame that he could’ve played at a higher level but it didn’t work out. If he’d looked after himself properly he could still be playing now at our level.
    This is where I’m at. Griffiths to me is better in every aspect of his game near enough other than with his weak foot. But even then you could argue Sparky is better with his head instead. Quicker, stronger, every bit as good a finisher, probably a better football player (touch, dribbling etc) with more power in his shooting. I loved Riordan but there’s only one winner here for me.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If Riordan had Sparky's attitude and application he could have played for any team of these isles.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction