hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Karenís Unicorn is good for a sit-in but for some reason their take-away is not great. Tried it about 5 times for a take-away and it has been consistently disappointing.

The last time we got a Chinese take-away we went to the Loon Fung and it was good. We always mean to try to sit-in there but have never got round it.

We were once in the pub next door to the Loon Fung and this elderly couple tried to befriend us (mainly to try and flog us the husbandís bagpiping services as the woman didnít notice my wifeís wedding ring under her engagement ring) and they kept banging on about how the Jade Garden at Canonmills was the best Chinese take-away ever. We went a couple of weeks later and it was disgusting. So much so it put us off Chinese food for not far off a year.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member happyhibbie's Avatar
    Xanadu at Meadowbank (formerly Karens) never had a bad sit in or take away from there.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    As others have said I donít get the hype with Chinese takeaways. Nearly always left very disappointed. I wouldnít even order one anymore.

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Trouble with most takeaway food is that freshly prepared and served in a restaurant against prepared,packaged and transported for varying amount of times is always going to affect the quality.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I struggle to remember the last Chinese I ordered and even harder to remember the last I enjoyed. There are exceptions but I find the vast majority have a gloopy texture, are sickly sweet and then leave an almost overpowering aftertaste of MSG.

A lot of Chinese takeaways seem to be stuck in a time warp. With the far more abundant take away offerings from Thai restaurants in recents years, the switch from some Indians to more traditional and smaller dishes, the growing popularity of Mexican take away, more traditional pizza offerings rather than the Dominos/Pizza Hut rubbish, sushi and other Japanese offerings and the huge improvement in dishes from some burger and chicken outlets I'm not sure a lot of Chinese have upped their game to keep pace. As said above consistency is a huge issue and with so much choice I'm not willing to risk a crap meal.
    As long as they're busy, they'll continue to churn out the same crap.

When I worked at Canonmills we regularly used to go the Loon Fung - it was always mobbed despite the fact that I got the impression that there was more MSG than anything else in the dishes.

There was a takeaway across the road (Canon Street - now called the Jade Garden). We're going back 13+ years but I thought the food was great. There was a lot less sauce/gravy/MSG and you could really taste the likes of fresh ginger and garlic - nearly all my mates preferred the Loon Fung.

Does anyone actually prefer Chinese to Indian food?? An Indian is right at the top of my wish list when I'm home, never occurs to me to go for a Chinese.

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Does anyone actually prefer Chinese to Indian food?? An Indian is right at the top of my wish list when I'm home, never occurs to me to go for a Chinese.
    Nope. Indian food is streets ahead of Chinese IMO and also the Indian takeaways are of a much higher quality.

Had a Chicken Dupiaza and a half rice half garlic naan for my old mans 70th last night, never touched the sides entering or leaving!

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Had a Chicken Dupiaza and a half rice half garlic naan for my old mans 70th last night, never touched the sides entering or leaving!
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

As someone who arrived on the chinese food scene late, but nevertheless love it, my recommendations for Chinese restaurants are: Imperial Palace, Karen's Unicorn, Rendezvous, and my overall favourite - Loon Fung.

There also used to be Karen Wong's restaurant in the southside of the city, closed now unfortunately. But was very good everytime I went. The owner was a 'one woman' show as well!

@hibs.net private member
    Whenever out in town like the Kweilin on Dundas street.

Although, every time we go, without fail, my mate proceeds to tell the story about how that was Steve Archibaldís favourite restaurant when he was at Hibs, and how one game at home Steve never made the squad so was in the Kweilin while the game was still on.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Total lack of consistency across many of them is the problem. Have a good meal, go back a few weeks later and same order is crap. Move onto another and same thing happens.
    This has been a feature of Chinese restaurants for over forty years, in my experience.

There must be a reason for such high turnover of chefs: visa rules or other immigration issues perhaps.

I would have thought there was a real opportunity for quality home made Chinese restaurants in the style of Italian chain Vittoria group.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Yes. Don't mind Indian but I would always go for a Chinese if it was my choice to pick the takeaway.

Kwok in Ratcliffe terrace is decent

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Not Edinburgh, but the name of this place always made me smile whenever we passed it on the way to matches in Dundee.

https://www.facebook.com/TakAWaDundee/
    Slightly off-topic (apologies) but remember many moons ago going through the Birmingham suburb of Shirley and seeing the local Chinese restaurant called......

.........The Shirley Temple Restaurant.

@hibs.net private member Galahibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    The owner of my local Indian will make any dish you ask for (within reason...) but will only do a dupiaza under duress. His reason being that I wouldn't go into a 'normal' restaurant and ask for mince & tatties, and that's their equivalent. He really takes it as an insult. Still love it, still ask for it, and he still makes it though 😍 For what it's worth, if any of you are ever down in the Borders, it comes very highly recommended. Taste of Spice, Selkirk