hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Team Breakthrough Xavi Hernandez's Avatar

Best Chinese in Edinburgh

So we have had the best chippy now, what's the best Chinese? Mr So at Piershill for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

New hung wai at Piershill is good too, their salt& chilli chips are the damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough Xavi Hernandez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeveGotMcginn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    New hung wai at Piershill is good too, their salt& chilli chips are the damage

Have to give them a shot like! Where about are they? Don't think I've heard of them before and am just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavi Hernandez View Post
    Have to give them a shot like! Where about are they? Don't think I've heard of them before and am just around the corner.
    Just beside giovannis chippy

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    The chef from Savour Chinese at Newhaven is in the running for takeaway of the year in Britain. Iíve never tried it, but I will need go at some point. Canít remember the last time I enjoyed a Chinese, the last two Iíve had have been rank.

Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Total lack of consistency across many of them is the problem. Have a good meal, go back a few weeks later and same order is crap. Move onto another and same thing happens.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

First Team Breakthrough lgnsh70's Avatar
    Its been a long time since I visited a chinese restaurant as I much prefer Indian food but a very good one I remember (it might not even be there now) was the Loon Fung in Canonmills.

Karens unicorn on Abercrombie place.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post

As good as it gets (apart from the price maybe )

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I'd heard a few folk say Cool Jade in Corstorphine was good, went in a few weeks ago, it was utterly *****. The Chinese Manor House along the road is miles better.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I'd heard a few folk say Cool Jade in Corstorphine was good, went in a few weeks ago, it was utterly *****. The Chinese Manor House along the road is miles better.
    I'm very surprised at that, but it does show how subjective reviews are.

Cool Jade serves the best Chinese food I've ever tasted. I love it and my mate is a regular there and he refuses to eat Chinese anywhere else.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    When we lived off Leith Walk there was a Chinese in Albert Street that was fantastic, it looked like a total dump outside and in but food was consistently good.

I struggle to remember the last Chinese I ordered and even harder to remember the last I enjoyed. There are exceptions but I find the vast majority have a gloopy texture, are sickly sweet and then leave an almost overpowering aftertaste of MSG.

A lot of Chinese takeaways seem to be stuck in a time warp. With the far more abundant take away offerings from Thai restaurants in recents years, the switch from some Indians to more traditional and smaller dishes, the growing popularity of Mexican take away, more traditional pizza offerings rather than the Dominos/Pizza Hut rubbish, sushi and other Japanese offerings and the huge improvement in dishes from some burger and chicken outlets I'm not sure a lot of Chinese have upped their game to keep pace. As said above consistency is a huge issue and with so much choice I'm not willing to risk a crap meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I struggle to remember the last Chinese I ordered and even harder to remember the last I enjoyed. There are exceptions but I find the vast majority have a gloopy texture, are almost sickly sweet and then leave an almost overpowering aftertaste of MSG.

A lot of Chinese takeaways seem to be stuck in a time warp. With the far more abundant take away offerings from Thai restaurants in recents years, the switch from some Indians to more traditional and smaller dishes, the growing popularity of Mexican take away, more traditional pizza offerings rather than the Dominos/Pizza Hut rubbish and the hige improvement in offerings from burger and chicken outlets I'm not sure a lot of Chinese have upped their game to keep pace. As said above consistency is a huge issue and with so much choice I'm not willing to risk a crap meal.
    I totally agree with that. Occasionally I'm in the mood for that sweet gloopy British Chinese food we got in the 1970s and we still get today, but 90% of places are just reheating the same mass produced sauces that you can buy in Costco. You're getting much tastier and authentic Asian cuisine if you go to a fusion chain place like Wagamama, to be honest.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I totally agree with that. Occasionally I'm in the mood for that sweet gloopy British Chinese food we got in the 1970s and we still get today, but 90% of places are just reheating the same mass produced sauces that you can buy in Costco. You're getting much tastier and authentic Asian cuisine if you go to a fusion chain place like Wagamama, to be honest.
    Wagamama is brutal in my opinion.

The Loon Wah Meadowbank is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I tried it once on the back of many good local reccomendations, the thing I ended up chewing on that was supposed to be chicken breast put me off my meal and ever returning.
    Last edited by Scouse Hibby; 13-11-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Not been for a few years but, The Kweilin on Dundas Street used to be excellent.
    Taste Good on Slateford Road used to be pretty good but, its gone downhill recently.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 13-11-2017 at 11:11 AM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Canít beat the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or the Pingon in Stockbridge. Think the Pingon is run by Wednesday the Wong family, who used to own the Great Wall that was on Lothian Rd many moons ago?

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Canít beat the Rendezvous on Queensferry St, or the Pingon in Stockbridge. Think the Pingon is run by Wednesday the Wong family, who used to own the Great Wall that was on Lothian Rd many moons ago?
    IIRC the Great Wall was where the Imperial was. The Imperial was the first (and only) Chinese restaurant we went to when I was a kid - an annual treat.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Thatís the one I use as as well.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member Peevemor's Avatar
    Not Edinburgh, but the name of this place always made me smile whenever we passed it on the way to matches in Dundee.

https://www.facebook.com/TakAWaDundee/

Orchid Lodge used to be our favourite up town, sadly long gone.Tried Rendezvous a couple of months ago as a last minute choice and was pleasantly surprised.

@hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 660 View Post
    Yip - brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    When we lived off Leith Walk there was a Chinese in Albert Street that was fantastic, it looked like a total dump outside and in but food was consistently good.
    Is that Jiuding? We've started going there since the Silver Bowl left us disappointed more than once too often.

We like it and after about half a dozen visits/deliveries it's #1.

For a sitdoonerie the Rendezvous is hard to beat and their lunchtime menu great value.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Is that Jiuding? We've started going there since the Silver Bowl left us disappointed more than once too often.

We like it and after about half a dozen visits/deliveries it's #1.

For a sitdoonerie the Rendezvous is hard to beat and their lunchtime menu great value.
    That's it, and yes the Silver Bowl looks all nice and shiny but food was not great. This place is a dump but food is great.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    IIRC the Great Wall was where the Imperial was. The Imperial was the first (and only) Chinese restaurant we went to when I was a kid - an annual treat.
    You must be a lot older than me, never knew it as the Imperial😄

Ming palace at Mortonhall used to be good but not been for a while. Chinese delight at oxgngs isn't too bad either, better than the bottom shops anyway!

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    We use The Silver Bowl in Leith Walk but only because my wife and youngest son never deviate from the same dishes and they like them from there. I like to vary what I have and as mentioned before, a dish can be great one time then ordinary the next. Give me an Indian curry every time.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
    Best I have had in Edinburgh.