hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liam Miller

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Horrible to hear this, really hope he can overcome it.

I’ll never forget his performance at Parkhead when he played right midfield, masterful display and he tormented their midfield and left back that day. Not bad for a centre mid.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Horrible to hear this, really hope he can overcome it.

I’ll never forget his performance at Parkhead when he played right midfield, masterful display and he tormented their midfield and left back that day. Not bad for a centre mid.
    I remember that. He got horrific abuse from the Celtic fans that day and up to 24 hrs ago most Celtic fans wouldn't of pissed on him if he was on fire.

All of a sudden he's now part of the Celtic family

They love a bit of grief that lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post
    I remember that. He got horrific abuse from the Celtic fans that day and up to 24 hrs ago most Celtic fans wouldn't of pissed on him if he was on fire.

Ex Celtic and Man Utd star of course...

Whatever, hope he gets well.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Does it really matter? Many cancer sufferers use the description themselves, if they believe it gives them inspiration or indeed helps those around them then that's what matters. My own Dad is battling terminal cancer right now and has been for over twelve months, it is a battle he can't win but hey ho never the less in his mind he is battling it.
    Apologies if that appeared insensitive. Not my intention and you're quite right in what you say.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    I hope he can pull through this. My thoughts are with him and his family.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Horrific news and no age, get well please Liam.

Hit quite hard by this given I’m around Liam’s age and he was one of my favourite players 10 years ago.

I hope and pray he makes a recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harsh.

It's the same everywhere. See Fernando Ricksen for a prime example of folk realising that football is only a game and empathising with someone going through hell with illness.

Left by mutual consent!

Ambulance chasers the lot of them.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Apologies if that appeared insensitive. Not my intention and you're quite right in what you say.
    No need for apologies mate, a horrible disease that affects so many.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I really hope not.

I don't think the prognosis is usually very good with that type of cancer.
    You are right. My dad has pancreatic cancer, and is now in the final stages. It's not good.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    You are right. My dad has pancreatic cancer, and is now in the final stages. It's not good.
    I'm very sorry to hear that, green day. I believe pancreatic cancer has one of the lowest survival rates as it's very difficult to diagnose early. Best wishes to your dad.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    Sorry to hear that GD.

Quote Originally Posted by essexhibee View Post
    Looks like it is Pancreatic Cancer.

Just horrible.
    Really hope not. All cancers are bad but this is ducking horrible one. My thought are with Liam and his family.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    It would be nice if his former clubs could do something on behalf of pancreatic cancer. A wee tournament with Celtic, Man United, Hibs, Leeds. Something like that. It's a form of cancer that is proving incredibly difficult to fight, and it would be good to have an event which raises awareness as well as funds.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    I remember the lad seemed to have the world at his feet in the autumn of 2003 when he burst into O’Neills Celtic team. A couple of well taken goals in high profile Champions league matches helped of course but Celtic were talking about building their future round him, offering him lucrative contracts etc and of course Alex Ferguson was waiting to swoop.

I feel so sad about this news, just 14 years on. Still such a young fella. God bless, Liam.

Left by mutual consent! IlDiavola's Avatar
    All the best to the guy but it sounds like a bad one I'm afraid.

This is unfair, much as I dislike Celtic.

Liam Miller left their club under a cloud, they were very bitter about the way he hotfooted off to Man Utd just as soon as he'd broken into their team. At the time Celtic were struggling to come to terms with the fact that they were disappearing lower and lower down the food chain and it hurt their pride that their new starlet would ever want to leave "paradise". He probably deserved a bit of abuse upon returning to Celtic Park, he'd probably understand and accept that. And as well as he played, he probably used to drive him on to reach as high a level of performance as he was capable of producing, and as many good performances as we've had in Glasgow in recent years, I'd not seen as many as good as that one up to that point. He was magnificent.

As un-christian as Celtic generally are, I think that when their former player finds himself battling something as nasty as pancreatic cancer, there should be nothing cynical about them finding some forgiveness as they wish that player well?

Is there any Hibs fan that doesn't wish Terry Butcher well as he comes to terms with the loss of his son? His performance as Hibs manager and what he may or may not have done when holding that position pales into total insignificance when a fellow human is facing such a difficult time.
    Last edited by Smartie; 13-11-2017 at 04:39 PM.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Liam Miller left their club under a cloud, they were very bitter about the way he hotfooted off to Man Utd just as soon as he'd broken into their team. At the time Celtic were struggling to come to terms with the fact that they were disappearing lower and lower down the food chain and it hurt their pride that their new starlet would ever want to leave "paradise". He probably deserved a bit of abuse upon returning to Celtic Park, he'd probably understand and accept that. And as well as he played, he probably used to drive him on to reach as high a level of performance as he was capable of producing, and as many good performances as we've had in Glasgow in recent years, I'd not seen as many as good as that one up to that point. He was magnificent.

As un-christian as Celtic generally are, I think that when their former player finds himself battling something as nasty as pancreatic cancer, there should be nothing cynical about them finding some forgiveness as they wish that player well?

Is there any Hibs fan that doesn't wish Terry Butcher well as he comes to terms with the loss of his son? His performance as Hibs manager and what he may or may not have done when holding that position pales into total insignificance when a fellow human is facing such a difficult time.

That's a great post mate and I can only applaud you for it.

Very sad to hear, just a young man. Sending all my thoughts and best wishes to Liam and his family!

Keep strong, Liam.

Cancer can go and do one.

@hibs.net private member DarlingtonHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    It would be nice if his former clubs could do something on behalf of pancreatic cancer. A wee tournament with Celtic, Man United, Hibs, Leeds. Something like that. It's a form of cancer that is proving incredibly difficult to fight, and it would be good to have an event which raises awareness as well as funds.
    Great idea.

Left by mutual consent!

All the best to your dad GD.

Prayers go out to Liam and his family. 36 years old with 3 kids. Devastating news.
    Last edited by Scottie; 13-11-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Not looking good if it is indeed pancreatic cancer. Only really one way to survive that and that's to have a Whipple (removal of the organ) op if it hasn't spread or touching the major blood vessels next to the head of the pancreas, which is often the case. Unfortunately even that has a high failure rate.

I've had family members with the same cancer and the reason it gets so many people is because it creates little or no symptoms at the beginning. When the symptoms do appear, they start of vague and the most common one is having the ****s/diarrhoea which a lot of people think nothing of until other symptoms appear like painless jaundice etc. However, pancreatic related diarrhoea is pretty different from your normal run of the mill upset belly stuff. It's usually pale (yellow/beige/clay/white), floats and leaves a grease trail on the water. If anyone ever gets this on a constant basis, don't let your doc fob you off with IBS. Lots of docs miss this too and believe it or not a lot of docs never think of the pancreas. It's always the colon or the tummy they think of or even the gallbladder. There's a reason this is known as the silent killer as it causes next to no symptoms when it's stage 1-3 and when it does, it's usually the last thing people think of. I'd be surprised if most people on here even knew where their pancreas is located and what it does. Yet it's in line to become the 3rd most common cancer in a few years time.
    Last edited by sh00byd00; 13-11-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Really sorry to hear that. I wouldn't wish this illness on anyone.

So unfair.

Best wishes to your dad and the rest of your family for the time that he has left.

Horrible horrible news. Thoughts go out to him